1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

From Wrangler to Tundra Build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by 1FSTREX, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Mar 7, 2020 at 9:54 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    Currently as the Tundra sits:

Last October 2019 I purchased a 2019 Tundra TRD Sport.

I purchased it to tow our 2019 Forest River 23MK Travel Trailer. I was towing it with a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD and it was absolutely horrible. I cannot be happier with the towing capacity and power of the Tundra.

I absolutely love cars, I have a long history of building different kinds of vehicles. I had a 2005 Subaru STI that I built to compete in SCCA ASP division. My most recent build is a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I have taken through the Rubicon many times and used to go camping.

Figured I would start this journal to track the upgrades and changes I make to the Tundra as I know I won't be able to keep it stock long.

Build List Thus Far:
    - 35% Tint
    - 18" TRD Off-road Wheels Powder Coated Black
    - TRD Pro Center Caps
    - Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags
    - 1A Auto Towing Mirrors
    - TRD Pro Black OEM Badging
    - Toyota Tundra Bed Mat
    - Line-X Bed Liner

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. Mar 7, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    Welcome from NC!

3. Mar 7, 2020 at 9:58 PM
    Turtle

Turtle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD 4x4 CM MGM
    Aries Side Bars, DeeZee low profile tool box, weathertech mats, TRD RSB
    Welcome from Louisiana, hope the credit card can stand the abuse that is going to happen. Again Welcome.

4. Mar 7, 2020 at 10:56 PM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    Welcome from Nevada

5. Mar 8, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    Welcome from Ontario Canada

6. Mar 8, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

7. Mar 8, 2020 at 6:27 AM
    Borador

Borador New Member

Member:
    Olive Branch, MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4 w/1794 Interior upgrade
    Welcome (to the Tundra & MGM family). Great looking truck, I also have a jeep (TJ).

8. Mar 9, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    Thanks all! I am excited to start doing little things to the truck...which will no doubt lead to bigger things.

First big thing was to get rid of the horrible 20" sport wheels. Not only do I not like 20s on a truck, I hate machined wheels. So my plan was to buy the prior model TRD Pro wheels...until I found out that they were simply TRD Off Road 18s, powder coated black, and TRD center caps. So I went on a hunt for a set of TRD Off Road wheels that I could have powder coated black. I ended up stumbling across a guy that was selling his powder coated TRD Off-road wheels with TRD center caps right down the street from me! $1000 bucks with usable tires and I can sell my 20s to recoup a little cash.

I have to say, I really dig the look of the black 18s over the machined 20s.

Then completely swapped over. I have airbags in the rear so I am dying to get the Bilstein 6112s to level out the truck.

They guy that I got the wheels from went to the snow a lot so they could definitely use a polish, but I love that he went with a more matte than gloss black.

HbbTundra08, Rica25 and TheBeast like this.
  9. Mar 9, 2020 at 6:31 PM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    Looks awesome

Rica25 likes this.
  10. Mar 9, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    Thanks! Very happy with the truck thus far. About to hit 5k miles, many of which are towing miles. Still amazed every time I drive it.

Rica25 likes this.
  11. Mar 10, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    To go along with the black wheels, I just couldn't stand the look of the chrome badges anymore. I am horrible about taking progress pictures but it wasn't too bad, I was able to get the badges off with a hair dryer and minimal effort. It did leave the majority of the 3M tape on the body of the truck. I just heated up the 3M tape and rolled it off the body of the truck. Here is a nice progress picture and to see the difference.

Finished product. I have to say, I absolutely LOVE the look of the black on the MGM and over the chrome in general.

And a picture of them with the wheels, loving the blacked out look.

12. Mar 13, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    I ended up making a big decision and sold my beloved Jeep. There were a lot of items on it for wheeling that I didn’t want to give up. So I went ahead and bought the Toyota bed rail kit and started mounting stuff from my Jeep.

I got my tow strap, angry beaver shovel, fisker axe, and I still have two FuelPax gas cans to get mounted. Still have a second FuelPax to mount and change out the bolts for tamper proof bolts to help further secure them.

HbbTundra08 likes this.
  13. Mar 16, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    Really happy with how the truck is coming together. The black TRD Pro badges and the black TRD Pro style wheels on top of the MGM of the truck just looks amazing to me. Now I’m dying to get 6112s to level the truck out. Haha, it never ends.

Truck is currently at Line-X for a bed liner and then on Wednesday it goes to Detail Maniac to have a ceramic coat applied to the body, PPF installed on the headlights, and the wheels polished and ceramic coated as well.

14. Mar 17, 2020 at 7:40 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    Amongst the COVID crisis, I am finding time to still check things off my list. I got the truck over to Line-X to get a standard bed liner installed. I am always so happy with the quality of work and attention to detail.

HbbTundra08 and JH5370 like this.
  15. Mar 17, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    I love my linex, I think every truck needs it. Congrats on the Tundra!

16. Mar 17, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin I now walk into the wild

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD-OR, Cement
    I bought a brand new 2017 JKU. Many of my friends would say, “You’ll love it...when it’s working and not in the shop but be prepared for issues galore.” At 12,000 miles the engine exploded and I was 3,000 miles away from my home. Even though it was still under warranty, it took a lot of fighting over the phone and 3 months for FCA to finally agree to replace the engine and transport it back to me....I WILL NEVER get an FCA product again. Jeeps are money pits whether they’re working or not.

As soon as I got it back with the new engine, I traded it in that day for a TOYOTA! Hard to beat their reliability and incredible resale value.

You’re dead to me Jeep and I wish you wouldn’t tease so many others hearts and wallets.

17. Mar 18, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    fiveduece

fiveduece I like to party.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD sport MGM crewmax
    tint, N-Fabs, trifold cover, bilstein 5100 w/spacers, +2 shackles, MT deegan wheels
    How was the bed rail install? I had them in my '20, didn't realize how handy they were till I got my new tundra. Thinking about getting them, but wasn't sure the install process. Did you have to drill holes in your bed to mount them?

Good looking truck, nearly identical to my latest gift to myself.

18. Mar 18, 2020 at 7:50 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    Thanks! I am loving the Tundra thus far. I think my biggest gripe thus far (no its not the MPG) is the lack of Apple Car Play.

So I have to be honest, I had no problems with my Jeep; I found it very reliable actually. It wasn't until I started to wheel it aggressively and do the larger modifications that I started to have problems. Although, the problems I had were directly related to the modifications I was doing and the abuse I was putting it through.

With that said, I know a lot of other forum members that had similar issues as you when they transitioned over to the 3.6l and then ran into even worse issues when trying to work with FCA for warranty claims. I am so thankful I never had to go through that.

I do agree with you that I am SO HAPPY to be a Toyota owner. So far I am extremely impressed with the truck, the raved reviews about its reliability, and I can't wait to keep it forever!

The bed rail install could be done by a 10 year old that can read and provided the tools required haha. All Tundra's come pre-drilled and tapped (threaded) so all you have to do is put the right bed rail where its supposed to go and screw in the bolts. Took me all of about 10 minutes to install. As you know, well worth the investment!

Sounds like you have some good taste. ;) lol.

19. Mar 19, 2020 at 1:49 AM
    fiveduece

fiveduece I like to party.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD sport MGM crewmax
    tint, N-Fabs, trifold cover, bilstein 5100 w/spacers, +2 shackles, MT deegan wheels
    Thanks. I looked for mounting holes when I was waiting on dealer to get paperwork ready to sign, but didn't see any. So chocked the rails up to a loss at that time. Actually, after asking you the question last night, I kept searching and found thread about having to cut the spray in bed liner out of the mounting holes. So I guess these are back on the list of things to do.

20. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    Yeah I saw that thread to. Bad bed liner company. They are supposed to plug the holes for you.

21. Mar 20, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    I wanted to prolong the life of my truck's paint and did a lot of research. I realized that with the schedule the military holds for me, I do not have the time to make sure I am constantly waxing and polishing my truck. So I decided to pay for a ceramic coating to help add further protection to the longevity of my paint. If any of you are in Northern California and need detail work, please call Man at Detail Maniac. Here are my thoughts below.

I have been following a local business called Detail Maniac since they first popped up on the Subaru Forums many years ago. I saw the raved reviews Detail Maniac received from the Subaru community as Detail Maniac grew as a business. Fast forward to this month, I finally had a vehicle to take to Detail Maniac; my new 2019 Toyota Tundra that came off the lot not looking as it should look being a brand-new vehicle.

Customer Service: Man, the owner, promptly answered my initial call. He made me feel important, a priority, and that I would be taken care of. Something we all want as a potential customer. He directed me to his Manager Adrian who also went above and beyond to make me feel "special" and kept me very informed. Throughout all my visits to Detail Maniac, whether it was Man, Adrian, or one of their detailers, they were all accommodating, knowledgeable, and put their customer's needs first. The simple fact that they took such time, interest, and care in their customers' needs make them a better company than any other. Customer service is a lost art and Man and his team have truly mastered this.

Pricing: Detailing is time intensive and requires a lot of manual labor. This equates to hourly wages to pay for the detailer to work on your vehicle. Because of this, detailing is an expensive service to have done on your vehicle. With that said, detailing is a business that you get what you pay for. Detail Maniac is extremely competitive in pricing and still delivers only the best work.

Quality of Work: When you buy a brand-new car, you think you are getting a brand-new car. I have to say, after the work that Detail Maniac put into my truck, my truck did NOT look brand new when I drove it off the lot. Detail Maniac made it look the way it should have looked when I drove it off the Toyota lot. I asked to have my Tundra coated with CQuartz ceramic coating to help prolong the life of the truck clear coat. Little did I know this also included a pre-wash, clay bar, polishing, and then the ceramic coating. I also paid to have paint protection film (PPF) installed on my headlights to help combat oxidation and rock chips. I could not even tell the PPF was installed because they did such a great job and use high quality materials. My truck looks absolutely phenomenal. Being in the military, we are engrained with attention to detail. Detail Maniac's attention to detail is second to none and they insure their customers receive only the best work on their vehicles.

To further express how impressed I am with Detail Maniac, I will be going back for a Paint Protection Film (PPF) for the front end of my Tundra. Moving forward, I will continue to return to Man and his team for my future detailing needs.

Now for the pictures!

JH5370 likes this.
  22. Mar 22, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    With all the COVID-19 quarantine drama, I have had some time to wrap up outstanding projects on the Tundra of the parts that I pulled off my Jeep to put onto the truck. I finally fabricated all the mounts to get the FuelPax, Fisker Axe, and Angry Beaver shovel mounted to the inside of my bed. I also got my traction pads and tow strap installed back there as well. I am very happy with how it came out.

23. Mar 22, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin I now walk into the wild

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD-OR, Cement
    Nice! I used to have RotoPax on my JKU. Did you just drill through the bed and mount the FuelPax mounting bracket through it?

24. Mar 22, 2020 at 6:19 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    I did not, I definitely do not want to drill any unnecessary holes in my bed.

I purchased some 1/4” x 4” x 36” sheet metal from Home Depot to craft some mounts from. I cut it to size and drilled the holes for it to mount to my bed rails. I then drilled holes for the FuelPax mounts and even added some rubber bumpers on the bottom to protect the bed from any rattles.

25. Mar 23, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    YAAASSSSS!!!!! Finally. :yes:

Products Discussed in

To Top