1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Experiment with RUST Issue on 2003 Tundra

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by F1reheart, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Oct 5, 2017 at 4:53 AM
    F1reheart

F1reheart [OP] Love my Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 4.7
    So, I thought I’d share what I’m doing with my Tundra to deal with pretty bad rust underneath, in case anyone else finds it helpful. I bought the truck (my first!) in July for a song from my sister-in-law’s Dad, thinking to use it while we were moving. He didn’t think it would pass inspection. I took it to a local mechanic, just for grins, and asked him what it would take to get it inspectable. Four brakes, two rods and a cable later, I had a road ready truck with less than 100k miles.

Her Dad did nice body work around all four fenders, so the outside looks pretty good for an old girl. Underneath, the rust is extensive, even though recall work has obviously been done. I had an auto-body shop weld two almost cracks on the sidewalls. On to the experiment.

Not having a Midas tree in my back yard, replacing the frame is out. So, I did research about chemicals that can transform rust. There’s so much of it that removing it is impossible. I wanted stuff that could go on with a minimum of fuss. (The emphasis on getting something that could transform rather than remove is important.) I settled on Black Star Rust Converter, which at $90 on Amazon had me crossing my fingers.

I’ve spent the last two months scraping off loose rust and dirt and applying the stuff everywhere I can reach. I’ve coated the frame, driveshafts, springs, differentials, ANYTHING rusty. I’m not done yet! Some items I’ve coated multiple times because the rust was deep and came through in a pebbled sort of way.

Once I’m done, I’m going to apply a quart of Rust Bullet ($54 bucks a quart, geez) on the frame and crossbars, covering as much as I can. I’m keeping pictures, and if anyone is interested, I’ll continue to post whether this is really going to work. I don’t expect miracles, but I’d like to keep it on the road as long as I can.

GNTundra and tacoguybill like this.
  2. Oct 5, 2017 at 5:22 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Good Luck. Post some pics and keep updating us.

3. Oct 5, 2017 at 6:14 AM
    tacoguybill

tacoguybill The Burrito Bandido

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Saaaan Diaaago
    Vehicle:
    06 DC SR5 4x4 174k, 04 Sequoia SR5 4x4 105k
    Hell yeah sounds like an awesome project!

4. Jan 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM
    rkenny

rkenny New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver Colorado
    Any progress on the experiment?

Products Discussed in

To Top