1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Everything Elka and How They Compare

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jberry813, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Feb 8, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 [OP] The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    Been getting quite a few PMs across several of @Bob's sites asking about Elkas, so I figured I would throw this together as a one-stop-shop. For those that don't know, I am currently running Elkas front and rear on my 2015 Tundra. Prior to the Elkas I had OE Kings. I mention that only because you'll see some side by side comparison between Elka and King and how it relates specifically to Toyota OE suspension and mount points. I ran the Kings from June 2015 to September 2018. The Elkas have been on since September 2018 and I feel like I have enough ass-to-seat time to make a fair assessment. For those of you that know me, know I'm a huge King fanboy and a shock snob. But in my younger days, I was big into quads and moto-x and I ran Elkas on all my competition bikes. Naturally it piqued my interest when I heard Elka was branching into the passenger vehicle market.

34B9941B-AA5E-477B-B092-B67B7ABA5927.jpg

First off, if your greater plan is to go long travel or any kind of rear shock relocate, you can stop reading now. Elkas are designed to be a drop in coilover and shock replacement with all factory hardware, geometry, and mount points. The fronts are a traditional adjustable coilover with a preload collar one can adjust to add preload to change the ride height. How much lift is entirely up to the owner. I set mine about 2" to be mostly level with the rear. The rear Elka shocks are intended for 0-1" of lift in the rear. So those of you with plans for a drop bracket lift or a massive amounts of lift in the rear, not going to work. On the flip side, if you are just trying to level out your truck and only using an AAL, 1" block, or 0-1" extended shackle, these are ideal. But for the record, this is the exact same restriction that Kings have. Also to set some expectations, you are gonna see the Kings that came off my truck. And they look exactly that, fresh off a truck that they have been on for 2.5 years and 25,000 miles and living in an area that has snow on the ground 3-5 months out of the year. Didn't even bother cleaning them up yet. So take that into consideration.

You will see a common theme with the Elkas throughout this post. And that is their fit and finish and attention to details is astonishing. Elka uses an all aluminum shock body vs. the majority of the competition. King, Fox, Icon, ADS, etc all use steel shock bodies. There are different schools of though when it comes to what material to use. Steel is, without a doubt, stronger than aluminum. It also has a smaller thermal expansion coefficient. Pretty much all manufacturers use aluminum pistons. What this translates to is, as the shocks heat up, the piston and IFP will expand at a faster rate than the steel shock body. This in turn makes a tighter seal for the IFP and wear band around the main piston. But the thermal expansion is so minute, it's only a very minimal difference. On the other hand, steel shock bodies come with steel problems (corrosion and rust). Each brand has their own way to combat it. IMO ADS has by far the best finish on the market. They do cadmium plating on the bodies followed up with a ceramic clear coat. King is similar. Fox and SAW literally have the worst finish on the market. So if you live in the salt belt or near the ocean or anything salty in general, I would strongly advise against Fox or SAW. Some manufacturers (Elka included) have moved to aluminum for shock bodies as well, but it depends on the shock diameter. Most of the aluminum bodies on the market are below 2.5" diameter shocks. The nice part about aluminum is...you don't have to worry about rust.

Let's start with the rear (only because that's the order the pictures uploaded). Right off the bat you can see what I mean by the attention to detail and fit/finish. The Elka shocks really are a work of art. You'll notice they are a tad bit longer than the Kings. This is actually a good thing for those of you with a small amount of lift in the back. I'm only running Total Chaos 3/4" lift shackles on the stock leaf pack on my truck, and at full droop, the shocks ended up being the limiter when topped out. Not by much, just barely. Since moving over to Elka, I don't hear the rears top out anymore.

5925118C-24D2-4CD8-B7BC-AC38A2F077DE.jpg

You'll notice Elka was smart about their research and development as they include a shaft boot with the rear shocks. Anyone who's owned a Tundra or Tacoma knows that the rear shocks are angled opposite. Meaning the passenger rear shock is angled backwards while the driver rear shock is angled forward. The shaft on the forward facing shock gets beat to shit with rock debris and ricochets. Elka included shock boots to protect the shafts for this very reason. The vast majority of the time it's irrelevant and you'll just have some minor pits that clean up with steel wool. But with chrome plated shafts like King uses, it can look kind of gross in between car washes. Also a nice touch, Elka includes a flexible internal rubber bump inside the boot on the shock shaft.

ED3C6C64-99DD-4C61-B83C-2815088395BC.jpg

Elka uses a threaded rod end while King uses a welded rod end. The welded rod end is shorter than a threaded and typically used in scenarios where you are trying to get more bump travel. Also the misalignment spacers around the spherical bearing are beefy as all hell on the Elka shocks. Some comparison shots.

13737A6B-3A48-4A50-AAC8-A60A25608A33.jpg
    68C3A808-AC56-4CB3-9F41-12C25839A9B9.jpg
    76E8A0C1-AFBB-4AC9-BE9B-5053A978A1A8.jpg
    3D424ED9-2F3A-4A33-945E-0B3249178788.jpg
    7E963FE4-F7BB-49B0-8D5C-B7FD6AE1827C.jpg

I will say this next bit is a bit disappointing. Elka decided to use only 3/4" shock shafts. In terms of equivalent aftermarket shock companies on the market (including King), most use 7/8" shafts. In fact the only aftermarket shock in this shock tier I can think of that uses 3/4" shafts are the OME BP-51. For most this won't matter one bit. For those that are actually putting their rig through the paces off-road, I've already seen two separate instances of BP-51s where the coilover shaft folded.

0FB25894-BABC-4CA5-B784-ED26E0CACA0A.jpg
    FF64C8B2-B505-4A6A-969E-318A9381FC4A.jpg

Again more attention to detail. The top stud bushings on the Elkas have a taper that fits inside the hole on the upper frame mounting point. Kings use just a sammich method.

05D36256-7E23-4366-B95C-91ECD9FFE3D4.jpg
    DD41D29C-4708-464E-B1B8-5370488ADC4A.jpg

The remote reservoir brackets are downright awesome. Most manufacturers just use a simple bracket that uses factory hardware somewhere and holds the resi in place with two hose clamps. Not Elka! They came up with a really trick bracket with hinges. Is it necessary? Not at all. Hose clamps work just fine. But I damn sure don't wanna give them up! They also center the resi exactly where it needs to be so you don't have to move the resi around trying to get it in the right spot so it doesn't contact anything else. The drawback with the Elka brackets is they are not as low-pro and flush as the King ones. Again this will all depend on your setup, but with my truck sitting on 35x12.5x18 on SCS Ray 10s with 6" backspacing, I barely rub the bracket at full lock if the tire is stuffed a bit. I did not have this problem with the Kings.

FBD64F26-59C9-4080-88F4-EADF215B2DDF.jpg
    0D0142E3-E946-43F8-BC19-CB73E6FF110A.jpg
    DE8E105C-10E8-4CB4-A4B9-5DF02DF317E3.jpg

The resis come with dual compression clickers. You have a low speed and a high speed clicker that function independently. I personally am not a huge fan of clickers. On all of my rigs I do my own shock tuning, valving, rebuilds, etc. And a single clicker never did the job for me. I would always feel like it was restricting too much or too little oil through the adjust orifice, but dependent on speed. So what felt and performed well at a high speed, was uncomfortable at a low speed and vice-versa. The dual clickers on the Elka are very similar to the dual clickers that Fox offers. And I gotta say it's a huge improvement having the ability to tune two different speed zones. For my play trucks, I'll stick with tuning with the bypasses. But for a daily driver weekend warrior, I'll admit the dual clickers have their place. Keep in mind these are compression clickers only. There is no rebound adjustment like there is with Elka's powersports lineup. Elka includes a tag for each shock letting you know which shock it is and the factory settings they set the shock up at.

5E746CBD-77C1-4F07-8C81-C6026ABD3633.jpg
    98C0923C-3FDB-49B0-895E-9ACCA8C5E7C3.jpg

Remember that fit/finish I mentioned before? Here's another one. After looking at the resi a few minutes wondering how the hell I can check nitrogen pressure, I figured out the decorative end cap is actually the schrader valve cap and spins directly onto the valve. Bonus points in the clever and clean departments.

AE06638B-1C9C-407E-8C8F-67175C1B81A7.jpg
    F74CAE43-7AD2-40AC-81AC-5D9851F9C02D.jpg

And that final product installed looks awesome. The black and red color scheme works really well on my truck.

53CD4292-0514-4510-BF6E-34344058BFB4.jpg

On to the front coilovers. Pretty much same design as the rear. Something to note. They come with 12.5 x 408 springs. Elka is based in Canada, so for those that refuse to learn the metric system, that's a 700 lb/in x 16 inch spring. King ships with a 600x16 with an option to substitute for a 700x16. I had the 600 lb on my Kings. IMO, the 600 is too light and the 700 is too heavy. Unfortunately nobody makes a 650x16 coil spring, so it's going to be a decision you have to make. If you're not running any extra weight, just looking for a little bit of lift up front (0-2") I would recommend 600 lb. If you have added front weight (bumper, winch, skids, dual batteries, etc.) or looking to get that full 3" of lift up front, I would recommend the 700 lb springs.

44FEF050-482D-487D-B137-F583B1536A08.jpg
    C2E7FA8E-9CBA-4AFE-B53A-BFEDA7A5BD16.jpg

Here's a side-by-side shot. One thing I really do like about the Elka vs King is the preload collar. Kind of hard to tell with this photo, but the preload collar on the Elkas have more holes than the Kings. Anyone who's ever adjusted preload on a King coilover without removing it from the vehicle knows where I'm going with this. If you try to add preload with the coilover installed on the truck, you'll run out of holes you can stick the punch into because the resi hose, UCA, or coil bucket will get in the way. You have to use a spanner wrench (or get really creative) to get a hole further back. Well Elka thought of this and they actually have more holes in the preload collar for you to stick the punch in. So you can add preload with the coilover still installed on the vehicle, without getting creative, and only need one tool for the job. <Insert manufacturer CYA clause to only adjust preload with coilover removed from vehicle here.>

You'll also notice right away that OAL is basically identical when compared side by side to the Kings. However, if you look closer, the Kings have a visibly longer shock body with a tapered lower spring retainer. This allows the shock body to be recessed inside the lower retainer so you don't sacrifice bump travel. When I see something like this, I instinctively grab the tape measure to find out actual travel numbers.

896B0021-2C19-4AD8-B920-1F58D16A75AB.jpg

And the numbers don't lie. Kings have a total shaft travel of 7 inches while Elkas have a total shaft travel of 6.5 inches. Now keep in mind this is shaft travel, not suspension travel. The factory geometry on our trucks is a little bit shy of a 2:1 ratio. So that 1/2" less shaft travel equates to a little over 3/4" less wheel travel. Keep that in mind in your decision making.

27A780BF-BD4B-45F8-B1A6-0631C1E5245D.jpg
    B79C0E65-2AEB-4253-904C-6883D00BD7F8.jpg

Just like the rears, a tag is included on every shock letting you know which shock it is and the factory settings. I will say it looked like someone was in a bit of a rush to get these out the door. You'll notice the tag for the coilover (which is obviously the front) was highlighted "Rear." The slash and circled "Front" are my scribbles. Both front coilovers were mislabeled "Rear." Obviously not a big deal. Not like I needed the instructions or labels anyway, but certainly something that could cause confusion for the rookies.

53ED8827-58D2-494C-8B3C-C909240DE605.jpg

And fully installed. Again I'm a big fan of the Elka aesthetics.

AF591877-209C-4032-BA5D-E14A0F9A5206.jpg

Small nuisance. Not sure if Elka's jig wasn't setup correctly or they were not anticipating aftermarket UCAs. But at full droop, both the passenger and driver side resi hose/fittings off the shock body were coming into contact with the UCA. I had to loosen the compression fitting and rotate the hose inwards towards the frame.

2C0C1227-58D5-4DC5-9E4B-CA1D363E9DBE.jpg

Below is the preload adjustment punches that come with King (left) and Elka (right). I'll be the first one to say it. The one that comes with Elka is complete garbage. I didn't even add a single complete turn of preload before I threw the damn thing out of the garage, bounced off the retaining wall, and landed in my neighbor's yard. It has almost zero leverage...and that's something you're going to need with a 700# spring. The good news is the King punch is the same diameter and my King spanner wrench fit as well.

0C79CB69-6566-41E2-8CF2-905C622FDC9B.jpg

So before anyone else gets the chance to ask me, what did jberry decide to keep and why? We all build and use our trucks differently. For me, the Tundra is my tow pig, out of town trip vehicle, and grocery getter. I wouldn't even call it a weekend warrior, more of an occasional warrior. Sure it sees dirt. It's fun to take out in the desert when I go shooting hitting g-outs and wash. But I'm not crawling Rubicon with it. For what I use my truck for, the Elkas are the better choice. I've got more tunability to make the ride comfort around town really nice but still have the shocks perform in the desert without having to make adjustments. All aluminum certainly helps me out with the winters in Tahoe. And damn they just look really sexy. However, if I were shopping for shocks on a rig I plan on beating on, I would stick with King. The larger shaft diameter and more travel are a no-brainer if you're beating on your truck and putting it through its paces. If you're an "Overlander," which as I understand it means you're just driving out to Alabama Hills to take some drone footage of yourself parked on a 6" tall rock, the Elkas will work excellent for you too.

2. Feb 8, 2019 at 12:35 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Metric shit ton of parts
    And here we go!

3. Feb 8, 2019 at 12:48 PM
    mtntop

mtntop New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    Nice write up JBerry, I really appreciated the attention to detail and honest comparisons

zcarpenter92 and jberry813[OP] like this.
  4. Feb 8, 2019 at 1:11 PM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    very good write up. the resi mounts are really nice.

jberry813[OP] and GodlessPro like this.
  5. Feb 8, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Very informative! Thanks Jason! :thumbsup:

jberry813[OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2019 at 2:47 PM
    Bailey

Bailey Enjoy Every Sandwich

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB Limited 4x4 “Clifford”
    Great write-up :thumbsup:

Loving my Elkas

7. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    excellent

jberry813[OP] and 040Tundra like this.
  8. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    LMAO..so true

9. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    So what are u doing with ur Kings?

4Runner likes this.
  10. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Was thinking the same. Rebuild those suckers and good as new.

11. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    Hey hey I asked first lol

12. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    All yours brother....I have some Fox 2.5s all around in the box. :)

monaco730 likes this.
  13. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:42 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Metric shit ton of parts
    I hate that word so much. I have a really good analogy, but I'd have to ban myself if I posted it.

I currently have a list of those that have inquired. I know this may come off as weird and unusual, but I do have morals (that are loose) and tact (derivative). You would be 3rd in line (that has not flaked) if you are really interested.

14. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    Keep me posted and if they haven’t sold and it’s my turn let me know the price please and if we can work something out great but I won’t say yes and flake out on u that’s for sure

jberry813[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    chickunfut

chickunfut Low-buck Ramp Truck

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Crewmax
    Thanks for the nice review.
    I also ran Elkas competitively on a cross-country quad for several years and beat the crap out of them without any issues. Build quality looks to be the same. Customer service was always top notch. They should do well in the truck market.

16. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:35 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Great write up. How is the ride compared to the Kings? Your rear shaft was very pitted. I live where is snow 4-5 months out of the year too. See a pitted shaft on Kings is a bummer. That why I am thinking ADS.

17. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax Barcelona Red
    TRD Pro Exhaust, TRD Skidplate, TRD Faux-Pro wheels, Ridge Grapplers
    Great write-up, thanks for putting this together.

18. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:44 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Outstanding write up Jason!:thumbsup::mudding:

19. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    @jberry813 Did you lose pressure loosening the compression fitting to rotate it?

theraven and dcsleeper408 like this.
  20. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:45 PM
    Bailey

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    I was one of those "overlanders" at Alabama Hills :anonymous:

21. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:57 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    but did you have the drone hovering over your camp ? :)

22. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:24 PM
    Bailey

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    No drones here, just camping and a little photography for fun

23. Feb 8, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    bdpeelgren

bdpeelgren New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CrewMax Super White
    Readylift 3/1, Rigid D-series fog lights, Supernova V.4, F/R Coverking covers.
    I would love to hear it lol
    It takes a certain kind of person to be an “overlander”

24. Feb 9, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    Markman

Markman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 limited cement cm
    Tint airbags daystar cradles Elka suspension bushwacker flares
    Great job very well done, had no clue where those Schrader valves were at lol

25. Feb 9, 2019 at 2:30 PM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Good, detailed writeup....as would be expected.
    I feel I missed something though, your initial feelings on performance and ride quality out of the box. Sorry if I overlooked it.

Not much I can say for the other mfgs...
    But compared to my ADS I see some similarities.
    ADS provides tapered rear bushings
    ADS also has caps on their shrader valves
    Rear shock top hats look very similar to ADS
    IIRC ADS uses AL resis (not near my truck atm)

These though look like a great option for those wanting some great quality shocks without some added headaches of ext travel. Love that they come with rubbers, had made a huge difference keeping those shafts clean.

26. Feb 9, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Great write up Jason!

27. Feb 10, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Metric shit ton of parts
    ADS used the same shafts as King. Chrome plated. Will be the same thing. And like I said before, totally normal unless all you do is drive to the mall outside of snow country. Just needed to be cleaned up. I could have played if off and cleaned them first and nobody would have known. But I’m not one to sugar coat anything.

The lines don’t have nitrogen in them. They have oil. The IFP in the resi separates the oil cavity from the nitrogen cavity. You just have to barely crack the line and rotate and tighten and you won’t lose any oil either.

Out of the box, after I dicked with the clickers, it performs as well (actually slightly better at low speeds) as my Kings that had my own touch on valving and nitrogen pressure.

Markman, TheBeast and joonbug[QUOTED] like this.
  28. Feb 10, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Excellent write-up. I noticed the adjustable collar is up top. I haven’t been in the adjustable coilover market in awhile and remember seeing them on the bottom. Is there a reason they’re on top instead of on the bottom?

I also remember using a spanner wrench to adjust them, not some of punch, which would seem more prone to marring if you miss with a whack. Are there not spanner wrenches that’ll work, or would they not fit with the collar on top?

As for 650 lb coils, would Eibach be a source for custom coils, or is cost a factor?

29. Feb 11, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '18 Crewmax - ADS Mid Travel
    ADS 2.5's (rear bypass) U748 Leaf Springs

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

30. Feb 11, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Metric shit ton of parts
    Tomato tomato. Doesn't matter where the collar is at, just different designs based on manufacture. At the end of the day they all do the same thing. Most shocks that are designed as coil carriers have the collar at the top. Most companies that adapt an adjustable ride height on a fixed height shock have the collar at the bottom. I use the word "most" as there are exceptions to both.

As far as spanner wrenches go, there are predominantly two types of collars. There are the single collar type with a set screw (as pictured with both King and Elka as well as a myriad of other manufactures). There are also dual collars which leverage two spanner wrenches like Fox and SAW used to do. The dual collars in essence lock each other in place like double nutting a bolt. The single collar with a set screw has proved to be the preference in recent technology because it's easier to adjust (from an end user perspective) and cheaper to manufacture.

I'm intimately familiar with Eibach (for various reasons). They too only offer 600 and 700 lb springs in a 16" length. There's just not enough market in a 16" length spring to offer an intermediate spring rate. There is one company I found that offers a 650 lb spring (IIRC it was viper springs), but the cost factor isn't enough to make me shell out the money when my rig is just a tow pig grocery getter. If it was a toy or something I'm competing with, sure I would spend the money to make it perfect. But it's not the purpose of my Tundra.

equin[QUOTED] and 040Tundra like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top