1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dumb a**

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Worriedman50, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Jan 18, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    Worriedman50

Worriedman50 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    TRD Rear Sway Bar , 6112 front 5160 rear shocks, Retrofit Projector Headlights, Rear LED bumper lights lights, FRAC harness and front camera, TRD Pro Grill and color matched hood bulge.
    Was attempting to change out map lights for Headlight Revolution doulbeextrahellified LED bulbs, pulled the guts out of the driver's side fixture...

Have a feeling this is going to be a very expensive lesson in just going to the dang dealership and paying the vig for mechanic rates...

No way to just replace the connectors on the bulb it seems, "fixture" is $468 before shipping and taxes...

Ideas?

Rica25 likes this.
  2. Jan 18, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black - SR5 - CrewMax - 4x4 - TSS Dirty Seven Club
    Mahal kita Kuya
  3. Jan 19, 2020 at 5:30 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    The fixture just pops out and can be replaced easily. Go get a junk yard one...

Rica25 and Black Wolf like this.
  4. Jan 19, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    Worriedman50

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    TRD Rear Sway Bar , 6112 front 5160 rear shocks, Retrofit Projector Headlights, Rear LED bumper lights lights, FRAC harness and front camera, TRD Pro Grill and color matched hood bulge.
    The contacts did get pushed up and mangled, I tried to pull them back down (had removed the reflector) with long needlenosed pliers, when part of the contact came away with the tug...hence my descriptor...am going to remove the assembly and see if maybe there is a chance to rearrange the remainder ans get it working...

5. Jan 19, 2020 at 9:38 AM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    Mahal kita Kuya
    You should be able to pull the contacts back into place, after you pull off the whole piece.

This is a very common issue. The links I posted earlier will have step by step instruction on how to do this.

831Tun and NewImprovedRon like this.
  6. Jan 19, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Thanks for sharing to forewarn others, like me....

Tundyfundy likes this.
  7. Jan 19, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    After you take it down if you shorted the contacts and have blown the fuse you will find the map light probably still wont work after your repair. The map light switch is the weak link and you can replace them with the exact ones off Amazon. Toyota doesn't sell them.

8. Jan 19, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Yep easy to do and really not that hard to fix. Monet pointed out my fix.

Tundyfundy and Pinay like this.
  9. Jan 19, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    Worriedman50

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    Well, off to the junk yard I go, I got the assembly out and one whole side of the contact is what came out.

Ebay or junk yard if I can find one...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Tundyfundy likes this.
  10. Jan 19, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    Mahal kita Kuya
    Did you try posting back the contact? I used electrical tape to old it down...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jan 19, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    Worriedman50

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    One whole side of the contact is gone, (the side that would have to contact the bulb too) when I screw something up, I do the full Monty.

Kerch71 and Boerseun like this.
  12. Jan 19, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    Bob_Wiley

Bob_Wiley I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful...

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black SR5 Crewmax 5.7 FFV
    Man, I didn’t realize those assemblies were that fragile. I was preparing to swap out all my interior lighting in a few weeks...I’ll remember to be extra careful.

Pinay likes this.
  13. Jan 19, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    Mahal kita Kuya
    Either that or what’s even better is to pull the unit out and tape down the prongs before you put in the new bulbs, that way any future bulb change will already be trouble free.

14. Jan 19, 2020 at 5:47 PM
    SoCalRandy

SoCalRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Limited Crewmax 4x4
    I'm really glad I stumbled across this thread, I was literally just looking at an entire interior LED lighting swap last night. This has me very reluctant to even attempt it now.

YotaNC, Boerseun, RitcheyRch and 2 others like this.
  15. Jan 19, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    Mahal kita Kuya
    Naah man, you can do it! Maybe go ahead and pull off the unit and make sure the prongs stay in place or tape it up before installing the new bulbs. Study what all others did to fix and you’ll be fine!!

16. Jan 19, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    Worriedman50

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    Had I to do it again I would have pulled the assembly out to start with. That took maybe a minute and a half...now if I can just find one at something near a reasonable price.

Anyone know of such unobtanium?

17. Jan 19, 2020 at 6:11 PM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Don’t be intimidated by this install. I did it on my 2018 super easy. Just don’t force anything and disconnect positive on battery. Order kit from headlight revaluation. Follow the instructions on YouTube

Mattyc and Pinay like this.
  18. Jan 19, 2020 at 6:16 PM
    Bob_Wiley

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  19. Jan 20, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    Worriedman50

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    New to me assembly to be in tomorrow, lesson learned...

Bob_Wiley and NewImprovedRon like this.
  20. Jan 21, 2020 at 5:51 AM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax. 4x4, SR5, Blacked Out package
    None. Keeping this one stock.
    happened to me. Passenger side overhead light. Pushed the contact up and off the board. But, I pulled the whole thing down, and fixed it. But now that side light flickers on and off. Way stupid delicate I say.

21. Jan 21, 2020 at 5:54 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    When you did that did you short it out and have to replace the fuse?

22. Jan 22, 2020 at 3:46 AM
    Worriedman50

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    Got the assembly in yesterday, plucked the OEM bulbs out on the kitchen table, (need to rig a tool to take them out easier, you can bet your bippy I was being easy with that task, buggers are in there ant eh glass is slick) gently replaced with the GTR LEDs and replaced the assembly in the truck.

School can be expensive...

Bob_Wiley, Pinay and NewImprovedRon like this.
  23. Jan 22, 2020 at 4:24 AM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    A good trick is get a strip of duct tape or packing tape and tape it onto the bulb when it’s cold leaving a little tail of tape sticking off the bulb. Then use the tape to pull on and it’ll pull the bulb out! Super easy for fat fingers like mine.

TundraLuv likes this.
  24. Jan 22, 2020 at 4:27 AM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    The tape should be creased in the center so it looks like a V. The open end of the V will contact the bulbs on both side. Bulb should only enter V halfway as your going to use the other half as a handle. Once it’s positioned squeeze both sticky sides of tape together and pull the tape!

TundraLuv likes this.
  25. Jan 22, 2020 at 4:32 AM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    I think about buying these but I replaced all led so I’m hoping not to pull an auto bulb for like ten years or so!

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  26. Jan 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    Worriedman50

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    I have three buds who have purchased Tundras, I am usually the test case, then when I screw it up and then figure out the fix/correct way to do a thing, they show up and we get theirs done easily. Three children with vehicles, and I am the only one who owns a tool...

I think I will put this in my box

27. Jan 22, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    Worriedman50

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    So, getting ready to add LEDs in the dome light in the back seat of my Crew Max, any special warnings, I do not want to have to buy a new roof for my truck if I mess that up...

28. Jan 22, 2020 at 10:51 AM
    Worriedman50

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Crewmax
    Thanks! getting the orientation for an old fat guy with bad eyes is the hard part...

Bob_Wiley and NewImprovedRon like this.
  29. Feb 11, 2020 at 11:23 PM
    Bob_Wiley

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I just installed my interior LEDs, thanks to this thread (and others) I was able to pull down the overhead console and install the map lights with no problems. That’s why I love this forum — knowledgeable people who help each other and share what they learned from their mistakes. I went all red since my truck is all black (my kids refer to it as the “Kyle Ren” truck). I think it looks pretty cool.

upload_2020-2-12_0-21-45.jpg
    upload_2020-2-12_0-21-57.jpg

Wvmoonshiner, Black@Blue19 and Pinay like this.
  30. Feb 12, 2020 at 2:33 AM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    This^^ I got the Fyre Flys kit from Amazon as well. Very happy with them. They put out alot of light.

Products Discussed in

To Top