1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Duhockeys 08 Limited Crewmax

Discussion in '2nd Gen Builds (2007-2013)' started by Duhockey, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Aug 3, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    Duhockey

Duhockey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Limited
    BSD lift, Tough Country Deluxe bumper, compustar remote start/security, rino lining, XD wheels,
    So bought her from the dealer here in Idaho a few days after we moved from CO. Bought her July 4th. Happy 4th to me.

The exhaust was extremely loud and got old real quick. I checked to see what kind of muffler it had and found it didnt have one at all. Well, that wont work for Idaho, and especially when I take it to CO and CA on trips. So I went to Boise Muffler (great guys there) and we chatted a bit. I have always loved Flowmaster so I went with the 70 series. Sounds great!
    I also noticed that the gas mileage and power improved dramatically after putting the Flowmaster on there. FYI, your exhaust needs some backflow pressure to operate properly. You can kill your high end power with muffler deletes :)

Next, I ordered a K&N cold air intake

Im not a big fan of the XD wheels.

And these aren't the quietest tires either.

I'm planning on towing as well so I either need to just replace these 35s with 33's... or at least have a 2nd set of tires and wheels for towing.

I found these on Facebook for 320$

I don't want the chrome part though. with the Rhino lining on the fenders, I need to keep with the matte black on the wheel. But I also want to add an accent color. On my 96 4runner I accented with red on all the armor etc. This time I want to use Kelly Green. Its the Oakland A's alternate color. So I just had the wheels powder coated and will probably paint the Toyota logos that kelly green.

Im thinking of seeing how Toyo Open Country MT 33's look on these new wheels. Or I heard the Falken Wildpeaks are pretty quiet too.

If the 33's don't look too bad then Ill stick with them and just sell the XDs and 35 tires that are on it right now.

Ill also paint the BDS skid plate and a few other small pieces in the kelly green to go with the toyota logos.

Right now though getting the gas mileage a bit better for towing is a priority.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. Aug 3, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    Leo's first

Leo's first TRUCK GANG

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Groton ma
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM Pyrite Mica
    That’s a sweet 2nd gen. Do you know what it has for a lift ?
    Welcome from MA

3. Aug 3, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    hitech

hitech New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    SOMD
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM TRD OR Limited
    Nice 08, never thought I'd like the bed liner coating on the fenders or lower body but yours looks really good. 33's will still probably look good with your lift and you may get some of your MPG back.

4. Aug 3, 2020 at 6:25 PM
    Duhockey

Duhockey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Limited
    BSD lift, Tough Country Deluxe bumper, compustar remote start/security, rino lining, XD wheels,
    Its a BDS lift... still trying to figure out how big it is... I think it might be a 4.5? It has the BDS skid plate which only comes with the 4.5 and the 7". I posted in the lift measurement thread but havent gotten any luck yet: https://www.tundras.com/threads/sus...nts-with-visual-guide.354/page-2#post-1849003

If I knew what a stock 2008 height was from middle of the hub to fender I could get a better idea..

Leo's first[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 5, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    Duhockey

Duhockey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Limited
    So, did a few things with the Tundra in the last few months. First, took the powder coated wheels and put some Cooper ST 33's on.

6. Oct 5, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    Duhockey

Duhockey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Limited
    Then, was debating on getting an ARE or another hardtopper for the back. My wife told me to look into the Soft toppers. Glad I did. Love it. Super helpful to be able to just fold the thing up and have the entire truck bed usable if needed.

Also, you can roll up the back window of the soft topper, remove the front window of the soft topper and then roll down the Tundra rear glass and still get some of the "open air" feel of the Tundra that we all love.

7. Oct 5, 2020 at 2:49 PM
    Duhockey

Duhockey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Limited
    Then we bought a trailer, so I wanted some bigger mirrors. Also one of the stock mirrors was getting bad, it was like the sun destroyed some of the reflective stuff on it and it was all discolored. So I got some advice to look at 1aauto and bought these towing mirrors.

Before...

After..

Love em. They are telescoping and have a great reflection. Like the LED turns on the end as well.

Filthyphil likes this.
  8. Oct 5, 2020 at 3:08 PM
    Duhockey

Duhockey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Limited
    Next up...

replacing the Tough Country Deluxe bumper with this one:
    http://addictedoffroad.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_5&products_id=19

Then adding a JBL Sub back into the sound system and replacing the deck. Whoever owned this before put a crap JVC deck in and took out the factory sub and had another sub in that they took with them. also left me with a remote start and no starter... nice of them

9. Oct 17, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    tundraatx

tundraatx 2008 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L
    1) Bought with 225k miles on it, a Westin bullnose bumper, and OEM tundra steps 2) Current Mileage 238k Mods: 1) Dirty Deeds BA Mufflers 8 inch with resonator (as of Feb 2021) - Had the 10 inch with resonator - Prefer the 10 inch without resonator - deeper sound hear it more in the cab 2.) Ranch Hand Summit Front Bumper/Guard 3) Ranch Hand Summit Bumper 4) Billstein 5100s all around 5) TRD front and rear sway bars 6.) Rough Country wheel to wheel steps 7) Pioneer 8400 NEX Wireless ApplePlay 8) Backup Camera: e-raptor 9) LED white lights replaced in headlights, fog lights, inside cabin, and exterior lights 10) Linex (unbranded by Central Texas Truck Coatings) 11) OEM Toyota side panels and generic panel on tailgate Maintenance/Repairs: 1) Valve covers, belt tensioner, alternator belt - $415 2) Evaporation fuel canister and filter replacment $1547 *This was a Toyota TSB for 07-08 AFAIK. Toyota covered in first 3 years of ownership. Mine failed after 13 years of daily regular driving use. Not bad at all. 3) Pioneer Unit - had to ship to Pioneer to replace Output IC - $45 (shipping) free under 1 year warranty fix 4) Pioneer Unit - Electrical feed back coming through speakers when accelerating. Fix was to check all wiring/tighten up/ make connections good again $42. 5.) Rear passenger door actuator replaced. Part was $287 with tax on ebay from Toyota dealer free shipping. 6.) Rack and Pinion, tow mirrors, shocks install, lifetime alignment - $1884.36
    Are you looking to sell your Tough Country Deluxe Bumper/Grill? I'm located in Texas.

10. Oct 22, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    Duhockey

Duhockey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Limited
    I am! Ill send you a PM...

Products Discussed in

To Top