1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixed passenger side mystery rattle / buzzing behind glove box

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by MistrRoboto, May 20, 2019.

1. May 20, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    MistrRoboto

MistrRoboto [OP] '17 MGM SR5 TRD CrewMax

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey fellas,

I've been lingering for months reading rattle threads trying to track one down. I finally just took apart as much as I could in the general area, and found a culprit I hadn't seen posted yet. Behind the top of the glovebox, there is a single 10mm bolt/washer holding the dashboard plastics to the frame of the truck. That bolt was so loose it took three turns to be out and into my hand. The washer on it made the rattle even worse... which sometimes also presented as a buzzing noise during certain RPMs.

You need to remove the passenger foot airbag assembly, as well as the glovebox. Only takes about 10-15 minutes.

[​IMG]

CH1NO, BamaMan44, JLS in WA and 17 others like this.
  2. May 22, 2019 at 2:52 AM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    Nice investigation work. Good to know

3. May 24, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    Twise

Twise More punk than you...

Member:
    First Name:
    Trever
    Temecula, California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Cmax TRD Off-road
    Fox 2.5 /w DSC CO’s and Rear Shocks, Total Chaos UCA’s, 17” Rock Warriors /w 35 12.5 17 BFG AT KO2’s, Powerstop Rotors and Pads Front And Rear and The stereo is really nice.
    Tearing into that tomorrow. Frigging rattle has been driving me out of my mind. Thanks.

Finch likes this.
  4. May 24, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Good job. So simple but so annoying I bet. Glad you figured it out

5. May 25, 2019 at 10:50 AM
    ifishinxs

ifishinxs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Cedar city, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra limited
    None! I tow a boat weekly
    Little silicone on the treads when screwed back in will keep it in place or lock tight.

6. May 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    Finch

Finch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno CM 5.7L TRD Off-Road
    Is it a pain removing all the necessary things to tighten this? Never done so but i have the dreaded rattle.

7. May 26, 2019 at 12:47 PM
    NorCalTrdsport

NorCalTrdsport New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 MG TrdSport
    Man this must be what that damn sound is lol. I had the mrs drive while I was trying to find that damn thing. Thanks

8. May 29, 2019 at 8:59 AM
    MistrRoboto

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Naa not bad. You just have to start down in the floorboard trim and work up. Maybe 10 minutes or less and minimal tools. Once you start it goes quickly. I'll dig up a post I had found with some instructions and post it.

9. May 29, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    MistrRoboto

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Even having searched the forums countless times, I just came across this post from @m0wens with the same issue. https://www.tundras.com/threads/glove-box-removal.37356/#post-1027646

Anyway - he also gave some decent instructions on getting to the culprit... (I didn't write these but it feels familiar to what I did). Thanks @m0wens.
    1.) Remove the floor pillars by the passenger door.
    2.) Remove plastic cover piece on the side of the dash. Should pop right off.
    3.) Remove kick plate from under the glove box. It should just have plastic push pins and a couple of screws.
    4.) Remove another trim piece which I believe had two or three bolts holding it in place.
    5.) Carefully disconnect the airbag. You will see it connected with the yellow wires.
    6.) Remove screws from underneath glovebox, I believe there are three.
    7.) Remove 3 screws from the top of the glovebox.
    8.) Pull and remove glovebox. You should then see the lone screw that's attached to the dash that's in my pic above.

m0wens, georgiey22 and Finch like this.
  10. May 29, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    Finch

Finch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno CM 5.7L TRD Off-Road
    Thanks man! I'll give this a shot soon and let you know what I find.

11. May 29, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    rt_tundra_co

rt_tundra_co I'll get tired of tweaking this truck...never

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 SR5 CM TRD
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust Leer Topper, color matched to truck Thule Aeroblade roof rack on topper FABTECH 4” Suspension Lift Decked Storage, 2 drawer SPYDER LED headlights and taillights kits Hertz HDP5 5 Channel Class D Amplifier 2 x 10” subwoofer boxed behind rear seat Door speaker upgrades by Elite Auto Sound Colorado Springs Lock’er Down EXxtreme Console Safe LD2043EX Lock’er Down rear seat 3 x safes Lock’er Down gun magnet 80 LED in-grill light bar Baja Designs LED ditch lights TRD Pro grill Rotiform SIX-OR 20x9 wheels 35x12.5R20 Toyota Open Country R/T tires TheSource sPOD power control hub with in-cab installed accessory switches Firestone Ride Rite air suspension system with Air Command remote, on board compressor and rear bumper air port SDHQ rock sliders
    Probably a top 10 male human feeling of euphoria. Note I said "top 10"!

12. May 29, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    georgiey22

georgiey22 Moving to Idaho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra | TRD Sport | Cavalry Blue | Crew Max
    This is awesome. When I make a right turn and my suspension flexes a bit, I get a lil squeak, wondering if this is my pain point. Can you describe in more detail when you were hearing the noise?

13. May 29, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    georgiey22

georgiey22 Moving to Idaho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra | TRD Sport | Cavalry Blue | Crew Max
    I was wondering if this was my problem so I started to think through your detailed instructions. I removed the two covers for the cabin air filter and voila, I can see this bolt from there without taking anything off the truck as instructed. The bolt you indicated on my truck is tight so this isn’t my problem but thought I’d share with all.

14. May 30, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    MistrRoboto

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hate to break it to you... that's not the bolt. I know what one you are talking about, and just took the following pic for you to confirm. Unfortunately, the enemy bolt is higher up and completely tucked away.

But - it also wasn't a flex squeek. It was a pure rattle if not almost buzzing it was rattling so fast, and happened going over small bumps or vibrations on the road.

Red is what I think you found, green is where my criminal bolt was.
    [​IMG]

Drk_Jdi and NewImprovedRon like this.
  15. Apr 17, 2020 at 3:36 AM
    co2owen

co2owen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Limited CM TRD Off-Road
    Trans Cooler. 5100's up front at mid-setting. ESP Plastic Storage.
    I'm so glad I found this. My 2020 has the same buzzing sound and it has been driving me crazy. Mine is a pure buzzing sound between 1500-2000 rpm. Under 1500, no sound, over 2000, no sound. I've even had my wife drive while I look for the sound and have not been able to place it other than it seems to be in the glove box or in the dash! Sounds like it's a simple fix!

16. Apr 17, 2020 at 4:13 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Good find on your gen. My 13 has a metallic squeak on the passenger side that drives me nuts. It may be worth a shot to poke around the area.

17. Apr 17, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    co2owen

co2owen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA
    Vehicle:
    I took the glove box out today and that bolt was TIGHT! It's even tighter now. I checked every other bolt and screw I could see in there and all were tight too. I'll keep looking for my buzz or I'll just find it in a Beer! Happy Friday! For anyone else looking to get to the bolt, it's easy to get to. It took me about 20 minutes to get to it and about 10 minutes to button everything back up.

18. Apr 17, 2020 at 2:15 PM
    DXO

DXO New Member

Member:
    South Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax Limited
    I've had this same rattle too, just had the glovebox out and did find that screw was loose. Haven't driven it yet, but I also added small bumpers to the glovebox door to line up with the ones already there. The latch mechanism inside the glovebox door seems to be making some noise if I tap the door too, I didn't see an easy way to take the door apart so I left it for now. The rattle must have been bugging the PO also, found some electrical tape lining a couple of joints on the trim in the area and noticed a handwritten date of 2016 on the back of the glovebox (truck is a '14), maybe he went so far as to replace it. I lined the bottom of the box with non skid pad to just in case it's something in there causing it, I have a feeling I'm going to be chasing it in my "free" time.

19. Apr 17, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    co2owen

co2owen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA
    Vehicle:
    I noticed the mechanism inside the glovebox door seemed to be loose today too. It rattles when you tap it, close it, and it rattled when it was out of the truck today and in my hands. No easy way to access it that I'm aware of. Maybe that's the culprit in my case. Interesting that your previous owner seems to have had the glovebox replaced. Since this is my only problem, I'm happy and thankful.

Rob's Inferno likes this.
  20. Apr 17, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    buzzing behind glove box

Gah! Tickle bees!

Flee!!

21. Apr 17, 2020 at 8:47 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    There is a tsb for a tic/rattle noise on the passenger side. The noise is actually from the windshield retainer and the noise transfer down to the dash.

Drk_Jdi likes this.
  22. Apr 18, 2020 at 4:30 PM
    chrisbusnut

chrisbusnut New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crew Max SR5 4x4 w/TRD Off Road pkg
    DiamondBack bed cover, SDHQ sliders, SwitchPro, Katzkin leather seats, TRD Pro grille, TRD Pro wheels w/Nitto Ridge Grappers, Toyota OEM leather steering wheel, SSO Slimline Hybrid Bumper w/Baja Designs S8 light bar, Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S winch, Baja Design rock lights & flush mount rear bumper lights
    I've got an annoying rattle in the driver's side of the dash that sounds like a tick. It sounds like it's inside the dash on the left side of the instrument cluster, possibly below, and it only happens on semi-rough roads. No idea what it is or how to fix it. I'm only at 4,600 miles, so if I can stand it, and unless I can figure out the source, I guess I'll wait until the 1st oil change at 10K.

23. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Check my previous posts on the tsb. It applies to both the passenger and drivers side. Mine had let than 100 miles on it and had the rattle/tic.

24. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    chrisbusnut

chrisbusnut New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crew Max SR5 4x4 w/TRD Off Road pkg
    DiamondBack bed cover, SDHQ sliders, SwitchPro, Katzkin leather seats, TRD Pro grille, TRD Pro wheels w/Nitto Ridge Grappers, Toyota OEM leather steering wheel, SSO Slimline Hybrid Bumper w/Baja Designs S8 light bar, Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S winch, Baja Design rock lights & flush mount rear bumper lights
    Okay, thanks.

25. Apr 20, 2020 at 8:19 AM
    DXO

DXO New Member

Member:
    South Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax Limited
    One thing I did find after driving it is that the little shelf that snaps in the glovebox was buzzing, sounded like a botle of aspirin rattling. I folded up a piece of paper and jammed it under the left edge of the shelf and all is quiet now.

26. Apr 21, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    Rob's Inferno

Rob's Inferno New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 crewmax 4x4 Inferno
    it amazes me how bad so many of the interior pieces fit.So many loose fitting plastic rattles.and squeaks and creeks too.Step it up Toyota!!!

27. Apr 21, 2020 at 4:45 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Other than the rattle that I fixed by doing the TSB my truck is as quiet as a mouse.

Drk_Jdi likes this.
  28. Jan 29, 2022 at 6:14 PM
    aricher

aricher New Member

Member:
    glove box1.jpg

I have spent ALOT of time and looked an MANY threads on this and other sites to find out what was causing the rattle behind my glove box. In my case, there was a small bolt missing on a metal braket that seems to support some kind of electronic device. The red circle in the picture indicates where to find this metal braket. Hope this helps out someone.

Cheers.

georgiey22 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top