1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

electronic power steering

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by RussellVaughan, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dec 13, 2017 at 7:04 AM
    RussellVaughan

RussellVaughan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Gray TSS 5.7 CM SR5 4x4
    AMP Research PowerSteps; Katzkin leather seats (Nightrunner, all black, no perf/logo); TRD 18" BBS Forged rims; Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT295/70R18) tires; LT295/70R18 spare tire; Rough Country speedo calibrator; Fox 2.0 IFP front & rear w/1" leaf blocks; TRD PRO black headlamps w/Headlight Revolution harness; TRD PRO grill w/color match hood bulge; RCI engine skid plate; BakFlip MX4 tonneau; Baja Design Squadron Sport fog lights w/clear wide lens; front/rear color match bumper covers; K&N CAI; Pedal Commander throttle controller w-trailer brake bezel; SE Toyota wireless charger tray; VLEDS interior and exterior LED lights; AJT Designs interior chrome delete; Sparks Parts driver side grab handle kit; Pop&Lock tailgate lock; ICS Fab dash mount w/support plate; ICS Fab center console mount; SNS Custom Design ABS sensor guards; TRD PRO shift knob; Undercover Swingcase bed storage; Rad Rubber Design engine splash guards; Bull Ring bed rail tie-downs; exterior debadge w/black & engine badge and black 4x4 badge; Charvonia Design billet bed tie-down anchors; rear console USB port; TRD rear sway bar; Fumoto Oil Pan Valve; Toyota metal oil filter assembly; Vexing R1 dash cam; X2Power 24F Battery.
    I learned something the other day that maybe most other people already know?...most later model vehicles use electric power steering. I didn't realize this was a thing, but it makes a lot of sense. no more fluids, and uses a lot less power. sure enough my wife's highlander has it. quick google search shows dodge, ford, and gm trucks have it. not surprised toyota has maintained traditional power steering though on the tundra...google search shows gm and dodge have had recalls on their systems, and ford has reliability concerns. just thought this was interesting.

2. Dec 13, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    TruckLife900

TruckLife900 I'd rather B hunting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 White SR5
    The trick w/ electric PS is for the manufactures to get the steering feel and feedback just right... otherwise steering suffers, feels dead or just off feeling. This is important in sports cars. Maybe i'm old school

3. Dec 13, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    gm125800

gm125800 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali
    When trading vehicles, one can feel the difference between electric and conventional power steering. My wife's Explorer and the F150 which i traded in had it. Yes, they were easier to steer but i occasionally heard of issues post lift or level due to the electric power steering. It took me a few minutes to get used to the Tundra's steering but I'm good as long as i can still turn the wheel with one hand.

4. Dec 13, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    jstchilln

jstchilln New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Eastern Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4X4 SR5 Double Cab / TRD Off road Package
    TRD Pro Grille
    I saw a guy on a news segment talking about this and he said it was all about MPG. He said that the traditional power steering pumps ran off of the pulley system and this used more engine resources and added to MPG. He also said that whereas the old power steering pump would cost around $100.00 that the new ones cost $500 - $1000. He talked about several other little MPG efforts andI cant remember them but each one added to the cost of the vehicle over traditional systems.

5. Dec 13, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    TruckLife900

TruckLife900 I'd rather B hunting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 White SR5
    Yes, it will improve MPG by removing pumping losses/pull off the belt... so will removing A/C & smog pumps... but "thass a whole nother" topic, and at that point you don't care about MPG b/c you're trying to make more HP. :benchpress::burnrubber:

6. Dec 13, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    I had electric P/S in my last two F-150 trucks. It didn't feel any different and I never had an issue with it (had plenty of other issues though......hence I drive a Tundra now).

I hope Toyota adopts that technology with the next iteration Tundra along with electric cooling fans (hate the noise at start up) and the 8-speed out of the Landcruiser. While I am doing my wishful thinking I like to see a dash similar to the Landcruiser and the keyless entry/start system. It would just make sense and I sure would upgrade to the next Tundra.

RussellVaughan[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 13, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    My last truck (Chevy Silverado) had electric fans and steering. The feel of the steering was hard to get used to since the feedback was based on sensors and not actual road feedback. I didn't really like the feel, but it was one of the many MPG enhancers. And yes, they had a lot of issues with it, especially on lifted trucks.

8. Dec 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    My wife's Lexus has electric steering. After driving on curvy roads for a few minutes I start to get motion sickness. And that's not even driving fast. Sadly this is the way the industry is headed.

9. Dec 13, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    RussellVaughan

RussellVaughan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Gray TSS 5.7 CM SR5 4x4
    AMP Research PowerSteps; Katzkin leather seats (Nightrunner, all black, no perf/logo); TRD 18" BBS Forged rims; Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT295/70R18) tires; LT295/70R18 spare tire; Rough Country speedo calibrator; Fox 2.0 IFP front & rear w/1" leaf blocks; TRD PRO black headlamps w/Headlight Revolution harness; TRD PRO grill w/color match hood bulge; RCI engine skid plate; BakFlip MX4 tonneau; Baja Design Squadron Sport fog lights w/clear wide lens; front/rear color match bumper covers; K&N CAI; Pedal Commander throttle controller w-trailer brake bezel; SE Toyota wireless charger tray; VLEDS interior and exterior LED lights; AJT Designs interior chrome delete; Sparks Parts driver side grab handle kit; Pop&Lock tailgate lock; ICS Fab dash mount w/support plate; ICS Fab center console mount; SNS Custom Design ABS sensor guards; TRD PRO shift knob; Undercover Swingcase bed storage; Rad Rubber Design engine splash guards; Bull Ring bed rail tie-downs; exterior debadge w/black & engine badge and black 4x4 badge; Charvonia Design billet bed tie-down anchors; rear console USB port; TRD rear sway bar; Fumoto Oil Pan Valve; Toyota metal oil filter assembly; Vexing R1 dash cam; X2Power 24F Battery.
    this explains my experience at driving my BIL's 2015 silverado. when standing still, steering was suuuuper easy, and got progressively firmer as i sped up. guess that kind of stuff is possible with electric.

10. Dec 13, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    How is electric P/S causing motion sickness? I drove my Fords for 50K miles and nobody ever got sick due to the electric P/S, I got sick of the constant little problems and warranty repairs though!

AggiePhil and 040Tundra like this.
  11. Dec 13, 2017 at 12:51 PM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    We'll if you don't normally get motion sickness as a passenger on curvy roads or during turbulent flights I can't explain it to you. For anyone that does, it's just like as of you are a passenger even though you're driving. The disconnection to the front wheels is really weird.

12. Dec 14, 2017 at 3:58 AM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    The 150/1500 trucks have electric steering now. The heavier trucks still have a hydraulic steering pump.

71_340 likes this.
  13. Dec 14, 2017 at 4:11 AM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    What's up with your signature, do you speak German? Name is German as well.

Just wondering because I was born and raised in Germany, moved to the US in 1985. Wife and I flying to Germany on Saturday for a 2-week vacation. She put me on a limited beer consumption restriction because the last time when I went out with my brother and we came back to his house my wife wasn't to impressed (neither was my brother's wife), we had a good time though.

14. Dec 15, 2017 at 2:28 AM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    I speak a little bit, I just happen to like the phrase.

71_340[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top