1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fitting a slide-in stove

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Netmonkey, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jun 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey [OP] Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    hey guys,

my wife and i are looking into getting a new stove, but we have concerns with the width of a new stove to the width of the current opening on the countertops. we have granite countertops and the opening is about 29.80" and our current stove is exactly 29.75" at the top (the top of the stove is about 3/16" narrower than the body of the stove). the current stove barely squeezes into the opening.

looking at new stoves, all the 30" stoves are about 29.8-29.9" wide (the one we are looking at requires 29.9"). the stove would clear at the cabinets (they are 30" wide), but not at the countertop. is there a process to trim the countertops (in place) to give an extra 1/4" of room? would you just use an angle grinder? is this an easy DIY or am i better off hiring someone? if i do hire someone, what is a reasonable cost? the current edge of the countertop (against the stove) is finished. do i need to be concerned about that? does it need to be refinished?

thanks for your help

here are some pics so you can see how close the current clearance is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jun 24, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Blue tape and a diamond blade on a Skil saw or angle grinder. But be careful you don’t overheat it and cause it to pop. If that makes sense. Add water while you’re doing it it will make a mess though. I don’t think professional would charge too much either. Might be the safer route. Are these measurements of the new stove taken by you or are they off of the spec sheet? Because maybe when you get the stove you could be surprised that it will slide right in.

3. Jun 24, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    thanks.

the measurement of the new stove is out of the manual. i should go into the store and measure it to be certain, however.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 24, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    You can diy with an angle grinder with a porcelain/tile blade and shave off an 1/8” off each side making long and light passes each time. Tape off the top edge of your top back that 1/8” that you desire as a template guide. Suck the dust with a shop vac. Use a palm sander with increasing grit to give the finished edge good looks.

Hint: Wait until your stove arrives as you may not need to do anything. It may fit. Thats what she said.

15whtrd likes this.
  5. Jun 24, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Sounds like an echo chamber in here! Good advice. 95% of the time the stove will fit in that opening.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jun 24, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Definitely. Don’t have it cut until you have it.

I have a very tight spot my refrigerator goes in. Specs online showed it was to tight by a 1/4”. I went down to best buy and measured. It fit perfectly the same as my old fridge.

7. Jun 24, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    we haven't ordered it yet. we wanted to make sure that it would fit before we are standing there trying to force it into the opening :)

i guess the first step is to go into a store and physically measure it :)

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  8. Jun 24, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Yep. Sometimes the manual and the real world are different.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  9. Jun 24, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    LOL ... my wife just recommend a little lube to get it to slide in place :)

she said that it has worked before :)

15whtrd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top