1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For those that have installed their own coilovers...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by monaco730, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Feb 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    monaco730

monaco730 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    Hello Tundra fam. One day I will be getting coilovers. I want a specific lift measurement (3 inches). When coilovers arrive, you never really know exactly what they are set at from factory. Also, once coilovers are installed, if you don't have the correct lift setting, you are "supposed" to take them completely off and adjust the collars and put them back on (yes some do this without taking them off and use spring compressors). So for those that got new coilovers and wanted a specific height, how did you achieve this? Did you have to guess at the collar position, put on, take off, adjust, put back on, take off, adjust, put back on, etc??? Or is there some cheat sheet out there that I'm not aware of? Thanks for the help.

2. Feb 13, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Law323, zcarpenter92, 15whtrd and 2 others like this.
  3. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    monaco730

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    I appreciate the info but I already have a purchase plan.

4. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    chickunfut

chickunfut Low-buck Ramp Truck

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Crewmax
    Sas and monaco730[OP] like this.
  5. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    So you are buying from a dealer that does not know how to set a coilover???? Mine were correct but I checked the setting before I put them on anyway.

Black Wolf likes this.
  6. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    monaco730

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    I am buying Fox shocks but from a second party that is not automotive specific. But regardless if they know how to set a coilover height or not, if i ever want to change the height down the road, my original question would still be in place. What I am looking for is a "cheat sheet" or other's experience on dialing in a specific ride height without taking the coilovers on and off multiple times.

7. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    monaco730

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Thanks! This seems like the solution. How come so many people talk about having to use a spring compressor and taking the coilover completely off? Maybe Icon and Fox are different. I will be going with Fox, should have mentioned that.

8. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Mine were pretty close when I put them on. Still need to adjust the drivers side up a hair to account for the Yota lean though.

9. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:29 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Sas and monaco730[OP] like this.
  10. Feb 13, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    There are two different types of adjustable coilovers I know of. One uses a clip that can be set at 2, 3, or 4 different settings along the shock body. This kind usually requires complete removal and the the coil spring to be compressed enough in a spring compressor in order to move the clip up or down along the shock body to readjust the ride height. The Bilstein 6112s are like this and come with instructions describing which setting achieves a particular amount of estimated lift.

The other kind uses a threaded collar that rides along a threaded shock body, or a threaded sleeve on the shock body, to adjust height. These are what I call true adjustables. Once installed, they don’t have to be removed from the truck or disassembled to readjust. Most you have to do is safely lift the front of the truck and use a special spanner wrench (sometimes included when buying new coilovers) to thread the collar up or down to the desired height. I’ve found it a lot easier to remove the front wheels when doing this and spraying a lubricant on the threads. Sometimes even then it may require some force to thread the collar. Oh, and some come with two collars where one acts more as a locking collar. Either way, this kind usually requires a bit of trial and error figuring out how much to adjust to achieve the desired ride height. These are also usually of higher quality, designed more for performance instead of lift, and as a result can be more expensive.

Hope this helps.

mtndds98 and monaco730[OP] like this.
  11. Feb 13, 2019 at 7:56 PM
    monaco730

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Thank you for your input. I would be getting the Fox's with the collars. Someone else told me to lubricate the threads as well so thank you for that. With your help and help from others i have learned to jack up the front and leave the suspension at full droop, loosen the set screw but only enough to move the collars and adjust with spanner wrench. I'm glad the entire coilover doesnt have to be removed.

equin[QUOTED] and 831Tun like this.
  12. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:30 PM
    Tundra_361

Tundra_361 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 4x4
    I’m kinda in this dilemma. I have icon coilovers and want to lower them. The 4x4 shop said they recommend to pull them out and adjust that way. Something about the preload collar is aluminum and it bends the holes and looks ugly. So I’m just gonna have them pull’em out and lower them. $250 to do that.

13. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    monaco730

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
  14. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:38 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Fox has their own special wrench for adjusting. Mine was $40 for ADS coil overs. I've never adjusted mine, they were set perfectly when I got 'em from MCM.

monaco730[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:43 PM
    Tundra_361

Tundra_361 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 4x4
    Yes I’m familiar with how to, thanks. One issue is when they installed them, they didn’t leave the screw to loosen to adjust the preload up or down. Thinking they trapped me lol. Figured I didn’t have to specify that to them. They would have if I would have said something. So I kinda have no choice but to pull them.

16. Feb 14, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    monaco730

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Seriously? I would think the collars would move up or down over time without that since nothing is holding them in place besides the threads on the coil over body. I would think you'd need to have the shop pay for those or get some on your own. I can't believe a shop wouldn't think they served a purpose, and a pretty important one at that

17. Feb 14, 2019 at 5:54 AM
    Tundra_361

Tundra_361 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 4x4
    Whoops lol. I meant that they didn’t leave that screw facing out, so that it’s easily accessible. I was having a few when typing this last night. :crazy: Sorry for the confusion

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  18. Feb 14, 2019 at 6:10 AM
    monaco730

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    ah, makes sense now. That's annoying. Gotta be some way to get back there with an allen wrench without taking them off.

Products Discussed in

To Top