1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

external wiring question

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by smslavin, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Oct 12, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    smslavin

smslavin [OP] Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Just picked up a few things from HD that require a hard wire connection. Above the garage, I have this.

Photo Oct 12, 9 28 15 AM.jpg

The window is the master bath that was added on prior to our purchasing the house. Below that window is a spa tub. My assumption is that the conduit is providing the power to the tub. Can I tap into that to provide power to the floodlight? If not, what other options might I have? Would like to get this done today.

2. Oct 12, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Solved this for the time being by replacing one of the existing floods. It's not as high but I have great coverage on the yard with both the camera and motion detector.

Photo Oct 12, 2 42 04 PM.jpg

Working on the second camera over the side door now. That'll give me coverage to the left of this picture including the street. I may have to add another camera above the garage, or move this one at some point, because if Bec is parked in the driveway, there is no view between the cars.

One thing to be aware of if you install one of these. The Ring service does not play with a VPN service. When I first installed it, I would not get any video or motion alerts. Turned off the VPN and everything worked. Moved the Ring to a different address block, that is outside the VPN addressing, turned the VPN back on and now I can see everything. Besides that, setup was painless.

3. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:23 PM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Ok, need a sanity check. Second cam I bought has a 20' long cord with a plug. This seems to defeat the purpose of an always on security camera. Above the side door is a light fixture. I had thought about tapping into the fixture but then realized that the cam would only be on when the light was on. I don't want the light on all day long.

So, I'm thinking a can drop some romex down into the wall to the switch on the inside of the door. I'll snip the end off the cord and fix it to one end of the romex. If I take the other end and put it on the hot side of the switch, the camera will have constant power. That should let the light function normally with the switch. Does that sound right?

4. Oct 13, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    Yamahn

Yamahn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra
    Not recommended! That feed is likely on it’s own breaker, probably a much higher amperage breaker than you want. Go through the first floor rim joist into the garage, short run to the panel from there.
    Get a light with a daylight sensor for automatic on/off

Products Discussed in

To Top