1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Duplicolor Color match spray paint

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by cfred70, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Dec 20, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    cfred70

cfred70 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    Extang Solid Fold 2.0, 20% Tint, Black Emblem Overlays
    Any reviews on this? I know lots of guys have plasti dipped their grills and surrounds, has any one tried this instead? Wondered how it matched and how it holds up if i tried to color match my chrome surround instead of doing black plasti dip?

2. Dec 20, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I have not but hear good things about automotivetouchup dot com. I'm gonna get some when it warms up and paint my PRO grill insert blue to match truck.

3. Dec 20, 2017 at 8:39 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Used it on my rear bumper caps. Color is perfect but a little flatter than the OEM paint. Add some clear coat if you want some gloss

4. Dec 20, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    multimile

multimile New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax Cement
    I failed miserably trying to paint a grill/bludge MGM. It was my first “paint project” and couldn’t get even coverage from the spray cans. In the end I now have a crappy spray painted grill/buldge hanging in the rafters of my garage and the chrome shining away on the front of my Tundra. In Duplicolrs defense, the paint match was pretty good, but mine came out way too dull; even with using 4 coats of clear coat. I think if I took the time to wet sand more, wax, buff it might be usable, but I’ll just save my pennies for a TRD Pro or platinum grill down the road.

Eclipsed & Floating likes this.
  5. Dec 20, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    Cuzican

Cuzican New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Platinum Crewmax Tundra
    8" Lift, 22x10 Fuel Forged FF19, 37x13.50r22 Trail Grapplers, Amp Research steps, Spyder black smoked headlights with 35w HID's, all interior lights LED, Undercover tonneau.
    You'll never get it to stick to the chrome well enough to survive on the front of a truck.

6. Jan 11, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    speckmon

speckmon Must. Have. Pow.

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    not true, sand that shit down and fill it in with a good adhesion promoter and you'll be fine.

Eclipsed & Floating likes this.
  7. Jan 11, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I read someone had good luck by getting it all sandblasted first. The paint doesn’t stick because it’s too smooth. So sanding it or sandblasting as well as the adhesion promoter you talked about I would imagine would do well.

DalTee likes this.
  8. Jan 11, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    speckmon

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    yep, scratch the hell out of it, prime, sand smooth, base coat, clear, sand, clear, sand etc till you're happy.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 11, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    Cuzican

Cuzican New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    8" Lift, 22x10 Fuel Forged FF19, 37x13.50r22 Trail Grapplers, Amp Research steps, Spyder black smoked headlights with 35w HID's, all interior lights LED, Undercover tonneau.
    Yeah, well I've paid several different painters that all said the last guy was doing it wrong and assured me that they could make paint stick to chrome, because "they were gonna do it the right way". Guess what, on all occasions I was left with parts covered in shiny specks after less than a year. Now it is entirely possible that I would have had the same amount of specks on non-chromed pieces and they just wouldn't show up as obvious as when the shiny chrome is sparkling where there should be paint, but since I have stopped having chromed pieces painted, I have noticed the paint seems to hold up a lot better and shows less wear over time.

10. Jan 11, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    Cuzican

Cuzican New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    The only way I will paint chrome pieces now is to have them blasted, then powder coated, then finally painted to get a proper color match.

15whtrd likes this.
  11. Jan 11, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    speckmon

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    let all just agree that chrome needs to be wiped from this planet...

...unless it's on hundred spokes on my (one day) juiced out impala slow creeper

12. Jan 11, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    Cuzican

Cuzican New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Chrome has a place, just not on most modern cars, on classics such as your future impala definitely, on my future suicide Lincoln absolutely. Just until manufactures can build cars with enough character to justify that chrome and it be real chrome, not this plastic crap they stick on everything, they need to stop.

speckmon likes this.
  13. Jan 11, 2018 at 8:19 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Yeah that would probably work the best but at that point I’m sure you’re better off just buying the proper part and having it painted.

Products Discussed in

To Top