1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

From The Desk of Mike Sweerg

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Coal Dragger, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Sep 7, 2021 at 8:12 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    To: Design and engineering team for Toyota Tundra, Toyota Motor North America.

From: Mike Sweerg, Executive Chief Engineer Toyota Tundra.

Subject: 2022 model year + updates, and refresh project.

Hello Team Tundra, in a few short weeks our work on the 2022 Tundra will be unveiled to the public. I want to thank all of you for your hard work, dedication, and focus in our efforts to bring this new truck to the market.

A well deserved Pat on the back is in order, but this is the calm before the storm. As new trucks hit the market and reach customers expect an all hands on deck effort to identify unexpected problems and address them to the customers satisfaction. We will be making changes to production as quickly as possible to make sure early adopters problems don’t continue to affect future customers.

Within a few months of roll out, the process will begin to update this new generation of Tundra in the next 15-20 years with a mid cycle refresh. Customer input will be very important during this process, and fortunately many of our current customers are already giving feedback on Internet forums devoted to Toyota trucks.

I can’t begin to archive all of their suggestions but a few that standout:

1.) Customers are expressing a desire for more chrome trim, both exterior and interior. So we need to see what surfaces we can apply chrome finish to and achieve acceptable durability.

2.) The vast majority of customers are disappointed with the payload of the 2007-2021 Tundra. They claim it rides poorly due to the stiff springs and shocks, and that they never need all that hauling ability. We should explore accommodation of this desire by lowering the payload significantly, maybe a change to a fully independent suspension front and rear with softer springs could accomplish this?

3.) The redesign of the Tacoma continues to gain accolades. Particularly the change to the 2GR-FKS 3.5L V6. Our Tacoma customers love the sporty high revving V6 in the Tacoma, and Tundra owners are now clamoring for this to be an optional engine in the Tundra.

4.) On that front the decision to reduce cylinder count and displacement is extremely popular. We should explore the possibility of further trimming down the size of engines offered in the Tundra.

Those are just a few standout suggestions. I am sure all of you hear other great ideas from time to time, and we should archive them here to draw inspiration from.

2. Sep 7, 2021 at 8:19 PM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    Are they though?

nixon, Filthyphil and Darkness like this.
  3. Sep 7, 2021 at 8:20 PM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
  4. Sep 7, 2021 at 8:22 PM
    Coal Dragger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Yes our customers love the 3.5L in the Tacoma. Look how many we’ve sold! They rave about the high RPM rush as the engine comes up on the cams at 5000RPM!

Darkness, woods and des2mtn[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Sep 7, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    TrashcanBand

TrashcanBand New Member

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    That 3rd paragraph though. :rofl:

6. Sep 7, 2021 at 10:22 PM
    2Tundras

2Tundras New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 1794 Edition
    I think they were big in the 90's. How about spoilers?

images_a134703fd646ad739e667cb1130d73d568a16285.jpg....and Lambo Doorsupload_2021-9-7_23-22-19.jpg

OppoMojo, D4x4TRD and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  7. Sep 7, 2021 at 10:31 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.7k Supercharged 2008
    I thought that was hilarious :rofl: and I thought it was real, even after reading the 15-20 year refresh cycle lmao

8. Sep 7, 2021 at 10:34 PM
    2Tundras

2Tundras New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 1794 Edition
    Fake wood siding like this lovely Camaro? This '67 Camaro "Waikiki Edition" has shag carpeting!! Could these work on a pickup? These Rarest Camaro features could be coming to a Tundra near you. Let the foto-shopping begin!

images_a875026a0833d5f66e4ec4e717ab01f6ac832874.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Ahab and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  9. Sep 7, 2021 at 10:34 PM
    Coal Dragger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2Tundras,

The spoiler idea is excellent and is proven on 1/2 ton pickups. Remember Dodge did this on short bed Ram 1500’s.

Lambo doors also have merits for customers in urban areas with tight parking spots. When they go to Bed Bath & Beyond it’s easier to get out from Lambo doors in a tight spot. At least assuming they don’t park across three spaces to protect their Tundra.

I will pass this on to the engineering team for doors, and body fixtures.

Thanks!

Mike Sweerg

Nic146 likes this.
  10. Sep 7, 2021 at 10:45 PM
    2Tundras

2Tundras New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 1794 Edition
    upload_2021-9-7_23-44-0.jpg1991 Dodge Dakota Sport

Ahab and Bikeric like this.
  11. Sep 7, 2021 at 10:47 PM
    Coal Dragger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    A convertible top Tundra could open up a whole new market segment.

Plus give more real estate to our team of interior designers to make things chrome.

Keep up the good work.

Mike Sweerg

IsaiahCanada likes this.
  12. Sep 7, 2021 at 10:53 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    turbo hybrid 3 cylinder diesel. this will sell like hotcakes.

with an 12 speed auto of course

13. Sep 7, 2021 at 10:58 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Will that really shift enough?

14. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:13 PM
    Coal Dragger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Team,

Empty Lord brings up a good point about powertrains and that is going to be a pretty big part of any refresh, or even a new design.

What we are seeing from some customers is that they want the truck to get much much better fuel efficiency, and be as complicated as possible. Another large segment of customers want the engine and transmission to be as simple as the law will allow, fortunately they don’t care about power output or fuel efficiency though. This will work well for a two engine strategy, the question is what will those two engines look like to meet customer desires and expectations?

Engine/transmission 1.)

Small displacement, high complexity… I mean “features” that is the marketing language for complex. Remember that team it’s not complex, it’s packed with features! This one needs to be super fuel efficient, so tuning, throttle mapping, and fueling need to maximize low fuel consumption. Power is not important, the customers have made it clear they don’t care.

This will need to be paired with a very capable transmission, at least capable of utilizing the maximum spread of ratios possible. I propose a CVT that is tuned to maximize time spent at ratios keeping the paired engine below peak torque or peak power unless the throttle input is 100%.

Engine/transmission 2.)

For this one it just needs to be simple. Many of our customers associate unreliability with parts count, and they particularly distrust electronics. Can we get an engine that has a carburetor, magneto, and hand crank starter past government regulatory agencies? Our legal team will need to determine if the liability risk is too high, particularly on the hand crank starters. Maybe a pull cord with a recoil starter? Thoughts?

Transmission choice for this one is strait forward. Less gears equals less parts count. A 3 speed manual is more than adequate here.

Mike Sweerg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  15. Sep 8, 2021 at 12:14 AM
    Coal Dragger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    FWD Tundra,

Thanks for your input, I understand you don’t want a Diesel engine. At least that is how I chose to read it.

Not to worry at Toyota Motor North America we are committed to not offering a Diesel engine in the Tundra or any other products.

Regards,

Mike Sweerg

16. Sep 8, 2021 at 5:04 AM
    TundraTed

TundraTed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD Sport Crewmax 4x4
    In order: Orvis dog cover for rear bench seat, OE gun safe, Husky liners front/rear, Tyger tonneau tri fold, Rough Country seat covers
    Chief Mike,

Most customers do not want to customize their Tundras, so please make it extremely difficult to do so.

Bumpers are dumb safety things lets just nix them altogether. I really think all previous gen Tundra engines run too cool, lets remove the radiator and just rely on some nanotechnology fluid. Engines should be built to accept extreme heat.

For the interior, only light color materials and super small buttons. No one uses their truck for truck purposes anymore.

The frame should probably be made of wood. A strong wood of course.

17. Sep 8, 2021 at 5:14 AM
    FO LO

FO LO New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 CM w/ 5.7 and 4.30s
    Thanks Mike you're a life saver. I wouldn't know what to do with all that extra natural torque, better fuel economy and exaust braking. Couldnt handle all the time and money saved from the 15-20k mile oil and fuel filter change intervals

Wait and the diesel engine lasts twice as long too?! Man I'm glad I dint have to deal with that before the plug ins and turbo gassers come out

18. Sep 8, 2021 at 5:34 AM
    FO LO

FO LO New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 CM w/ 5.7 and 4.30s
    Disappointed you didnt remove all fluid coolers from the entire truck and add electric rotary shifter on the dash that throws the truck in park when your backing up with driver door open, auto stop start and 3 cylinder deactivation in 6 7 8 9 10th.................gears

And fake 5.7v8 engine sounds pumped into the cabin over the speakers. That would make it a beast

Coal Dragger[OP] likes this.
  19. Sep 8, 2021 at 5:58 AM
    9DivDoc

9DivDoc New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM MGM 2021 SKM CM Limited
    Cracked me up thanks for the yucks...great way to start the morning...

The cab should be bigger and the bed shorter...

What is the point of a bed in a modern pick up truck anyway eh?

Off to the future...we're stylin'

Cpl_Punishment and FO LO like this.
  20. Sep 8, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    9DivDoc

9DivDoc New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM MGM 2021 SKM CM Limited

The upper level trim should be called the
    Feng Shui

21. Sep 8, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    FO LO

FO LO New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 CM w/ 5.7 and 4.30s
    Mike I thought we were keeping the two fake hood scoops and adding a third for the greater good

You added a grab handle to the driver a piller. Your going to have to remove that immediately. I am not buying a $50k truck and not having to order a $200 genuine toyota parts grab handle and take 4 hours to install it tearing up half the cab in the process

Unbelievable

tttrdpro and Coal Dragger[OP] like this.
  22. Sep 8, 2021 at 7:21 AM
    cuse93

cuse93 New Member

Member:
    that's hilarious. i'd suggest adding a 3rd tier to the floor in the rear passenger area of the Crewmax so my dogs can be even more miserable back there with the seats folded up.

Cpl_Punishment and FO LO[QUOTED] like this.
  23. Sep 8, 2021 at 7:26 AM
    FO LO

FO LO New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 CM w/ 5.7 and 4.30s
    Diesels will cut into that Toyota maintenance profit too much. 15k mile oil change interval cut profit to a thurd. In this new trucks owners manual the entire maintenance interval and schedule section will be a website address and phone number to schedule your 3k miles $150 oil change at your nearest dealer.

It will take you a week and 10 emails to get a print out of when and what maintenance needs to be done. And it will probably be a $20 genuine toyota printout. And it will probably require a 10 piece oil filter and at least 3 custom tools to do your own oil change.

Coal Dragger[OP] likes this.
  24. Sep 8, 2021 at 10:09 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    And remember to include a 3 second delay between the driver going WOT and any kind of response from the drivetrain. This will make them question if burning all that extra fuel to pass that slow-moving motorhome on a two lane highway is worth it or not.

25. Sep 8, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    Coal Dragger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Team,

Excellent suggestions! The thermodynamics and materials science teams have been working on power plants that require no cooling for awhile, but we aren’t there just yet. We know Tundra buyers despise the large grill openings needed to keep the current trucks cool under heavy engine load. A solid 99.999999999% of them never tow or haul anything, and would prefer to have a smaller more tasteful grill. One proposal would be to downsize the radiator, and eliminate all the other heat exchangers aside from the air conditioning condenser. We could then make the grill tiny, per customer desires, but it would mean the engine would frequently need to de-rate itself to stay within normal operating temps.

What does everyone think of that as a strategy for reducing grill size, and what do we use that front end space for instead? More chrome? More black plastic cladding? One of you mentioned non functional hood scoops, maybe we could put some non functional scoops where the larger grill was?

Keep the excellence coming!

Mike Sweerg

FO LO likes this.
  26. Sep 8, 2021 at 11:00 AM
    Toondra

Toondra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Platinum
    Stock for now
    The "Carolina lean" should come as an option so that visibility is hindered and offloading is easier.

27. Sep 8, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    ChillTree

ChillTree New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Pro Rims
    i saw more chrome was the #1 priority and i almost lost it lol

28. Sep 8, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    I hope they don't put anymore storage in this truck. The more storage I have, the more stuff I can keep in my truck and that just leads to clutter.

29. Sep 8, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    DuneShoot

DuneShoot New Member

Member:
    West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Limited Cement
    Thinking we need a chrome tail gate grill.

FO LO, basian99 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  30. Sep 8, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    TundraTed

TundraTed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD Sport Crewmax 4x4
    In order: Orvis dog cover for rear bench seat, OE gun safe, Husky liners front/rear, Tyger tonneau tri fold, Rough Country seat covers
    Chief Mike,

Go ahead and reduce the grill size to something like the SSR. Maybe reach out to legal and partner with Chevy on the design. (think Supra)

The shark fin antenna should be relocated to one of the hood scoops. The fin should be chrome, and should have been from the start.

Thinking ahead, let’s start to POC a 4 cylinder engine that runs on Brawndo. Dino juice won’t be around forever...

Products Discussed in

To Top