1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust back pressure

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Abrook, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Oct 9, 2017 at 1:43 PM
    Abrook

Abrook [OP] New Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    2016 Supercharged Tundra
    Magnuson Supercarger, bullydog gt, fuel cleaver wheels on 33 Terra grapplers, custom royalty core grill, rigid industries LED's(20,30, d-series), katzkin, bilstein shocks, spyder head & tail lights. spyder 3rd brake light, TRD sway bar, corsa exhaust.
    i need a little help with exhaust pipe size, backpressure and forced induction.
    I have a 2016 Super Charged Tundra with stock exhaust. My plan was to have a local shop bend 3" dual catback. They're a reputable exhaust shop and I trust them. When I called the tech support line at Corsa to order tips i bounced plan plan off them. The guy told me I would lose to much back pressure with dual 3" catback and to either stay with a single exhaust, their product($1300) or a 3" x pipe would also work great without loosing low rpm torque. Would I lose torque going with a dual 3" catback? Is a X pipe a better choice? Anyone have one?

2. Oct 9, 2017 at 1:47 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Yes, with dual 3” pipes you’ll most def lose some low-end torque. I don’t know about the “X” pipe.

I personally went with a single 3” exhaust and it’s totally fine. You should probably do whatever the manufacture of the exhaust system says. I have a alternative idea, @dirtydeeds call Keith and tell him what you want. He’s got our Tundra exhaust perfected and you’ll lose nothing with one of his systems and probably save a few $$.

3. Oct 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM
    Abrook

Abrook [OP] New Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    2016 Supercharged Tundra
    Magnuson Supercarger, bullydog gt, fuel cleaver wheels on 33 Terra grapplers, custom royalty core grill, rigid industries LED's(20,30, d-series), katzkin, bilstein shocks, spyder head & tail lights. spyder 3rd brake light, TRD sway bar, corsa exhaust.
    I always thought with a supercharger or turbo that less back pressure was better And more exhaust flow was needed.

040Tundra likes this.
  4. Oct 10, 2017 at 12:07 AM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    When supercharged literally pick the sound and the look that you want.

Well, except for dual 3” exhaust. Thst only works when naturally aspirated with long tube headers.

With a supercharger you lose low end torque without any gain in HP.

This is not opinion. This is years of testing on a dyno and at the track.

THe Corsa would work great. Our 8” system is great. Trd is great. Anything that is a flow thru design and not chambers or walls in the way of the exhaust.

When supercharged you wanna free up the exhaust. But not for the sake of hp. Keep pipe size the same or close to the same as stock to maintain low end torque. But get rid of the factory restrictive muffler.

Call if you have any questions.

And check out Www.dirtydeedsindustries.com

5. Oct 10, 2017 at 1:00 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Talk to the guy above, Keith from dirty deeds, he will get you set up.

BlueBottle and dirtydeeds like this.
  6. Oct 10, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    Abrook

Abrook [OP] New Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    2016 Supercharged Tundra
    I don’t want to lose any torque.
    A few times a month a will haul a pallet of DEF, engine or something else heavy.

Which one at DD should I be looking at?
    The 07-16 Tundra race exhaust looks like duals. Not sure what size pipe though.

I’m only doing cat backs. If I’m understanding right a catback with x pipe should be fine. From the feedback though a 2.5 vs 3” pipe.

dirtydeeds likes this.
  7. Oct 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    A catback with X pipe will work fine on a truck with stock exhaust manifolds and no supercharger, but our 8" system works better.

Either system gains 3-10hp and 10-20tq to the rear wheels. But the single exhaust definitely has better low end torque.

Products Discussed in

To Top