1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Brake

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Seadawg1, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Jul 3, 2016 at 5:48 PM
    Seadawg1

Seadawg1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2017 Gray Toyota Tundra, DC, SR5, TRD PRO
    Has anyone heard of engine brakes? Yesterday was the first time I had heard of it. I have not ever towed before and I will start to soon since I bought a travel trailer. So now I am going to learn. I have a 2007 Tundra SR5 Double cab and a 5.7 engine. And was wondering if my Tundra had that type system. thx Novice.

2. Jul 3, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    Ryan Mc.

Ryan Mc. New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Mission Viejo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7L
    Hand made bed divider, bed d-rings
    An engine brake is more of a Jake Brake on semi-trucks. It's an additional valve that releases the compression within the cylinders...that loud sound trucks make sometimes. But what pickup trucks sometimes have is the tow/haul feature which uses both your transmission and engine to brake on hills instead of using your regular brakes.

3. Jul 3, 2016 at 6:53 PM
    Seadawg1

Seadawg1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Is this different than when you have the cruise control on and the p/u picks up speed the engine slows down to the set speed on the c.c.? If I had that there would be a switch or something? thx

4. Jul 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM
    Ryan Mc.

Ryan Mc. New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Mission Viejo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7L
    Hand made bed divider, bed d-rings
    No CC is simply adjusting your throttle. If going down hill with CC the vehicle will speed up due to gravity and the vehicle will back off from the throttle automatically. However at some point there is no more throtle to back off so applying the brakes will be necessary. All these systems do similar things but are for totally different purposes.

Seadawg1[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 3, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    Seadawg1

Seadawg1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    I thought that would have been to easy. :) Thanks.

6. Jul 3, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    Engine brakes are for diesel engines. Gasoline engines naturally brake themselves due to the throttle butterfly.

Seadawg1[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 3, 2016 at 9:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    To answer your last question first, the Tundra has grade braking when in Tow Haul. It is not as good as some of the larger domestic trucks (i.e. Allison 1000 trans)

Now to answer some of your others:

Jake brakes are used only on big rigs. It is a special head relief system. There are other retarders as well such as oil retarders (sprays engine oil on crankshaft), electric/magnetic retarders. These are mostly used for commercial trucks.

Now for light duty desiels...like powerstrokes, Cummins or Duramax trucks. Before the variable vain turbo systems, there were exhaust brakes that were installed in the exhaust or just downstream of the turbo that would close off some of the exhaust flow and create back pressure. This would work quite well. Jacobs made a kick ass one for the Cummins that worked well.
    Now the current manufactures use the variable vain turbos to create the same effect.

However you are in luck, there are gasoline exhaust brakes as well, but not sure if they have an exhaust brake application for the Tundra.

Decelomatic Corporation
    Louis King, Owner
    4837 E. Indian School Rd.
    Phoenix, AZ 85018
    (602) 956-8200

Seadawg1[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 4, 2016 at 10:41 AM
    Seadawg1

Seadawg1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Thx
    I spent a few years living on 35th Ave and Tonto, close to Buckeye Rd. Miss the valley.

9. Jul 4, 2016 at 3:02 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    There are transmission retarders too. They restrict fluid flow in the transmission to cause a braking action.

I've noticed that in my truck, if I'm descending the pass with the Cruise Control off, the truck will pretty much run away like you describe. But, descending the same grade with the Cruise Control on, the transmission will automatically downshift when I reach approximately ten MPH over what the cruise is set. This raises the RPMs and accentuates the engine braking effect slowing the truck. This is without using the Tow/Haul button which seems to be somewhat more aggressive, particularly when you tap the brake.

Don't the folks over in the UK rate engines in Brake Horse Power (bhp)? I thought that I read this is the braking effect of the engine when the throttle is closed after revving it to red line. This may have been applied to motorcycles. I don't know if the two measures, theirs and ours, give similar numbers.

Products Discussed in

To Top