1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Expansion Valve Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Jul 5, 2020 at 3:15 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA [OP] Still Gonna Send It...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 Tundra SR5 TRD (Psycho White)
    Chopped and dumped dual exhaust; 6" fully adjustable ProComp lift w/ FabTech rear shocks, 12.5x20 Pro Comp rims on 37x12.50x20 tread wright mud tires, pedal commander throttle programmer and sound system from hell which consist of Sony double din headunit, 4 Morel Maximo Ultra 603 component door speakers w/ 4 tweeters ran on a Rockford fosgate P500-4 punch amp under drivers seat then the bass comes from a custom 15” 4000rms sub made from a Skar 15” Skar basket and motor with sundown x series components made by Patrick @ Robot Underground in Mesa AZ which is powered by 2 C.A.B. Audio 2000.1D amps strapped together at .08ohm which produces just under 5000rms. Also installed 100sq.ft. 10mil dynamat sound deadening on all 4doors (both exterior and interior chambers) double layer on roof and back wall as well as inside side mirror covers and behind side mirrors
    I’ve replied to older threads but got no answers. So I’m having A/C problems and after all testing it turns out my expansion valve is clogged. Anyone else got info on how long this job takes? What to do and what not to do’s of replacing it? I have a good idea of where it’s located just never changed one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. Jul 14, 2020 at 6:10 PM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Chopped and dumped dual exhaust; 6" fully adjustable ProComp lift w/ FabTech rear shocks, 12.5x20 Pro Comp rims on 37x12.50x20 tread wright mud tires, pedal commander throttle programmer and sound system from hell which consist of Sony double din headunit, 4 Morel Maximo Ultra 603 component door speakers w/ 4 tweeters ran on a Rockford fosgate P500-4 punch amp under drivers seat then the bass comes from a custom 15” 4000rms sub made from a Skar 15” Skar basket and motor with sundown x series components made by Patrick @ Robot Underground in Mesa AZ which is powered by 2 C.A.B. Audio 2000.1D amps strapped together at .08ohm which produces just under 5000rms. Also installed 100sq.ft. 10mil dynamat sound deadening on all 4doors (both exterior and interior chambers) double layer on roof and back wall as well as inside side mirror covers and behind side mirrors
    What does no one work in their own vehicles anymore? I know someone has done this task before.

3. Jul 14, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
  4. Jul 14, 2020 at 6:25 PM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 14, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I am surprised no one had chimed in yet. We have a few Yota mechanics here.

6. Jul 14, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    That makes two of us. I was expecting to see some kind of a response

7. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    Youtube might be your best bet... I searched most sites with help with the starter, but no one had seen, nor touched theirs... so I scoured Youtube and found various ways to dig it out, and experimented my own way...

8. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    We've had a few members here that replaced their starter. Not a fun job at all. Stupid location.

9. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I agree, but not as stupid as them BMWs that you have to tear half the engine off to get to it.... my friend showed me his and I was tired just looking at all the gymnastics there, lol never mind my gymnastics to pull it out the front..... there isn't a full write up on it, which I'm a visual learner as well as hands on learner, so in that case youtube helped a million.

10. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Failure2comply and Black Wolf like this.
  11. Jul 15, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Shit I just had to swap the alternator. I don’t think I’ve ever cussed so much in my life. Not to mention my arms look like I got attack by a bobcat due to the tight spots accessing the bolts

12. Jul 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    I've done very little work to AC systems but I do know it's worth while to have the system evacuated before you crack the line. Once you've replaced it you're going to need to have a vacuum pump suck out any moisture and then have it charged. Unless you have the tools to do it I would pick someone who can and have them evacuate the system. Hopefully they will give you a discount since you will be returning. Also they can give you advice.

13. Jul 15, 2020 at 4:16 PM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    My buddy has a shop and he’s going discharge the system and recharge it when I’m done. That parts not the issue.

14. Jul 15, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    blackdemon_tt[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jul 15, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well, this may answer your question to: Do people work on their cars anymore??... lol..

16. Jul 15, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    blackoutt

blackoutt YEAH BUDDY!

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed - Old Man Tan
    OEM+
    I replaced the heater box on my 07 for a broken flapper shaft. To access the expansion valve I would first see if you can get to the bolt holding it onto the evaporator core from the drivers side footwell, follow the lines from the firewall side under the hood in the cab, peel back the foam insulation around the lines. Otherwise you're looking at a full dash removal to pull and split the heater box same as an evaporator replacement. It took me 9 hrs start to finish, average at home mechanic. I do have a spare expansion valve now if you want to make me an offer, I forget what I listed it for on here.

The 2 Allen head bolts are what you're looking for
    IMAG0374.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  17. Jul 16, 2020 at 2:15 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info. I have already purchased the valve just studying up on the process and making note of all the shortcuts that may be possible. I’m truly hoping that I can find a way to tap on it and see if it will dislodge the clog and open up. Then replace the valve during cooler weather

18. Jul 16, 2020 at 2:17 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Hell I don’t think to many even know how to change a tire nowadays let alone work on their vehicles

blackdemon_tt[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jul 16, 2020 at 5:07 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    If you want to try I've heard of people saying they had luck back flushing it. Basically you remove the AC lines at the firewall and then try to put pressure on the output side and hope what ever is in there comes out. I've always thought that the expansion valve acted like a check valve and would not allow reverse flow. If you do remove the dash I would take lots of pictures. I've removed my center console and some of the other pieces of trim to do things like replace the radio. I think it's more labor intensive and easy to miss connecting a wire when reinstalling.

20. Jul 16, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    blackoutt

blackoutt YEAH BUDDY!

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed - Old Man Tan
    OEM+
    Very easy to miss a connection. When I bought my truck the dash clock didn't work, turns out it was from a previous owners mechanic missing that plug when replacing the evaporator. It goes to a set of body control connectors on the BACK side of all the other connectors way up under the dash.

What I found is it seems like most other Tundra forums have people start threads on an issue. Get no useful responses in a day, take it to the dealer, and never come back to add resolution to the thread. This forum is slightly better. Maybe Tundra owners are older/busier/more financially stable than other platforms where people are DIY'ing everything.

21. Jul 20, 2020 at 1:50 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    I haven’t started the project yet. It’s been to damn . Supposed to have a cool front coming in so hopefully it will be around 103 so I can start the project

22. Jul 21, 2020 at 6:02 AM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You may also want to pack up some patience, cold ones and some good life questions to ponder besides the why are you doing this in the first place.... I packaged all of these up while laying on the concrete floor wondering if it would be easier to remove my exhaust for 2 bolts a nut and a connector....

23. Jul 22, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Well that is a lot easier than a bucket of bolts, screws and different fasteners. Thinking about it what connector is it exactly? By chance not the one I just made a thread about is it?

24. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:00 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    So I finally got around to doing this expansion valve replacement and quit honestly now that I’ve done it once the next time should only take about an hour or so. It is located on the drivers side under the dash. Just follow the lines from the engine bay firewall. I also had to fix a front speaker wire issue that I couldn’t locate thanks to the previous owner so I had to remove the whole dash. Found the pinched wire that was touching the support tubes for the dash. Not sure wtf they were thinking but they had fished the wire behind the a/c vents and up through the dash to wire aftermarket dash speakers instead of using the existing connections in each kick panel area. Gotta finish putting it together this morning but definitely a well learned learning experience . @blackdemon_tt you were right about the patience but I forgot to pack them but did come up with quite a few new curse words About 11:30 last night my wife came out and said “Get your fkn ass in the house before the neighbors call the cops on you” . Here’s some pics of what I was dealing with

47A87AB1-65F5-4478-9ABE-30557972018B.jpg
    26A82A6F-AC38-4289-8D63-82DF22FC6054.jpg
    8BF1C5D5-B44E-43A5-8622-F9C63C4A49F6.jpg

25. Jul 23, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    bsyracuse3596

bsyracuse3596 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra 4WD
    How long did it take you from start to finish? I need to replace expansion valve. Not looking forward to it!

26. Jul 26, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    It’s easier than it looks. Originally I was told the dash would have to come out to replace it so beings I already had part of the dash removed I went for it and after removing the whole dash and found where the expansion valve was located I was pissed at myself for putting it off for as long as I did and not researching it better. You don’t need to remove the dash at all. If you look down by the gas pedal and look up you’ll see two lines coming through the firewall and that’s where your expansion valve is located. Once your ac system has been evacuated of all fluid and pressure you can then look under the hood from the drivers side and you’ll see where them lines go through the firewall. Holding the lines in is a W shaped keeper held in place by one or two bolts. Remove the bolt/bolts and Then gently pull the two lines away from the firewall. Now go to the expansion valve location and remove the insulation material and you’ll see some Allen head machine type bolts. Remove them and pull the lines away from the expansion valve. Install new expansion valve and o-rings then reverse the process and put it all back together. Once I did it the next time will take probably 30min if that.

27. Jul 26, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Here’s a pic of its location

5A038D8B-3F03-41A7-9384-6F1C5BCB02AD.jpg

28. Jul 26, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    bsyracuse3596

bsyracuse3596 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra 4WD
    Thanks for sharing! That definitely makes it sound easier to tackle.

29. Feb 22, 2022 at 8:27 AM
    cannonsbrady5

cannonsbrady5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra DC Silver
    Leveling Kit, Subs, Fuel Wheels etc
    Sorry to dig up an old thread. Psycho, would you be open to chatting with me on this job?

Thanks, Brady

30. Feb 22, 2022 at 5:24 PM
    PSYCHO WHITE TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Apologies for the late reply been swamped at work. What you got

Products Discussed in

To Top