1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixing scratches, cracks, and dents

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by McYoda, May 31, 2020.

1. May 31, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    McYoda

McYoda [OP] H4x0r

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 “Grade”
    So this is my first Tundra, and it’s a 2010 “grade” model. It started life as a work truck, then was used as a work truck again, and now it’s my daily driver.

Any tips on taking care of scratches in the paint? There are quite a few. Some are deep individual cuts, and in other places there are sprays of rock scratches like this.

041FA613-6107-4A41-92E3-7ABA2F99ABEF.jpg

ToyoMafia likes this.
  2. May 31, 2020 at 9:39 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    @War Machine Hopefully Jason will chime in.;)

ToyoMafia likes this.
  3. Jun 1, 2020 at 4:57 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    You’ll have to invest in a DA polisher to fix it yourself. The Griots G9 is going to be the best bang for your buck. Very nice machine, and will run around $150.00. I like their Boss line of correcting creams, and their pads also. Uro-Fiber and Lake Country also have great pads, and there are some one-step polishing products that work well also.
    Ultimately it’s a choice of whether you want to buy the stuff and do it yourself, and have the capability to do it again in the future or if you’d rather pay a detailer to do it. Probably about $300.00 all in to get the equipment, or you could spend I’d guess 300-500 to have it done by a pro. Just a matter of which has more value to you personally.

@briarpatch and @Ckatz53 are really more experienced than I am in this area and may offer better advice. @Pudge has also done great work using Carpro’s line of products.

McYoda[OP], Pudge and ToyoMafia like this.
  4. Jun 1, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    Great advice from War Machine as it pertains to the Griots Garage line of products, as well as the Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber and Lake County pads. I downloaded the pic, and blew it up a little. Some of what you have there looks like it could be corrected and/or improved, but those clusters of rock chips will likely need a repaint. In that case, you're faced with repainting the entire panel anyway. My advice would be to take it to a local detailer and ask their opinion. I suspect they will only offer something along the lines of 'improvement'.....unless they have a very gifted touch up person. I have seen some pretty amazing saves with scratches and touch up paint.....so it's worth having a local pro take a look at it.

McYoda[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 1, 2020 at 7:49 PM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tundra CM Limited 4x4
    www.fouroneodetailing.com
    Sorry just now seeing this. I second what @briarpatch said. Potmarking like that is impossible to correct conventionally because of how those marks were created (rocks just blasting your panels). They appear to be down to the panel through the paint. Someone could potentially use touch up/clear, wet sand, compound, then polish it....but they'd have to be super experienced to get it right enough to pass and it would likely cost you an arm and potentially a leg.

@War Machine 's advice on Griots and anything Lake Country is spot on. If you're just looking for a "quick" fix and dont want to spend all that much and dont mind using your hands, Meguiar's Scratch X is actually super user friendly for removing light scratches and helping out the worse off ones. It has lubricating oils in it that allow it to work by hand, so I suggest a good IPA wipe off after a few passes to see what all you've done since a byproduct of those oils is it does have a "filler" effect. Some microfiber pads from any auto parts store and Scratch X 2.0 is a quick fix to improve it.

Of course if you want a better end result, you'll have to drop the money on a DA and pads.

McYoda[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 13, 2021 at 1:04 PM
    McYoda

McYoda [OP] H4x0r

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 “Grade”
    Quarantine has given me some time to make a list of what I want to fix. The smoke from the local fires has kept me inside away from fixing it. This truck had some character before I ever got possession of it, and I think it was the deer hit right before the sale that cracked the grill and possibly that piece below the bumper.

Easy to replace? Recommend OEM versus any subs?

upload_2021-8-13_13-2-23.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top