1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FIPG sealant failure - coolant leak at heat exchanger

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Double DC, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Dec 1, 2021 at 2:08 PM
    Double DC

Double DC [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    In March '21, I bought my 2021 Double Cab, mostly as I wanted the supposedly rock solid 5.7L V8. I was well aware of the cam tower sealant leak issue and was assured by the sales dude that it was no longer an issue. Not that I completely bought the explanation, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Prices were starting to climb and inventories were dropping. Anyway, a few days before I brought the truck in for the 5k checkup, I popped the hood and noted that the coolant level in the reservoir was low. Didn't cross my mind that there might be a bigger issue - just thought somebody screwed up at the factory. At the 5k checkup, they put the truck on the lift just to take a look underneath and sure enough there was a bigger issue. Visually, there was quite a bit of coolant splattered all the way down to the transfer case. As was later determined when the engine was dismantled, there was a coolant leak near the heat exchanger buried deep in the engine block due to a FIPG sealant failure. I'm guessing some of you will have schematics and can better describe the issue. Feel free to chime in. Regardless, this was a major manufacturing defect out of the factory - not what one expects when buying a Toyota. My 2005 Tundra has had no major issues in 280k miles. I wasn't expecting to deal with any issue of this magnitude with the '21 Tundra for a long, long time - if ever.

Since I bought my truck in March 2021, I'm guessing the engine was manufactured in February 2021 and possibly earlier. I also later heard the dealer that fixed my Tundra had another Tundra in the August timeframe that had a similar FIPG sealant issue. Based on these two data points, it would appear that Toyota had a manufacturing process issue between February through July at a minimum.

Yes, the issue was fixed under warranty but still leaves some level of doubt in the overall build quality. I am interested to hear of other similar experiences and also the technical assessment of the folks here.

Leo's first likes this.
  2. Dec 2, 2021 at 3:44 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    A couple of 21s have had this issue.

3. Dec 2, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    Double DC

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    Do you think this issue has the potential to be a slow reveal on x number of other 21's - similar to the cam tower leak? I suppose I'm glad my issue was identified early without any damage from overheating or other. But want to make sure other '21 owners are aware of this potential issue in case they suffer a sealant failure later on.

4. Dec 2, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    This seems to be an issue right off the lot on drive home or within first few hundred miles

5. Dec 3, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    Double DC

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    How are people identifying the leak on the drive home or within the first few hundred miles? For my issue, there would have been nothing to indicate I had a leak until probably 3k miles. At that point, the only indication would have been low coolant level in the reservoir. Particularly with a new Tundra, I don't pop the hood often enough to quickly catch a low level in the coolant reservoir. Perhaps others would. There was no coolant leaking on the ground. Just curious how this is being identified by others.

I hope you're right and this issue is caught within the warranty period for effected owners. But I won't be surprised if this drags out similar to the cam tower leak issue.

6. Dec 15, 2021 at 6:35 AM
    Double DC

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    Regarding the use of sealants in engines, such as RTV and FIPG, is this a Toyota thing or do other manufacturers use sealants in a similar manner? Or do other manufacturers use gaskets?

7. Dec 15, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    I wonder if the sealant failed or it leaked because of poor application to the surfaces involved?

One can be corrected the other cannot.

2mchfun likes this.
  8. Dec 15, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    Double DC

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    Yes, I would be curious on the root cause of the issue as well. The tech that worked on my Tundra thought the sealant failure was due to surface contamination when the sealant was applied in the factory. But that was just his guess. Guessing some Toyota engineers are trying to figure out root cause and potential number of engines impacted. Not that any such information will be released to us. I just hope all failures are fixed under warranty.

You're right though, I'm guessing/hoping the sealant didn't fail - as my thread title states. It's probably a seal failure that technically can be corrected. But from my data points, there's at least 6 months of production at risk.

9. Mar 26, 2023 at 2:33 PM
    Black2014Tundra

Black2014Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rogelio
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4X4
    Chromed the original OEM rims
    I'm having the same coolant leak on my 98000 miles, 1794 edition toyota tundra 2014. It seems like the heat exchanger sealant failure is a common problem for the 3rd generation tundras.

10. Mar 26, 2023 at 3:50 PM
    gizardlizard

gizardlizard New Member

Member:
    Madison,WI
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD pro Tundra
    6” lift, 35 inch tires, chrome delete, ridiculous stereo
    Please enlighten me on “heat exchanger.” Know what they are on the machines I work on but didn’t know vehicles had them.

RichterScale likes this.
  11. Mar 26, 2023 at 4:00 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    That's a 2.5 Gen, FYI.

12. Mar 27, 2023 at 4:27 PM
    RichterScale

RichterScale I identify as a potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCRB as base as it gets
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    I'd also like to know. I've never heard of a heat exchanger inside of an engine. The only thing I know off that would be considered a heat exchanger is the radiator.
    I believe there's also a heat exchanger that helps get the tranny fluid up to operating temp from a cold start with engine coolant. Is this related to that?

13. Mar 27, 2023 at 5:07 PM
    pursuit2550

pursuit2550 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 DC Attitude Black
    There is no heat exchanger buried deep in the engine that I have seen and I have looked at a complete teardown of a 5.7. There is an oil cooler by the filter housing. If there was coolant leak in the mysterious HX buried deep in the engine, that engine wouldn't be running. And how does a leak deep in the engine leak to the outside. I would be more worried about the mechanic working on my truck than the engine assembled by Toyota.

14. Mar 28, 2023 at 9:24 AM
    RichterScale

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    Would you be able to get a pic or 2 of the area where the leak is coming from and post it? This has me curious.

15. Mar 28, 2023 at 9:38 AM
    RichterScale

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    Found another thread. It's not "inside" the engine. It's the little heat exchanger on the side of the trans that transfers heat between the trans oil and engine coolant.
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/2021-coolant-leak.83002/#post-2100564
    This subject is new to me. Just wanted to clarify what we were talking about so I can keep an eye on mine.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  16. Mar 29, 2023 at 4:16 PM
    Double DC

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    My initial comments were based on a relatively brief discussion with the Toyota tech who did the warranty work. And on top of that I'm no engine tear down expert or even a rookie. What I do know is that a lot of parts had been removed from the engine to expose a component in the engine that allowed the antifreeze to (as I understood it) circulate and assist in regulating engine temperature. I don't know all the specifics of the leak but the FIPG seal in whatever it might be called other than heat exchanger failed, which allow antifreeze to leak out onto the transfer case area. Frankly, I was so pissed off on having a major defect issue at 5k miles, I probably didn't hear all of the explanations or information provided. But I was hoping to provide enough information for someone who could fill in the blanks. Not looking like that's the case.

17. Mar 30, 2023 at 3:03 AM
    RichterScale

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    It worked for me. It piqued my curiosity and caused me to look into it. I don't know what it's official name is, but the part that you had a problem with is in fact a heat exchanger. I didn't even know this part existed and I'm on my 3rd Tundra. So I'm glad I saw this thread. I just wanted to clarify a few of the finer details for my own education, so I would know what to look for on my own truck.
    Also, for posterity.

Double DC[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  18. Mar 30, 2023 at 6:41 AM
    Double DC

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    Does anyone know if other manufacturers use sealant in a similar manner? I find it a bit odd that a critical seal is created by hand with a tube of sealant instead of using a gasket. Seems prone to human error....hope the person wasn't hung over when the sealant was applied, etc. Between the seal for the cam towers and call it the heat exchanger for now, it appears that the two points have an elevated risk of sealant failure. And both are a very expensive to fix if not under warranty. I haven't heard of similar use of sealant by other manufacturers.

19. Mar 30, 2023 at 4:36 PM
    pursuit2550

pursuit2550 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 DC Attitude Black
    It wasn't anything against you. I was just saying it to answer the other members questions. It was more geared toward the tech. Sometimes their answers leave people up in the air. I would also be pissed AF. Nobody wants a brand new vehicle with issue from the get go. I actually had a similar experience with a 6k Acura ILX, leaking oil, rear main seal, common issue. The dealer that sold it to me overfilled with oil by 1 quart. They were in BFE so I took it to a closer dealer. They proceeded to tell me that if I did an oil change with them then they would warranty the oil leak. Told them to fuck off and took it back to the selling dealer. Covered under warranty, no questions asked.

20. Mar 30, 2023 at 7:54 PM
    TwistedTad

TwistedTad TRUCK GANG “T”

Member:
    First Name:
    Tad
    Canyon Lake, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limited CM 4x4
  21. Mar 31, 2023 at 7:40 PM
    thearborbarber

thearborbarber New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SoDak
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    Ford in their mod motors where the 2 timing covers meet the block and gen 1 sb gms where the heads, intake and block meet.

Products Discussed in

To Top