1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Foxwing Awning

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by JMB, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Jul 29, 2016 at 5:04 PM
    JMB

JMB [OP] Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    I was thinking about getting a Foxwing awning. Searched this site and found 0. So here goes.
    I ordered one after talking a friend that's into expedition type stuff in his Taco. He said he'd seen them in person and that they are awesome. So $584 later mine arrived today. First impression only, I'll update after I spend some time camping and on the beach in a few weeks.

The installation was fairly easy. I'd say I had it on in about 30 minutes, including unwrapping and reading the instructions. First attempt I had it too far back, so I corrected that and it seems well worth the money. I will cut my crossbars and may move it more inboard. The distance aft leaves a gap with the shell, but I can raise the window in the shell without stressing the awning, so it stays there for now.

Deploying is a snap, even with the crossbars in the way. Stowing is also pretty easy, although there is one spot in the middle that is a little tight. Being a short fat guy it's a little high. I can do it from the ground, but it much easier with a step ladder, which I take with me anyway to access my cargo box, so no big deal.DSC_2533.jpg DSC_2534.jpg DSC_2535.jpg DSC_2536.jpg DSC_2537.jpg DSC_2538.jpg DSC_2539.jpg DSC_2540.jpg DSC_2541.jpg DSC_2542.jpg DSC_2543.jpg DSC_2544.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Jul 29, 2016 at 8:31 PM
    omaguz

omaguz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    omar
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey 1794 Tundra Crew Max
    Dude that is huge!!!! Makes me wish I had a Cap, please more pics and comments when you can!!!

3. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    JMB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    It would. I don't do that but my alma mata (ODU) seems to be enticing me, so could be... I think for those breezy fall afternoons you would need sand bags to secure the poles.

4. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    JMB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    Will do. But only old farts have a cap :thumbsup:. Going to OBX in a couple of weeks for the Perseid meteor shower, so will get some then.

omaguz[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 30, 2016 at 9:08 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Pretty nifty. It would also come in handy for single day trips, for target shooting. I can think of a lot of things. Cool. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot are being used for some serious tailgating. sand bags a good idea. Good excuse to go to the beach.

6. Jul 30, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Man I'd use the shit out of that during college football season. Nice!

7. Jul 30, 2016 at 7:03 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I've had caps on all my trucks going back to 1975 when I was "20". They take about 5/10 minutes to take off/put on.

JMB[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 16, 2016 at 8:41 PM
    JMB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    On the beach at OBX. I can say that this thing is awesome. Plenty of shade, easy to set up. Still conditions by myself in less than ten minutes. Had to move the truck due to my wife's insistence that the view of the water wasn't very good. Stowed enough to move and facing about a 12 kt breeze, still 15 minutes including stowing, moving and re-deploying. With the breeze it takes two people, watch the foxwing video and they will tell you the same, with instructions. And it's great for tailgating. Mama said it's worth the price even if we never use it again. I don't agree, but if my wife says spending money is a good thing, then I'm going to agree.

DSC_2550.jpg DSC_2551.jpg DSC_2554.jpg

9. Oct 15, 2016 at 8:25 PM
    thoj

thoj New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 black tundra SR5 crewmax 4x4
    That's awesome. does the back rear window hit any of the bracing?

10. Oct 17, 2016 at 12:03 PM
    JMB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    No, it touches the canvas if I have the poles lowered, but not enough to damage anything.

thoj[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top