1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flushing cooling system

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Jhinesvl, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Oct 21, 2021 at 5:36 PM
    Jhinesvl

Jhinesvl [OP] New Member

Member:
    Clarksville tn
    I just got my truck going with a new motor. The original was blown and the cooling system was full of sludge. Im guessing they mixed wrong types with worst case scenario, a golf ball size fell out of the thermostat neck. I replaced the radiator because it was cracked but all the other especially the heater core im sure needs cleaned. Its filled with water right now but i picked up Blue Devel radiator flush, should i use it? Has anyone used it or is there a better way? I planned on running water through 3 or 4 times at the least. I just dont want to create more issues and to have it as clean as possible before adding antifreeze.

2. Oct 21, 2021 at 10:06 PM
    Sumo91

Sumo91 Busy with projects

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Tundra Platinum 4x4
    Bilstein 8112/8100 3.25in lift Dobinson leaf springs 2.1in lift Level8 MK6 wheels Big ole dent in bedside
    If you replaced the engine and radiator, the only existing gunk would be in the heater core and hoses. I would unhook the heater core and flush it thoroughly, flush it from one hose, then back flush through the other. I don't have any experience with radiator flush, but if other members says it's acceptable then go for it, first using low pressure air blow all the water out of the heater core, fill with radiator cleaner and let sit, then flush and back flush it for awhile. A water hose would work great. Just don't use too much pressure. Once clean, flush with a few gallons of distilled water to remove any tap water that can cause mineral build up.

3. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:02 AM
    Jhinesvl

Jhinesvl [OP] New Member

Member:
    Clarksville tn
    Thank you for your reply. That was my ghoughts but inadmit i got it running and went so im back to flushing everything now. Yes on the distilled water, i figured running tap through a couple times then switch to distilled

4. Oct 22, 2021 at 3:26 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    This might help visualize what all you have to clean out.

D9B2DD65-CB03-4473-A795-5C59B40AC772.jpg

5. Oct 22, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    Jhinesvl

Jhinesvl [OP] New Member

Member:
    Clarksville tn
    interesting, i do plan on getting in there to open up those valves on the cylenders to help drain it

Products Discussed in

To Top