1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DRL issue

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Tundrabuild, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Jun 11, 2021 at 5:31 PM
    Tundrabuild

Tundrabuild [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra
    A lot
    Hey y'all,
    I have spent days to try to figure out this issue and I made some progress but not a solution.
    So... I have a 2017 tundra and decided to put the 2018 DRL OEM headlights on. Those work perfectly fine but my issue is is I got the WinJet DRL tail lights. When I put my blinker on with my headlights off both of the DRL's on my tail lights flash so it looks like my hazards are on along with my ac control interior lights flashing with the blinker.
    I did some digging and unpinning on my brake lights, disconnected my brake lights DRL's and the issue still happens where the ac controls flash.
    So where I am at is I watched the install video to refresh my head on the install of the headlights and I forgot during the install the guy said to change the pinned wires on the blinker plug. I did that, could that be the issue and the wiring harness between the headlights and tail lights are now out of wack causing the tail lights to not work right?

2. Jun 11, 2021 at 6:48 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    iHacker likes this.
  3. Jun 12, 2021 at 11:41 AM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights, 2019 TRD PRO Rigid LED Fog lights, All LED Interior, LED Cargo Lights, Bed LED Lights, Undercover Flex, Husky Weather beater floormats, FORTIN EVO ONE remote start, TDR Cold Air Intake, Tundra tail gate inserts, Pop & Lock...
    What harness have you used to install the 2018+ LED headlights?

4. Jun 12, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights, 2019 TRD PRO Rigid LED Fog lights, All LED Interior, LED Cargo Lights, Bed LED Lights, Undercover Flex, Husky Weather beater floormats, FORTIN EVO ONE remote start, TDR Cold Air Intake, Tundra tail gate inserts, Pop & Lock...
    I recommend you to inspect the front blinker plug, if you flipped the wires as some harness are required to do this will cause problems with dash and tail lights

5. Jun 12, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    Tundrabuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra
    A lot
    I used the plug and play harness that the 2018+ DRL lights came with. But since my truck didn’t come pre LED wired they made me switch the plug prongs so it still worked. My stock blinkers worked fine but with the LED DRL tail lights I have now they aren’t working right

6. Jun 13, 2021 at 9:04 AM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    Ok, I recommend you to flip the wires back to its original position in the turn signal plug but don’t use the violet wire just cover it with electrical tape and this should work to fix your problem.

Not using the violet wire leave a empty hole in the turn signal plug I recommend you to seal the hole with some silicone to keep water from getting into it and mess with the other wires in use.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Ely010606 likes this.
  7. Jun 13, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    Tundrabuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra
    A lot
    Ok sweet I’ll give that a try! Thanks a lot

8. Jun 13, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    Tundrabuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra
    A lot
    @iHacker I can't thank you enough man! I finally got to working on it and it worked! I've been messing and tinkering with these damn tail lights for almost a year trying to figure it out. I took it to 2 shops and they couldn't figure it out either. I owe you a beer or something!
    After watching the headlight install video again I noticed he said, "if you have a 2 pin plug only switch the ground, but if you have a 3 pin switch the purple and ground." I'll be shooting them a call to let them know to post and update to keep the purple wire unplugged so nobody else runs into this issue. Thanks again! First time posting a question on the tundra forum and I don't regret it.

Ely010606 and iHacker like this.
  9. Jun 13, 2021 at 12:59 PM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    Seems like they never cared to clarify this point and the issue has been there since 2018 their instructions only apply for trucks with the single LED strip equipped models (old Platinum/1794 and now the same for 2018+ SR5 trucks with halogen headlights) NOT FOR MODELS WITH AMBER DRL.

I’m glad you have everything working now, and the problem isn’t due to the taillights you got is because their harness isn’t complete and is missing an important part to avoid issues like this.

Have a nice day buddy

:cheers:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Ely010606 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top