1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Few Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by tylorert, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    tylorert

tylorert [OP] More than likely the youngest here (17)

Member:
    First Name:
    Tylor
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5
    None Yet ;)
    Hey everyone, I will be getting my license soon and my parents are giving me their 2005 SR5 Toyota Tundra with about 270k. Im getting more and more involved with the car clubs and meets in the city and I have a few questions:

Drifting: How hard (or not hard) would it be to drift? Does anyone have experience? Do you use 4WD? I was watching and reading that people recommend coil overs to help with roll? Is it safe to do with the amount of miles I have?

Burnouts: Ive read here where people pull the TCS and ABS fuse and was able to do burnouts clear into 2nd gear. How would I do that and how hard?

Work that has been done (if that matters): New exhaust system, Tranny got replaced at 230K with one that had about 100K, New Timing belt and water pump, New radiator.

Sound system: I dont know about you but I like a good clean sound system with lots of bass. Here is an Amazon list of things Im going to get. Let me know what you guys think. (Not listed: Massive 1500W sub with sealed enclosure and a 2500w amp)
    Link: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/18O76E8WRP2QH

Thanks for your help!

2. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 2X4
    Sell the Tundra and buy a small car better suited to your plans.

3. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    The Californian

The Californian West Coast is the Best Coast

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tundra TRD Pro Crewmax
    These might be the people you want to talk to:[​IMG]

4. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4x4 AC
    ICON, SPC UCA's, SCS Ray 10's
    This. The tundra deserves better...

04DCTundraMan, N84434, tye and 7 others like this.
  5. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    tylorert

Member:
    First Name:
    Tylor
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5
    None Yet ;)
    Very funny hehe

COMiamiFan and Rex Kramer like this.
  6. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    tylorert

Member:
    First Name:
    Tylor
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5
    None Yet ;)
    Well its not like im going to do stupid mods to it. Just the sound system and maybe springs. I love this truck and I wanna get it to 400k. Not planning on doing lifts or anything of the sort. I wanna leave it close to stock as I can.

Pinay and COMiamiFan like this.
  7. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    tylorert

Member:
    First Name:
    Tylor
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5
    None Yet ;)
    That and drifting and burn outs are a once and a while weekend thing. Im 17 let me have my fun lol

Luckydog, Krezz, ColoradoTJ and 3 others like this.
  8. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:15 AM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Is this guy for real? :duh:

For the best burnout, just rev the engine really high in neutral and slam into drive. You'll be the talk of all the car shows, guaranteed.

9. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:15 AM
    rickc5

rickc5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2019 Grey Tundra Platinum
    Rock Warrior Wheels
    I'm afraid that I must agree with Rex. You are trying to use this poor, old Tundra for something that it was NEVER designed to do, and it is more than likely that if you DO try to drift the Tundra, really bad things may happen. If you persist, you will either spend a fortune getting the truck to drift as you want it to, or you will spend a fortune fixing the truck and maybe yourself. Sell it and buy something more suitable. PLEASE!

10. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    Outbound

Outbound Super Secret Elite Member #3

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Doublecab TRD Off Road
    It's a 4wd pickup truck with a high center of gravity, not a pocket rocket. You don't drift them. Burnouts are a great way to ruin tires and wear out your transmission and brakes. They also do a great job of advertising a tiny penis.

You're just getting your licence. Learn ths basics of driving, then learn stunting but do it in a cheap beater car that you learn to fix yourself. A mazda miata, honda s2000 or even a clapped out civix is better suited to failed attempts at wooing the fairer sex. ;)

11. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4x4 AC
    If you do that shit to your truck, you're going to end up breaking something and costing yourself or your parents(most likely) a lot of money. It's a pickup truck, not a honda civic.

04DCTundraMan, N84434, Pinay and 2 others like this.
  12. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    The Californian

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I totally get where you're coming from, my first car was an '85 Toyota Corolla SR5 Hatchback that I bought from my mom for $500, and that was right around when the first Fast and Furious came out - I used to rip around in that thing, burnouts, drifting, donuts - that thing was a blast. I just don't think a Tundra is the right vehicle for that - you need something that is light, low to the ground, and has a manual transmission - and something that has some weight over the rear wheels.

bmf4069 likes this.
  13. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    You're not going to get to 400k by doing that to it. As others have said, sell it and buy a RWD car suited for that kind of stuff.

14. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    tylorert

Member:
    First Name:
    Tylor
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5
    None Yet ;)
    This is all very true. But like I said its got 270k on it and it is showing its age. But in all fairness, while my parents owned it.... It was neglected and was not treated right. Maintenance was never done on time and they always avoided getting work done. The only time they got work done was when it was hardly driveable. Thats it... I constantly ask to have work done but im always ignored. Seems like im the only one who really cares about it.

15. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    tylorert

Member:
    First Name:
    Tylor
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5
    None Yet ;)
    Thanks man :) but heres what I dont get... People do this to their f150's and Silverados.. Why not Tundra?

16. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 Sport
    Do this

:mudding:

Not this

:burnrubber:

Schcoman, Fishman57, Krezz and 2 others like this.
  17. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    The Californian

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Oh you absolutely could do it to a Tundra, but in order to do that you'd have to get better, race tuned suspension that can get you a lower center of gravity, and you'll need to get some weight over those rear wheels to have any control while drifting, but as you said:

The center of gravity on your stock Tundra is just too high to be doing any kind of drifting, you're going to end up breaking that back end loose because it doesn't have any weight on it, losing control, and rolling it.

You absolutely can burn out in a Tundra - put "Beast Mode" in the search bar and you'll see what some of us having been trying out on our newer trucks, but you will have to do some mods to do the other stuff you'd like "safely".

theblurry1 and Rex Kramer like this.
  18. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4x4 AC
    We're not saying it can't be done. We're saying it shouldn't be done. Those idiots you see with their F-150's will never see the kind of mileage that we get out of the Tundras.

But, by all means, if you don't believe us, give it a try!

theblurry1 and Rex Kramer like this.
  19. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:31 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Park the Tundra, buy an old General Motors V8 beater with a coil spring rear suspension. Put an HEI ignition in it and drift & burn out all you want. Once you break that car, sell it for scrap and start driving the Tundra.

Schcoman and RTJ2651 like this.
  20. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:32 AM
    KMG

KMG New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Yacolt, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Limited DC 4x4 TRD
    BFG KO2s, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Firestone RideRite Air Bags, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Trail Ridge Extendable Towing Mirrors
    They were probably doing stupid stuff with the truck maintenance money like raising a child and paying bills! I can tell you aren't going to take any advice that is contrary to what you want to do. My question to you is why did you ask for advice if you are going to dismiss it?

04DCTundraMan and theblurry1 like this.
  21. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    jpod

jpod its Finally here

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey
    Diamondback HD, 1Up Racks, Yakima Bars, Garbage Weston Steps
    Tundras are REALLY heavy. Attempting to drift is likely to end up with someone dead in their subcompact after you lose control and slam into them head-on. Tundras are not little pocket rockets. Get yourself a gulf gti or something.

22. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Better still, park the Tundra, find one of your friends that has done what you want to do and be his co-pilot. Put gas in his tank and let him do all the driving, breaking & repairing... learn from his mistakes.

theblurry1, Sas and MS22 like this.
  23. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon Hey! Get off my grass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Show some appreciation to your parents for providing you with a vehicle and drive it safely. You don't need to go into this with the idea of tearing up a very good pickup by mistreating it or yourself. Life is short, drive safely (again).

24. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Because those trucks have WAY more of an aftermarket for lifted AND lowered trucks.

Now there is a guy rocking a 2JZ swap on the FB page. With a 6 spd swap. You can't drift an auto.

25. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:48 AM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab (I call it my Land Yacht)
    Learn to drive safely first. There'll be time for burnouts and drifting when you have the budget for repairs. Your friends will tell you "See how fast it'll go!", "Do some burn outs!", "Drive it like you stole it!", and especially "Damn, dude, sorry to hear that the engine blew." Ignore them and make it last until you can save up and get the car you really want. The group here will help you with maintenance and repair info. There's a lot you can do yourself to keep it running to that 400k mark. Treating it right is number one on that list.

theblurry1, Sas, shawn474 and 2 others like this.
  26. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    People do it anything. Hell, if it's got a motor and a steering wheel, I will figure out how to make it do a burnout.

Here is my .02 if you are willing to listen. I'm not that old but not that young either. Three days into getting my license, my friend got a brand new Scion TC manual. It was nice little sports car so we all took turns racing it around the high school parking lot one evening. I took for a spin, sliding around on the ebrake and spinning the tires. This in turn pissed off the neighbors surrounding the school and they called it in. When we got done, we began clearing out the parking lot in which we were promptly pulled over. The reporting party picked me out of the 5-6 guys to describe to the police. The police knew there were other drivers but me being the young punk kid I was, I wouldn't tell him who else was driving the car. I ended up receiving a 12 point 'ticket' the first week I had my license. Being a new driver, you can imagine how well that went over with my parents, insurance and in court. I didn't learn from there either.

I hot-rodded ANYTHING I drove. My 1995.5 Tacoma, Jeep Wrangler etc were all my race cars. I can tell you from experience, it always bit me in the ass. Whether it was broken parts, tickets, or something else, I paid dearly. Right out of high school I got into motorcycles and it only got worse. I was that a-hole going down the highway at 80mph+ on one wheel seeing how long I could do a wheelie. I recall one summer being in court four times for tickets on my motorcycle. The judge threw the book at me and I had ZERO points on my license for a year. Traffic school, fines, insurance rates going up, etc it got expensive. My insurance started at $20/month and after a couple of years, it was over $250 per month. I finally realized I could not behave on the damn things, sold my bike and hung my helmet for a few years.

The moral of the story is, while it can be fun to do these types activities, it comes with a price. You may get away with it for awhile but it will ALWAYS catch up to you. Believe me, I learned the hard way and expensive way. There was a hundred times that I look back that I thought to myself "Why did I have to do that damn wheelie? Why did I pop the clutch? I should have just went home." My parents made my pay for every damn ticket and I still didn't learn. Don't be 'that guy' and focus your time in energy into something more useful. Find a job (if you don't have one), save your money, buy a old mustang and fix it up. Get a dirt bike or ATV and go tear it up at the track.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  27. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC
    Want an affordable, reliable drifter? Sell the Tundra and use the proceeds to buy an early '90s Volvo 940 Turbo. It's RWD, simple as a stone ax, and you can dial up the boost on the turbo by adding an aquarium air valve to the waste-gate feed line. The red block engines are known to go for millions of miles, the transmission is a variant of the same AW transmission used in Toyota trucks of the day, and it has a Dana solid rear axle that you can get LSD or locker for.

Have at it Speed Racer!:thumbsup:

bmf4069 likes this.
  28. Jan 27, 2020 at 11:00 AM
    tylorert

Member:
    First Name:
    Tylor
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5
    None Yet ;)
    Thanks guys. I didnt quite realize the dangers of drifting with the truck and all the issues that I could have. Buttt. If there is a nice long streach of road, you best believe Im opening up that 2UZ-FE and feeling what shes got. Ill avoid drifting and stuff and just stick to my custom sound system and some light "luxury" mods.

Rex Kramer and bmf4069 like this.
  29. Jan 27, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8

I need to report this post because I'm in it and don't like it. :rofl:

AZ_Tundra1 likes this.
  30. Jan 27, 2020 at 11:02 AM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    That is almost just as bad, if not worse lol. These trucks aren't known for having the best brakes either...

Dude, just drive normal till you get some experience under your belt.

02goes and Rex Kramer like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top