1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical issues-alternator and instrument cluster

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by rsfire, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Jun 8, 2020 at 11:22 PM
    rsfire

rsfire [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys. I am having some major electrical gremlins for a truck I bought to flip, big mistake there!
    The alternator is not charging and the instrument cluster does not work(no tac, speedo, gas, battery, ect. And the little gear indicator is off by one).

I noticed that the traces coming from B16 and B15 in the instrument cluster are burnt. I am thinking this may be my problem since I've read that the issues in the instrument cluster can cause the alternator to quit working.
    upload_2020-6-8_23-21-27.jpg

When I was checking those traces with the voltmeter, I accidentally touched the leads across both of the burnt ones and it popped my tail light fuse. Looking at those leads, they are supposed to be joined when intact, it shouldn't pop the fuse when I accidentally joined them. So either the circuit associated with pin b15 or b16 must have a short right? B15 does look like the primary one that burned hot.

It looks like the two wires go to the integration relay (which is just the fuse box right?). One of them ends at the integration relay, and the other goes to the headlights, right? If that is the case, I wonder why it's popping the tail light fuse and not the headlight one? Any suggestions where I should check next from here? It's been awhile and my electrical skills are a bit rusty lol.
    upload_2020-6-8_22-31-48.jpg
    upload_2020-6-8_22-33-38.jpg

upload_2020-6-8_23-18-57.jpg
    I have done a brief check of the tail lights, license plate lights, and the wiring going up to the cab, I didn't see any signs of pinching, shorts, or blown bulbs. But I did not physically pull the wiring out of the loom to check it or anything like that.

I replaced the alternator as well, it did not change anything. The white and the yel/green wire were both getting 12v.

I really hope some of you guys have some input, I'm getting burnt out on this stupid truck.

Thanks!

2. Jun 9, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    B15 looks like a ground, judging from the diode position and rheostat on the other side of illumination. B16 looks like the hot to the high beams, so it shouldn't have been energized unless the ignition was on and the lights were on and on high. I could be completley wrong though.

And a good alternator should put out 14.4v. How's your battery?

Products Discussed in

To Top