1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ethanol free gas gas mileage.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by ginocara74, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Jul 9, 2019 at 6:31 AM
    ginocara74

ginocara74 [OP] New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 5.7 V8 FFE 4WD magnetic gray with front bench seat and off road package
    TRD dual exaust, TRD drop in air filter, Weather Tech rain GUARD, tri-fold bed cover
    I've a FFV 17 CM with a TRD dual exaust and TRD intake and since I've bought the truck I've only used ethanol free gas. I average 350 miles per tank (26 gallons) when the gas light comes on. I drive very conservatively. Ethanol free is quite expensive compared to the one with ethanol.
    I would like to compare other people gas mileage that are using gas with ethanol in it and that have set up similar to mine. Thanks.

jp_over likes this.
  2. Jul 9, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I use 87 E10. My commute is about 85% IH and I average 17-18 in normal temps. Round trip is about 60 miles daily. I have a Flowmaster Special 50 dual outlet. Intake is stock. I run ethanol free in boat, lawn equip, and ATV. Not worth the $.40 diff/gallon in a vehicle designed to run on ethanol. Boat is set up and runs fine on e10 but it has a 95 gallon tank and I try to time the market at low points and buy 40 gallons at a time. Gas can sit in tank for a few months unlike truck.

3. Jul 9, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    I've tried both in my rig - never noticed much of a difference in mpg between the two. Definitely not enough difference to warrant the higher price and driving way out of my way to get the ethanol-free stuff.

4. Jul 9, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    MSU Tundra

MSU Tundra Numerous rodeos experienced

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra and 2013 LC200
    I run non-ethanol 93 (higher oct required for super charger) most of the time because its conveniently available in my town. When I'm traveling I fill up with the mixed 93, since its difficult to find non ethanol 93 in most places, and my hand calculated difference is usually around 1-2 mpg. So its worth the extra five or six bucks per 30 gallon fill up for me to get an extra 60 miles or so between fill ups. Plus I feel like its better for my engine's innards to minimize the veggie gas even though its "made to burn it".

5. Jul 9, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    Vector W8

Vector W8 Old guy with a lot of expensive habits.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Super White Crewmax 4X4
    FFV, TRD Supercharger, Bullydog FFV Tune, 2014 Fit Kit, TRD Dual Exhaust, Sequoia Front Sway Bar, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Pro Grill, 040 White Mirror Covers, 040 White Door Handles, Ready Lift 3"/2", Anzo 3rd Brake Light, Winjet LED Tail Lights, LED Fog Lights, LED Rock Lights, Axle Vent Mod, SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount, 12,000lb Winch. Storm Trooper Shift Knob. BMF BATL Wheels.
    I have an SC so I have to run 92+ octane in the truck at all times and try to get ethanol free fuel when I can. I do notice a slight uptick in mileage with the ethanol free fuel, as much as 10%.

6. Jul 9, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia TRD PRO Lunar Rock
    Swimmers gonna swim
    So I've ran it in my previous 2011 CM 2wd, my current 2017 CM FFV 4wd, as well as my wife's previous 2012 Acura TL and her current 2019 Honda Odyssey. First, it is somewhat difficult to find around here as I have only located about 2-3 stations close to me that carry it. In all of the vehicles, I would notice about 1-2 mpg regular jump. On long trips where I have to purchase ethanol gas in different areas, I would notice as much as 3 or even 4 mpg increase between them. Now that the price has been basically about $.40-$.50 higher, it doesn't benefit me to go find it and get it since the cost/mileage difference is exceeded by the ethanol infused gas. Now as mentioned above, I do chase it down every month or so to top of my tanks for my power equip like mowers, trimmers, etc. Not to mention, now we are having alot of construction in our area and are sitting still on interstates often for the next year to 2....so I'm not gonna pay premium $$$ to just sit and burn it off when my mileage is just going to crap anyway. I do feel like it is a bit more responsive as well when I run non ethanol, but that's strictly butt dyno, and have no actual proof if it runs better. Also, I run 87 octane always (except on my wife's TL when she had it, ran 91+). Hope that helps a lil bit bud

7. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    jp_over

jp_over New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax SR5 4x4, white
    Good info - thanks for the thread & discussion!

8. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:

Way too many factors come into play that you really just need to do this test yourself. Drive your regular routes for a month with E10 gas and compare to what you're getting with E0.

But I can tell you it's basically gonna be a wash. I don't really understand the fascination with so many Tundra owners trying to eek out every last possible tenth of a mpg.

Gas is extremely cheap relative to the cost of these $40k trucks. There are smarter ways to spend your time if you're trying to figure out ways to maximize your finances and expenses.

9. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:40 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    If you pick up even .1 or .2 miles running 87UNL instead of 87e10 I would be surprised....

I have tested it in my truck and not picked up anything. I have also ran 93UNL and 93e10 and have seen no difference in mileage. I have Dirty Deeds 8" and TRD intake.

On our stock engines you will not see any difference to substantiate the cost of going premium.

10. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    So is your logic that 89 is better gas? If so it is not valid. I guess since you don't drive a lot you are wasting less money.

11. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia TRD PRO Lunar Rock
    Swimmers gonna swim
    You get to be surprised today. I ran 87 non ethanol in my 2017 5.7L 4wd FFV and would get upper mid/upper 16mpg to low 17mpg. In ethanol gas(up to 10%) I would get lower/mid 15s to low 16s. Ran exclusively non ethanol for first year or so of having truck. When I dropped to ethanol gas in 87 octane, it dropped. Same type of driving and all. I quit using it because the fuel mileage difference didn't make up for the price difference when it went up. I did the math, and it didn't benefit anymore. I won't run 85 in my truck though as long as I have a choice.

Products Discussed in

To Top