1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual swing bumper regrets?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by denali302, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Oct 5, 2021 at 12:11 PM
    denali302

denali302 [OP] Meh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crew Max
    Anyone pony up the $$ for a dual swing bumper and regret it? Overall length change, tailgate access? Daily driver pains? Thanks.

2. Oct 5, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    Dual vs single or dual vs zero?
    I went with a single swing out mainly so im not fiddling with two gates to open to try and open my tailgate. You will also loose semi side access if your trying to get to the bed for things.
    The one thing I don’t like about my single, it is rather long and always comes super close to the trailer if im towing one

Wallygator likes this.
  3. Oct 5, 2021 at 4:16 PM
    CallsignKodiak

CallsignKodiak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    What in tarnation....?

Black Wolf, WILLINH and gosolo like this.
  4. Oct 5, 2021 at 4:26 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I have looked at those. I would strongly suggest that you look at the impact on adding cantilevered weight far behind your rear axle and the impact on departure angle. For myself, I decided not to go there, after looking into it.

5. Oct 5, 2021 at 4:27 PM
    FrenchToasty

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    None
    Hi clearance baby! D1709DB0-DA6A-4F6E-AC95-F71FD3CF3D2D.jpg

6. Oct 5, 2021 at 4:36 PM
    denali302

denali302 [OP] Meh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crew Max
    @FrenchToasty - that looks great.

I'm not too worried about the angle. The little lift and taller tires I have should be plenty for where I'm going. I do want to have better access to my rear tire and I want to put trash out there - plus I want a place to store a propane bottle. I sleep in the bed of the truck, so I'd rather have it outside.

@gosolo I hadn't thought about cantilevered weight, but I guess its something to think about... how different is that than a trailer on a hitch?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    FrenchToasty and 2mchfun like this.
  7. Oct 6, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    The big difference is that the weight of the bumper is there always, but the weight of the trailer is only while being hitched up.

8. Oct 6, 2021 at 10:05 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    Good point.
    Although, the trucks typically ride better with some weight in the bed, so maybe this will help to soften the ride, assuming the lift/suspension can accommodate it without having a sagging rear end.

gosolo[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 6, 2021 at 10:13 AM
    stephendo

stephendo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab Engine 5.7L Engine VF Tuner / OVTune CORSA Cat-Back Exhaust System w/ Muffler Delete TRD Air Intake Transfer Flow 46 Gallon Midship Fuel Tank Transmission 5.29 Nitro Gears Front & Rear ARB Front Locker ARB Rear Locker Wheels/Tires Volk TE37XT 18x9.5 +0 Nitto Mud Grappler MT 37x13.5 R18 Monster Lugs Neo Chrome Lug Nuts Suspension Bilstein B8 8125 Coilovers w/ Eibach ERO Coil Springs & External Reservoirs ReadyLift 6" Lift Kit w/ custom front coilovers & rear shocks SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms Icon V.S. 2.5 PB Series Rear Shocks w/ External Reservoirs Icon Multi-Rate RXT Leaf Spring with Add-In Leaf Coachbuilder +3" Shackle Kit Coachbuilder Carrier Bearing Drop Kit Exterior/Armor C4 Fabrication Overland Front Bumper Expedition One Rear Dual Swingout Bumper TRD Pro Grill RCI Transmission Skid RCI Differential Cover Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI Rock Sliders PP Engineering Rear Shock Skids Rack System RCI 12" Adjustable Bed Rack Roof Rack - Yakima SkyLine Track System w/ JetStream Bars Yakima HiLift Jack Mount w/ 60" HiLift Jack Max Trax Mounts w/ 4 Maxtrax iKamper Skycamp 2.0 Rooftop Tent 23zero Peregrine 180 Degree Awning 23zero Peregrine Shower Enclosure Audio Sound System Kenwood DMX Audio Deck Kicker component sound system w/ Kicker Key Amp 2 x 10" Kicker Subwoofers w/ Custom Sub Enclosure Kicker Mono Amp PAC SWI-RC - Steering wheel controller Lighting HID Headlights SPODS Aux Switch Panel Baja Designs Squadron Sport Ditch Flood Lights w/ Victory 4x4 Ditch Light Brackets Baja Designs Squadron Sport Driving/Fog Lights Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport Rear Bumper Spot Lights LED Interior Lights Misc ARB Twin Air Compressor Warn VR12-S Evo Winch Bakflip Tonneau Cover LineX Bedliner Kenwood Dual Dash Cam Front Bumper Camera Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners AVS Low Profile Window Visor Remote Start & Alarm System WeBoost Drive Reach OTR Interior LED Conversion Roadwire Leather seat conversion w/ added heated front seats Window Tint
    I have the Expedition dual swing rear bumper and having the truck as my daily, it is a pain in the ass but I do love it! It's not convenient to just toss things in the truck bed anymore like I used to when grocery shopping etc and also reverse parking, I can't open the tailgate as well if there's a wall or car behind me.

Picture for reference:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CIWQqMhgg2d/

10. Oct 6, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    clarkritchie

clarkritchie New Member

Member:
    I once spent a king's ransom on a swing-away rear tire carrier on a Land Rover. I found a matching spare wheel on eBay, paid good money to have it shipped, cleaned up, and powder coated. I purchased a matching full-size tire, TPMS sensor and factory matching lug nuts.

But about a week after getting it all buttoned up, I concluded that I fully just hated the whole setup. It interfered with my backup sensors so it beeped whenever I was in reverse, and there was no solution for that. I had to use a 12" extension to clear the tire with anything like a hitch mount bike rack. Visibility was impacted. The tire itself interfered with my trailer's power tongue jack, so there was a wonky workaround when towing. Just getting into the back of the truck was a total PITA, especially if you have anything in your hands. I can't remember if I had TPMS issues when rotating tires, seems like that would be par for the course. And when that bike rack was down, that extra foot made parking all that more of a hassle. Oh and my bike rack bounced a lot more, too.

Granted, this was on a Land Rover, not a Tundra, so it had a hatch style read end. But I am embarrassed to admit how much of a hassle I found it to be overall -- especially considering what I dumped into the project. To each his own, but I would recommend you go meditate on how you really use the back of your truck before you pull the trigger.

I did look great, however. :rofl:

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    panicman, 2mchfun and Sunnier like this.
  11. Oct 6, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Maybe just fab a hitch mount carrier for the propane bottle or sit it on the ground. A hitch basket cargo carrier may also work for your needs on a periodic basis.

Wallygator and Sunnier like this.
  12. Oct 6, 2021 at 2:52 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Mostly ^ this.

Caveat: I have never put this kind of set-up on my truck. It’s an agreement I made with @papasmurf when he built mine, because that kind of weight doesn’t do anything good barreling trough the desert and over whoops at speed. But if you don’t drive like a maniac, maybe you’ll be good with the weight.

A guy I’ve seen with such a set-up that gets up some decent speed (I’ve never seen high speed + whoops though) is @Porschetech29 and his is his daily, and
    he never seems to hesitate to open and close it. Maybe if these guys have minutes to spare, they’ll chime in some time with their significant real world experience.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    gosolo[QUOTED] and FrenchToasty like this.
  13. Oct 6, 2021 at 4:34 PM
    clarkritchie

clarkritchie New Member

Member:
    Thought of one more gripe: I couldn't open my tailgate when hitched up to my trailer as there was not enough clearance for the tire to swing out due to the tongue jack, or for the rear window to swing up. So on camping trips, nobody could get in/out of the back of the SUV at all until we were set up at camp and I was un-hitched. That situation never once occurred to me beforehand, and it alone drove me bananas. But damn, I did look good!

Saltyhero13 and Sunnier like this.
  14. Oct 6, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Maybe a solution....hitch mounted swing out. Can take it off when not needed. Can also hang it on back of a trailer when needed but towing.

15. Oct 6, 2021 at 5:35 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Wouldn’t this be a whole lot of cantilevered weight all secured in one spot? I dunno….

16. Oct 6, 2021 at 5:40 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Trailer tongue is easily 700-1100

17. Oct 6, 2021 at 5:44 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Swing out 300 tire 100 propane 40 fuel 50 what else? 500 lbs, no worries, 700 easy to carry.

18. Oct 6, 2021 at 5:49 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    I have carried a 700lb riding mower on my custom 250lb monster hitch basket many of times. Just not fun to hitch up the giant heavy basket!

clarkritchie likes this.
  19. Oct 6, 2021 at 7:26 PM
    GreatBasinTundra

GreatBasinTundra Beer Me!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 DC
    Kings f/r, TC UCAs, RCI skids, RCI sliders, C4 bumpers f/r, Warn 12s winch, 35s on 17” Rebounds, softopper, wet okole covers
    I had a dual swing out rear bumper on my Tacoma. From an off road aspect it was awesome. Increased ground clearance under the truck, better departure angles and tire was easily accessible. From a daily driver aspect it was a hassle for the same reasons others have mentioned. Can’t leave the tailgate down for long items, bed access when towing (mostly an issue with single swing outs), lose the ability to use a tailgate pad for bikes and racks stick out even farther. The other thing to consider if you tow is whether or not the high clearance receiver is rated for what you need (if removing the factory receiver).

edit: it was enough of a hassle that I will not put another swing out bumper on a daily driver.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  20. Oct 6, 2021 at 7:29 PM
    GreatBasinTundra

GreatBasinTundra Beer Me!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 DC
    Kings f/r, TC UCAs, RCI skids, RCI sliders, C4 bumpers f/r, Warn 12s winch, 35s on 17” Rebounds, softopper, wet okole covers
    this is always an option if you want the ability to remove it and only use when needed
    upload_2021-10-6_19-28-13.jpg

Wallygator, diablodalton and 2mchfun like this.
  21. Oct 6, 2021 at 8:00 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    This is exactly what I stated above, seems like it would also be easier to sell at some point since it is not vehicle specific. I'd say add a propane tank mount ($25) and you will have your setup. Negative is, moving the spare tire back and forth, kinda a headache.

Wallygator likes this.
  22. Oct 6, 2021 at 8:19 PM
    cowboyjack

cowboyjack New Member

Member:
    @FrenchToasty, where did you get that bumper?

thanks!

FrenchToasty[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Oct 6, 2021 at 8:36 PM
    FrenchToasty

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    None
    It’s a weld yourself kit from coastal off-road out of Canada
    Northwest trail innovation has another kit as well; I just looked at their front bumper for a DC 1stgen, and it is hideous!!!

24. Oct 7, 2021 at 2:00 PM
    denali302

denali302 [OP] Meh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crew Max
    Thanks. All things I was worried about… hitch mount would be ideal, but then need to figure out how carry the bikes. That Wilco tire carrier looks like it might also have a 2” receiver hitch
    I sold my trailer so we can just sleep out of the truck. I’m going for simplicity. That said, I don’t see the bed getting used much for moving stuff around. I pulled the rear seats out and build a platform. I can store a boatload back there now.
    More to think about I guess.
    Thanks for all the input.

2mchfun likes this.
  25. Oct 7, 2021 at 2:21 PM
    2mchfun

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    There are adapters that make two receivers out of one so a person can have a hitch and bike carrier at the same time.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  26. Oct 7, 2021 at 2:58 PM
    denali302

denali302 [OP] Meh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crew Max
    Yeah - that Wilco hitch max is probably the answer. Thanks a ton!

2mchfun likes this.
  27. Nov 17, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    wexttxco

wexttxco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 DC 4x4
    Fox 2.5 RR, 35x12.5r18 x3 on method 701, armor, front bumper
    Bumpity

28. Nov 18, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    diablodalton

diablodalton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Platinum MGM
    8" Ready Lift, SPC UCA's., Bilstein B8 8125, Amp Steps, 37/12.5R 20 Cooper STT PRO, On order: Valhalla Armor, Dirty Deeds Exhaust
    I had the Expedition One (quality and design were 5 stars) swing outs on my Taco and Tundra. I loved and hated them. The Tundra was a bit of a drag because I had to get a motorcycle hitch carrier with an extension, etc. They are super convenient when hauling extra fuel and storing your oversized tire BUT not so much when needing to get in and out of your tailgate/bed of the truck. You also lose the ability to throw longer things in the bed and run with the tailgate down if needed. I like the idea of a quick removal of the swing out... my only concern with that is how far it will stick out behind the tailgate... I saw one on a Tacoma and it looked like it was almost a foot and then add the 35 or 37" tire to that and she is sticking out pretty good at that point. (more of an aesthetics issue vs. function).

29. Nov 18, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    Fergie

Fergie New Member

Member:
    I went w the RIGD swing out and leave it on full time. Camera is a little obscured, but not terribly so. I only use it to haul the Kuat 4 bike rack and bikes for me and the kids....maxes out the 250# rating. Went w RIGD as the hitch portion is still rated at 10k pounds for towing.

Wallygator and diablodalton like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top