1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Food your parents fed you

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Darkness, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Feb 5, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    Darkness

Darkness [OP] Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Maybe I'm stepping towards mid-life crisis here, but lately I have been thinking about my childhood often. One thing I keep thinking about is the things my parents fed me, especially breakfast.

In my house, breakfast was something quick and easy slapped together. It never occurred to me until recently that I was usually the only one eating a particular thing. My dad worked graveyard and I don't remember seeing my mom eat breakfast often, not on weekdays. Now this brought up a different angle, WOULD they have eaten what they were feeding me?

I decided to occasionally eat something that I would have had for breakfast as a child, just out of curiosity.

I picked up one of those boxes of Swiss miss instant hot cocoa. That was the drink of choice on cold mornings before school, often served with plain toast to dip. I opened the foil-paper pouch and dumped the contents into the mug, holy crap thats a lot of powder and probably mostly sugar. Has to be over 5 tablespoons going into 8oz of water. That alone scares me off, I drank it, tasted artificial, I'll finish the box and not buy again. What the hell mom?

Yesterday I made toast and smeared on some cream cheese and jelly, this was a favorite. I ate it, not bad, I would eat that again but probably only if I was out of peanut butter.

This morning I went way back. What went hand in hand with instant cocoa was a hostes honeybun microwaved for 30 seconds. I had that without the hot cocoa, while tasty it was not filling at all and has no nutritional content. Thanks again mom

My quest will continue. Did your parents give you questionable stuff to eat when you were young? If so, what was it and would you eat it now?

2. Feb 5, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    Dad worked construction and had to be on his way early in the morning Monday through Friday. Mom always got up early and prepared his breakfast and packed his lunch pail.
    By the time us kids got up dad was gone but there always seemed to be a pot of hot cereal on the back burner of the range. Typically old school oatmeal with a few raisins sprinkled in just to make it interesting ~ sometimes it was Cream-O-Wheat.
    None of this was at all questionable ~ I still enjoy a bowl of oatmeal with raisins to this day.
    A big treat for me was the rump roast with cooked vegetables. That was dinner for us maybe once a week and the left overs were made into sandwiches the next day.
    I still remember those sandwiches as being The BEST !

MJoeP, ElNopal and Darkness[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 5, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Once in a while it was Liver and sweet onions....hell no! Never again!

4. Feb 5, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    Summer trip to DC in '72. Dad didn't have patience with us and dining out but it was a great experience for us. I was youngest at 8 oldest was 18 and there were 5 of us. On the way back somewhere in VA we all started hollering "Hungry"! Dad had enough of dining out so he stopped at a country store came out a few minutes later with hotdogs, cans of chilli, fixings, chips and drinks and Tin Foil. He wrapped up the hotdogs and buns in the tinfoil, cracked open the can of chilli and beans and popped the hood of his '72 Chevy Caprice with it's 454 and placed all the food on top of the block. We took off down the road again. My brother and I kept watching out the back window to see our lunch go flying down the road, didn't happen. As luck would have it we came up on a nice little road side rest stop next to a river so we pulled over. Dad got the lunch from the engine block and Mom set up the table. Opened the tinfoil ovens and steam comes boiling out.
    Dad use to heat up his lunch in his construction days like this. It was the most fun lunch we had.
    Would I do it again? Sure but I'm not sure our motors today will get as hot as that 454!

5. Feb 5, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    I was feeding the dogs after posting this and the smell of canned lamb reminded me that I ate liver wurst really often. I don't know if I will try that one now hahaha. It was the Farmer John's one wrapped in a weird plastic tube, I used to have it on toast or spread on crackers.

I never liked liver and onions either, that was dinner every other week. We had it on Fridays like the poor man's steak and onions.

Uhhhh...., 1lowlife and YardBird like this.
  6. Feb 5, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    Geezer

Geezer New Member

Member:
    Heart of the Catskills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    Captain Crunch was the breakfast favorite for me and my brothers. Lunch was usually a sandwich. Dinner was usually meat and potatoes and some overcooked vegetables. We survived.

7. Feb 5, 2021 at 10:57 AM
    SimpleMan

SimpleMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD OR 4x4
    Diamondback HD
    I ate more processed food back in the 70's than I care to remember. I was a "latch key kid" and fed myself for breakfast and lunch, everything was either out of a can or a box. By the age of 5 I knew how to warm up things on the gas stove, I think we got our first microwave when I was 11. I also rode my bike on the shoulder of the highway without a helmet to get to my friend's house; spent many, many, hours in the back of my dad's pickup with my dog riding back there on 2 hour trips to the lake (over half of it on the freeway); never wore a seatbelt until the mid 80's; drank out of the hose; played tackle football in the front yard with my friends without any sort of helmet or pads; and was very familiar with the discipline of a belt. After Saturday morning cartoons I was gone until dinner time and my parents had no way to track where I was, I knew my butt better be home for dinner or else. I wouldn't trade my childhood for what kids have today for anything, those were the days...

8. Feb 5, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    Black@Blue19

Black@Blue19 Old Salt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 TSS Onroad, 24 Camaro 2SS 6.2 L
    To much to list:)
    Powdered milk at the babysitters early in the morning with her seven kids and have to pour the milk in the little boxes so she wouldn’t have to do dishes!:) Then walk to school no matter how bad it was outside!!! We ate Mush, Beef tongue,, roasts with everything shoved in there with it. Liver and onions, chicken livers, and gizzards!! For the last forty years I use chicken livers for catfish bait!! HA!!:)

9. Feb 5, 2021 at 11:58 AM
    MEWaters

MEWaters New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    07 2UZFE TRD OR; previous 02 AC 323k
    Eibach pro suspension Nitro 4.88 with Auburn Pro LSD and PTFE diff bushings Level 8 MK6 18x9 SAIS bypass JBA cat back Scangauge 2 Diode dynamic fogs. LED heads Husky liners
    we ate no breakfast and rarely had lunch. It was all on your own
    always ate supper as a family
    cupboards were full of HFCS, glyphosate ridden foods to graze all day

at 30 with 2 young boys and another on the way, that stuff does not enter my house.
    We feed them 3+ balanced meals per day.
    We also don't blend in with the crowd on another hot topic. We won't go there :anonymous:

saybng, Darkness[OP] and RainMan_PNW like this.
  10. Feb 5, 2021 at 11:59 AM
    saybng

saybng Just a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1794 CM in BLACK!
    Method Nv's, falken wildpeak 275.65.20 Dirty deeds exhaust, 5100's all around...nothin fancy.
    My mom always fed us :spam:and eggs with steam rice, and sometimes fried hot dogs.. for breakfast.

ATV25, Saltyhero13, Ely010606 and 6 others like this.
  11. Feb 5, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    T500

T500 # The Dark Side

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfie
    Neptune, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black
  12. Feb 5, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    My wife loves spam and eggs. Her nieces love the little fried fish with rice for breakfast, I forget what its called, diles?

Was it "pure food" hot dogs? My wife is asking.

13. Feb 5, 2021 at 12:48 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    @SimpleMan sounds a lot like my childhood but mine was a decade later. Walked to and from school alone and had a house key when I was 6. I was cooking top Ramen, eggs, and boiled hotdogs by 7. Most weekday mom worked a second job so dinner was whatever we had. Jumping bmx bikes with no helmet, throwing myself down stairs on a skateboard, and tackle football was often played on a dirt field. Video games were only for rainy days or late night when I was supposed to be asleep, some were hard to enjoy with the sound off. I agree, way better than what kids do these days.

This is all about food though. :hattip:

14. Feb 5, 2021 at 12:50 PM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    My mom had nothing but grape nuts, malt o’meal, and kefir in the fridge. Liver and onions, beef stews, chicken.
    As I got older I gorged on junk food because it was never available growing up. Now I eat like my mom used to....
    Only 10 times better or strict depending on how you look at it.

Sunnier, jewsNbrews, speedtre and 4 others like this.
  15. Feb 5, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I think my parents (ok, mostly my mom) did a good job. Mostly cereal for breakfasts and not the stuff that was just sugar, either. Pudding (in lieu of milk) and fruit of some sort (fresh if we could get it, canned otherwise) in our lunches every day. Fresh veggies for lunch and dinner every day. If we had bread, it was whole wheat or, when we were older, multigrain. Dessert was rare, eating out (whether sit down or fast food) even more so.

It wasn't particularly unhealthy but one quick, easy lunch my mom fed us that I hated was "corn toast". Cheese and cream corn on top of toast. Yuck!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Outbound, RainMan_PNW, T500 and 2 others like this.
  16. Feb 5, 2021 at 2:47 PM
    PKFan

PKFan my pronouns are (she/it) - c'mon, say it fast

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno! DC SR5 4x4
    Tyger Blade running boards, Valhalla's Shield cat plates
    [​IMG]

No, I wouldn't eat it now.

17. Feb 5, 2021 at 2:56 PM
    Kayaking Tundra

Kayaking Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
    I remember, long ago. buttered noodles with cut up hotdogs. lots of veggies from the garden, but all the free soda we could drink. always had literally dozens and dozens of cases of soda.

nothing like a fresh vine ripened tomato with salt on it.....mmmm

ATV25, T500 and WILLINH like this.
  18. Feb 5, 2021 at 3:08 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Why would it need salt?

(My parents have grown tomatoes my entire life. The store-bought ones taste like wood.)

RainMan_PNW, T500 and WILLINH like this.
  19. Feb 5, 2021 at 3:09 PM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    fluffernutter for the win!

20. Feb 5, 2021 at 3:21 PM
    Kayaking Tundra

Kayaking Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
    ...salt on veggies and fruit is yummy. Try a water melon with a little sea salt on it. It changed my life.

ATV25, ElNopal, 1lowlife and 2 others like this.
  21. Feb 5, 2021 at 3:32 PM
    TheBlackPearl

TheBlackPearl Newish member

Member:
    La Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TSS Crewmax 4x4
    My Parents were the "martinis at 5" everyday right before dinner. They would always give me the olives out of said dry gin martinis.
    To this day I could eat a whole jar with ease (but I don't), easily one of my favorite things...along with dry gin martinis. :stirthepot:

[​IMG]

22. Feb 5, 2021 at 3:32 PM
    saybng

saybng Just a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1794 CM in BLACK!
    Method Nv's, falken wildpeak 275.65.20 Dirty deeds exhaust, 5100's all around...nothin fancy.
    I can't remember the hot dogs..

Darkness[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  23. Feb 5, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Salt is one of the worst things you can eat. I avoid it was much as possible.

T500 and YardBird like this.
  24. Feb 5, 2021 at 4:10 PM
    rhaliuk

rhaliuk New Member

Member:
    I grew up in a small Ukrainian village, and I did not eat out of a can until I was 18-19 and living in the capitol.
    As a child, I ate all kind of "organic" food, so my parents did a great job there.
    My grandma though....
    She encouraged me to eat eggs raw with a little bit of salt, and thinking about it makes me wanna gag! My grandma was raised when food was at scarce, so she would find a way to make a use of anything and everything... Sometimes she cooked meat that was already bad and smelled like crap. Then we all felt sick... Everyone but grandma! We kept saying that she has cow's stomach. My grandma also introduced me to a "special snack" - a piece of bread with a quarter inch of raw crystal sugar on top, and a little bit of milk/water poured over it. I don't know how I did not get diabetes! I have to mention my least favorite thing though - chicken broth - imagine walking into the kitchen and seeing a pot with a chicken boiling inside and legs sticking out (nails uncut...). FML!
    I could argue that my parents did not have a good point when they kept screaming at me to eat a lot. I think I ate enough and it was not worth all the stress they caused me. I am 26 now and still a skinny mtfkr! Still alive, mom!

25. Feb 5, 2021 at 4:26 PM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    I think my family was weird... the only time we ate a meal together was Thanksgiving and Christmas. I learned at a young age to make my own sandwiches and use the microwave when I got tall enough to reach it.

Mom had to work early, and Dad wasn't into breakfast, so it was usually cold cereal or instant oatmeal. As I got older I just skipped breakfast. Lunch was at school, and when I got home I'd usually make a couple sandwiches or beef ravioli out of a can.

When Mom or Dad would make something it was typically something with Rice a Roni, stew, chili, or hamburger helper. It was left out for a short while the. refrigerated - get it when you want it.

That was all when I was pre-teen. The folks bought a little bowling alley when I was 13. It had a grill and deep fryer, so dinner became cheeseburgers and tater tots/ Suzy Q's. Sometimes a frozen chicken patty deep fried and put on the hamburger buns just to change it up. Occasionally I would talk Dad into buying a bag of the big battered and frozen butterflied shrimp to dip in the fryer.

Damn I miss that flat top grill, it had 30 or 40 years of "seasoning" in it before we got it. Burgers taste different from grill to grill, and that one turned out some pretty good boogs.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  26. Feb 5, 2021 at 4:33 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    @Darkness, didn’t you start another thread a few months back about shitting yourself now days? This thread may help explain that. :rofl:

My mom made us breakfast a lot for dinner. We had a lot of “hot dishes” growing up in MN. I ate a ton of Kraft macaroni and cheese and would eat fruit roll ups by the box. Man, that pissed off my siblings when they were looking for them.

BlackSheep, ElNopal, 1lowlife and 4 others like this.
  27. Feb 5, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    During the week days for breakfast I always had cereal, Pop-Tarts, muffins, pretty much whatever. On the weekends for breakfast I would have pancakes, bacon, fried potatoes. For lunch all the way through school and to this day during in the week I did and still do eat peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread. For dinner my dad always made meat and corn green beans or potatoes of some sort. Except one day a week we would always get pizza and he would get a sub. I was never in a house unless it was raining. On the weekends I would give hunting with my dad and those are some of the best memories. Road in a car most people didn't wear their seatbelts no one locked their doors boy how times have changed.

28. Feb 5, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Bagged off-brand cereal (like fruity pebbles, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, the really sugary stuff), pre-formed frozen hamburger patties, Pepsi, and McDonalds. That’s what I remember of my parents feeding me. I can’t believe I’m still alive.

Too much is bad for sure. I don’t think it’s as big a problem as sugar. I read we (well, Americans...I’m sure it’s similar for y’all) eat 150% of the sodium we need and 7x the sugar. It’s in everything. No wonder so many Americans are prediabetic and don’t even know it.

29. Feb 5, 2021 at 5:25 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Yeah, they're both bad. But I don't ever hear anyone talking about how they have to sprinkle sugar on all their food before they can eat it.

YardBird likes this.
  30. Feb 5, 2021 at 5:29 PM
    JerryH

JerryH Gravy Boatin, I don’t park I dock.

Member:
    SOMD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax Limited Cement
    Hot dog and bean casserole, tuna noodle casserole, breakfast dinners and pigs in a blanket were for dinners. Breakfast and lunch you were on your own.

Darkness[OP] and YardBird like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top