1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flag holder

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by TBinky, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Aug 9, 2022 at 6:41 AM
    TBinky

TBinky [OP] Wassup weirdos

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 black tundra
    Hey yall I was kicking around the idea of making these and selling them.
    But Im kinda curious on if people even want them so let me know I'll have more pictures later

IMG_20220809_063853.jpg

des2mtn, HBTundra and WFD473 like this.
  2. Aug 9, 2022 at 12:11 PM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    We have one of their collapsible flag poles on our motorhome; good product.

Sierradevil likes this.
  3. Aug 9, 2022 at 1:00 PM
    Bergy24

Bergy24 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4
    Please post more pictures showing how they are made and angled. Any plans to make a product that mounts to the bed rail?

4. Aug 10, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    Teutonics

Teutonics New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC SR5 4WD
    Or to play devil's advocate, design and build a better/unique/custom product that can be sold at a premium. It really depends on how you want to approach it. If you're building them "one off" as needed with minimal start up cost/investment, I say go for it and see where you end up! Product exposure will be your challenge, so don't just start here with a limited audience, you'll have to do a lot of footwork to get the word out. Best of luck!

5. Aug 10, 2022 at 10:36 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    There's an ugly side to scAmazon, one @TBinky should consider before retailing there.

If the analytics folks over there see your design is selling nicely, or it fills a void in the market, or they think they can produce it cheaper for a nice profit while pushing you out totally, they will. They know they're too big for small-time producers like @TBinky to do anything about it, it'd get tied up for years in litigation and bankrupt the small fish. It's the same reason so many members here've had so many issues with counterfeit name-brand auto parts - legally, scAmazon has the upper hand. It doesn't behoove them to check inventory shipments into their warehouses for fakes. It just costs them extra money for something they can deny having a part of, and they make a dollar as long as some product is going out the door. There's virtually no way they can be held legally liable.

Their dirty little secret is, they have a vast array of manufacturing relationships in China. If they don't directly steal your design and resell an uncannily similar product under their "Basics" brand, then they'll work with warehouses overseas to ensure a blatant knock-off is sold for a fraction of the cost under any number of fly-by-night storefronts. The products will usually have gibberish names in all-caps like ABOZO, MATOB, ZAPOW, ONKILO. Wouldn't suck so much, but they twist the blade in your back by promoting whichever one they're in cahoots with as their "A's Choice" spotlight pick, but there's always one or two others bubbled to the top as a 'sponsored' pick so your product never sells a damn thing again because it's the 4th, 5th, or 10th item.

Like this product below, I forget the original vendor's name, they've folded at this point. I bought one from the original domestic manufacturer when it was the only one that looked like this on scAmazon. Went back to get one for a friend 7 months later, it took me 10 minutes of hunting for it b/c scAmazon was promoting this "MATOW" brand unit at a $25 price point, half the originator's cost, then slowly raised it up within 10% of the originator's price. They shuffle the product ID around so you can't track the price easily using services like CamelCamelCamel.

Today, there's a dozen other manufacturers selling the same product. For shits and giggles, I bought three knowing I'd return them anyway, all came in the same box. Same colored bubble wrap around it. Same engrish instructions. Same machining defects. Different silkscreened name, if any.

Every dollar you spend on products like this ultimate kills small businesses like our friend @TBinky here is thinking of spinning up. Hell, every dollar you spend on scAmazon as a whole versus a brick-and-mortar store is shooting us all in the foot. I'm just as guilty as the next buy, but have scaled back pretty hard.

Don't get me wrong, they'll get you either way. If someone finds your product is popular, they'll buy a few and ship them overseas for reverse engineering and cheaper "tweak production" as I call it, making tiny changes here & there to drastically drop costs. But really, your best bet is staying small, sell on forums like this, as a vendor.

upload_2022-8-10_13-15-29.jpg

Sierradevil likes this.
  6. Aug 10, 2022 at 10:46 AM
    EmergencyMaximum

EmergencyMaximum New Member

Member:
    Tanks fuel economy. Bad idea. Flags are for monuments or houses, not motor vehicles.

shifty` likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top