1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fully boxed frame vs c-channel

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by WrigglingWilly, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Sep 26, 2019 at 6:55 AM
    WrigglingWilly

WrigglingWilly [OP] Well used Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 4x4 5.7 8.1bed
    LineX
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. Sep 26, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Interesting read and timely, thanks. I've got boxing the frame on my to do list as it's considered necessary for a proper LT conversion.

3. Sep 26, 2019 at 8:05 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    In the article it mentioned that fully boxing a frame was hard on the mounts because of stress. Causing the suspension to have to do more work. But since you will have killer LT suspension which is supposed to be doing All of the work. I would imagine boxing the frame would have no ill affects on all the mounting locations along the frame. I can only imagine that the type of stuff you will be doing with long travel, the frame needs to be super rigid for it to all work together properly. Will you be doing a cage?

On the last off-road trip, and even on the freeway I was looking in my Sideview mirrors at the bed. Watching it just jiggle down the highway LMFAO. All I could tell myself was, it’s putting in some work right now as it was designed to do. My 02 ram RCSB had a fully boxed frame. I remember thinking how bad ass that was at the time.

4. Sep 26, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    No plans for a cage...........yet. Just a bed cage for the rear shocks. I'm a little concerned about boxing 'cause once you beef up one area you've effectively moved the stress to another location. I'm likely to be like a dog chasing it's tail. The frame curves up at the back of the cab to meet the bed and switches from double C to C. I've seen that the area left open. Then the bed can flex upward and hit the cab. It would help if I knew what I'm doing. Oh well, what could go wrong?

joonbug and 15whtrd[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Sep 26, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    It’s definitely something like a science experiment if it wasn’t designed that way. Boxing in the frame sounds simple enough and seems like a no brainer. But you’re right it’s just going to translate that stress to another location. I’m sure there’s been a few guys that have boxed their Tundra frame, but it’s hard to know what problems they had to chase to get it right. I remember reading on this form of someone whose bed started to rip. I can’t remember if it was because his frame was boxed or if he had reinforcement of the frame that caused the stress to translate to the bed. Too bad a frame company that makes custom frames for hot rods didn’t make one for the Tundra. Obviously that would be expensive but would also be super bad ass!

831Tun[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 26, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    I think it's @n2deep that has some stress related bed issues but not sure if he's boxed or not. I know @osidepunker, @papasmurf, @froggy78 all have boxed frames and @TRD15559 is in the process.

joonbug and 15whtrd[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Sep 26, 2019 at 9:49 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    I recall reading on here somewhere that their ride went to hell after boxing the frame because the suspension wasn’t engineered for it from the start.

8. Sep 26, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Full LT, full armor, fully self contained Speed Glamper
    Craig, Zac, and Jimmy just off the top of my head all have their beds falling apart from off road because the oem frame flexes too much.

I boxed my frame and my bed cage is bolted to the floor of the bed at all four corners. I have zero cracks in my bed.

The rear half needs to be boxed if you're gonna of road. Its MANDATORY

I have been considering boxing the center section as well, but not super high on my list of priorities.

One thing that article does not mention is that if you take the same size frames, say 6" tall by 4" wide, one boxe the other C channel, the boxed frame will be MUCH stronger, and yes, it will flex a lot less. So yes it will get stress cracks, but only if you EXCEED its limits. On a Tundra, boxing the frame makes it so much stronger that it does not get stress cracks; at least with the loads I am putting it though. I weight 8000 lbs, 4000 over the rear axle. So far so good.

9. Sep 26, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    I did not notice a change in the ride quality after boxing it. But I did notice my bed no longer hits the cab

10. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for clarifying, I had it backwards LOL.

osidepunker[QUOTED] and 831Tun like this.
  11. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    Another thing not clarified in the article is what TYPE of stress. The article alludes to carrying weight but never mentions anything about off road/ bumps, that type of stress.

joonbug, ColoradoTJ and 15whtrd like this.
  12. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:14 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Hbjeff, 15whtrd and 831Tun like this.
  13. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:27 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    @osidepunker that completely makes sense that the flexing of the frame would crack the bed and not the other way around. I don’t know what I was thinking. I swear if I ever come into an abundance of funds I would like to build my truck. Probably have Bruce do it. Boxed frame, bed cage, LT and of course don’t forget 3 inch leaf packs! Then only to decide whether the rear needs to be spring under or spring over. Because of course if I have an abundance of funds there is a trailer in my future LOL.

papasmurf likes this.
  14. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    I got you bro!

Do SUA with a jonny bar and a removable air shock. The air shock raises your ride height when you have a heavy hitch weight and the jonny bar locates your axle and prevents axle wrap

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:31 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
  16. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:31 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    HAHAHAHA^^

15whtrd likes this.
  17. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    That’s right! I did see a picture of someone that had a removable air shock. He just swung it up out of the way and re-bolted it to the frame. That sure is a sick set up. Was that you that had it? I get everyone’s builds confused.

831Tun likes this.
  18. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    no not me but lots of raptor guys do that and I seen one tundra with that setup

19. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:38 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    IG, Kibbe setup is my guess as to where you saw it

20. Sep 26, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    This is actually the second time he has done this. Racer, has heavy tool boxes up front, heavy camper, receiver extension= bent frames.

15whtrd[QUOTED] and 831Tun like this.
  21. Sep 26, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    That receiver extension sure puts a lot of leverage on everything. So this is the second time? Time to change strategy or beef that frame up. But I guess if it’s in the budget...

22. Sep 26, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    papasmurf

papasmurf Savage Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    For those of you interested in frame boxing, i documented this process on my build thread, but ill post some pics here too... and for clarification, this is a must for heavy off road use, otherwise you will have bed cracking and bed hitting the cab, stiffening the frame allows the suspension to do the work. it doesnt move the "stress" elsewhere, it puts it properly on the suspension.

they key is completely enclosing the frame. from the double C all the way to the end, and including all gaps. you can see here in the second pic i made plates to fill in the gaps from the dimple die plates. that is important.

23. Sep 26, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    Uhh, "it puts it properly on the suspension." that's still moving it elsewhere. :rofl::boink:

24. Sep 26, 2019 at 11:40 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yes please!:spending:

papasmurf[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Sep 26, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    well .. ok ill give you that, but instead of the frame doing "suspension" work, it moves it to the suspension completely.. ok i guess i shouldnt have said that exactly that way, but it doesnt move the effort onto the body / cab or anything else other than suspension.

15whtrd and 831Tun[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Sep 26, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    i got you... let me know when you are ready! LOL

27. Oct 9, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    **Zombie thread alert**

I’m curious what all you pro-frame boxing guys think about my situation. I traded my 4Runner in on my truck, and I’d like to continue the off roading adventures I often took my family on in the 4Runner. Nothing high-speed, but plenty of twisted up, rutted out trails that had me in situations with a wheel (sometimes two) in the air. The 4Runner frame never flexed at all, and I was able to get anywhere I wanted. I know the tundra is capable, but it’s a lot bigger and heavier, and I’m wondering about how much stress the kind of off roading we do will put on the Tundra. I want to prevent the stress cracks and bed/tailgate issues I’ve read about on this forum.

Although I will miss the 4Runner, we simply outgrew it. And I’m not knocking the Tundra; in fact, I love it. I’m approaching this situation as a problem to be solved. What should we do to ensure our continued adventures don’t cause problems down the road for my new truck?

Geo4x4 and 831Tun like this.
  28. Oct 9, 2020 at 6:09 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    IMO, boxing the tundra frame is pretty much just for LT and high speed stuff but wouldn't hurt a MT build. I think there may have been some guys that went LT, put racks on the bed and an RTT and discovered the bed was being torn apart. But, ask @osidepunker

snivilous, papasmurf, Geo4x4 and 2 others like this.
  29. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:12 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Box the rear half up to the reinforced center section. Its mandatory for all tundras that will see regular off road use. Even MT trucks have been cracking their beds

I've been thinking hard about boxing the center section under the cab as well

30. Oct 13, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Ignorant question: does boxing the rear half require relocating the spare?

Products Discussed in

To Top