1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FACTORY AUDIO UPGRADE

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by nclark2011, May 12, 2022.

1. May 12, 2022 at 10:16 AM
    nclark2011

nclark2011 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Payson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CrewMax Limited
    3" leveling kit, 2" wheel spacers, Retrofit OEM LED headlights, Morimoto LED fogs, NSV light bar, Amp Research Power steps, Bakflip bed cover, TRD Skid plate. Interior LED cabin lights, LED tail, brake, turn and cargo lights, MBRP Exhaust, Second Skin Sound Deadening.
    Hey guys,

Hoping to see if I can find some answers to an audio issue I'm having. I have a 2014 Tundra Crewmax limited with the factory JBL audio system. I have been upgrading all the audio in it since it is a bit weak IMO. I am moving to an all JL audio system. I am keeping the factory head unit and using an LC8I. So The tweeters I got said I needed to splice into the factory wiring So I did that in order to get power to the tweeters. Since doing that I believe I am getting distortion. Any time I have my volume passed a certain number the dash speakers start popping. Trying to figure out where I went wrong and resolve this issue. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

2. May 12, 2022 at 10:38 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Give us a list of all the speakers and amp(s) you are using.

The tweeters should have been connected to the passive crossover that came with your speakers.

From the factory, the dash and center speakers were powered off the head unit directly, and the door speakers went through the factory amp under the passenger seat.

3. May 12, 2022 at 10:56 AM
    nclark2011

nclark2011 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Payson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CrewMax Limited
    3" leveling kit, 2" wheel spacers, Retrofit OEM LED headlights, Morimoto LED fogs, NSV light bar, Amp Research Power steps, Bakflip bed cover, TRD Skid plate. Interior LED cabin lights, LED tail, brake, turn and cargo lights, MBRP Exhaust, Second Skin Sound Deadening.
    I have the C3-600s in all four doors (woofer tweeter combo). Each of those came with their own crossovers.

The front doors the tweeter is near the window and the even with the tweeter connected to crossover no sound is produced. I spliced into the factory tweeter wiring and connected that to the crossover and finally got some sound out of them but in doing so the dash speakers start popping. Keep in mind that I still have the JBL speakers in the dash.

For the corner Dash speakers I will be using 2 C7-100ct's (Backordered)

Center Dash I will be using C7-350cm. (Backordered)

As stated earlier I will be using the LC8I since I wont be changing out the factory head unit.

Finally for the amp I will be using the JL Audio XD800/8v2.

I have the Stealth box connected to the factory amp with pretty cheap line output converter on a 1500w Crunch amp but will be swapping the crunch amp with the VX1000/1I monoblock amp

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  4. Jul 7, 2022 at 9:14 AM
    FirstTruck

FirstTruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra MGM CM TRD Sport
    Stock, for now
    Where is the LC8i being used? When using the LC8 you need to rewire the tweeters. The LC8 is an 8 channel signal processor. So either you use the LC8 or the crossovers. No need for both.

HU - LC8i - amp - speakers

Products Discussed in

To Top