1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Radio Software Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by SnrDisregardo, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Mar 22, 2019 at 11:05 AM
    SnrDisregardo

SnrDisregardo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax 4x4
    TRD Sport Suspension, TRD Front & Rear Sway bar, TRD Pro Shift knob, Charcoal Filter Delete, aFe Pro Dry S w/SABM, LineX bed, Remote Start, OEM tonneau cover, DIY pop'n lock, DIY TRD cold air intake, TRD skid plate, DD SS3 amber fogs, HotShot Offroad Hot Tails, 2020 OE radio with tech12v amp and sub.
    ELI5 because I don't have a sense about this, but wouldn't you be able to download software to upgrade our factory head units to run CarPlay or AndriodCar? Lets say Toyota released a software update for $100.00, I would do it. I would think the hardware would be sufficient enough. After I recently updated Entune, it seems even more dim-witted than usual.

New_DoorDing likes this.
  2. Mar 25, 2019 at 6:11 AM
    kameleon

kameleon New Member

Member:
    Jackson, MS
    Vehicle:
    2015 Crewmax Limited 5.7 MGM
    It would be possible for Toyota to do this but highly unlikely. I too would pay the $100-ish range to enable android auto on the stock headunit in place of or in addition to the stock software.

3. Mar 25, 2019 at 6:14 AM
    Geezer

Geezer New Member

Member:
    Heart of the Catskills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    You never know what Toyota is thinking. With support of carplay in some new vehicles, it looks like they recognize that owners prefer Carplay over Entune; and Entune, like any proprietary software, is expensive and complicated to maintain. They may just throw in the towel at some point and support Carplay on all of their hardware that can use it.

4. Mar 26, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    SnrDisregardo

SnrDisregardo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax 4x4
    TRD Sport Suspension, TRD Front & Rear Sway bar, TRD Pro Shift knob, Charcoal Filter Delete, aFe Pro Dry S w/SABM, LineX bed, Remote Start, OEM tonneau cover, DIY pop'n lock, DIY TRD cold air intake, TRD skid plate, DD SS3 amber fogs, HotShot Offroad Hot Tails, 2020 OE radio with tech12v amp and sub.
    I know Mazda is offering to upgrade their systems for around $200.00 on certain models going back to 2014, but that requires a new head unit. For that, I would just go aftermarket, but I would think our head units would be able to support the capabilities of a third party software.

Products Discussed in

To Top