1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving down hwy and it dies

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Valler, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Dec 31, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    Daily driven 2000 toyota tundra
    16in M/T wheels with a 305 70 r16 tire 3in space lift front add a leaf in rear Led headlights upgrade OEM fog light delete replaced with 7in light bars in OEM locations Led interior lights and tag lights and cargo lights also Kenwood double din head unit self powered subwoofer under driver's seat
    I was driving down the hwy around 55 to 60 yesterday after doing some shopping stopped at 2 stores truck turned on good and everything, well while I'm driving the truck turns off looses all power still had instrument lights on and everything just engine has no power will turn over and try to crank but wont start. So had it towed to my sisters house since it was closer to tow and cheaper also,

Any idea I should start looking into before I have a mechanic check on it,

Truck would struggle to turn on in cold weather like below 30 degrees Fahrenheit but would start good in temperature above 30, also at night the interior dash and dome lights would brighten up if I was in park a d would accelerate a little or would flicker to the rhythm of the blinker light,

Last night went to go get some tools for work and tried to crank it and it's like low on juice barely wants to crank or turn over but it would try to crank much harder before when It first died on me,

My guess is the alternator still had enough power to try harder before and it was like 6 hrs later I went to try to crank it and it was weaker,

Any ideas of what it could be anything would help guys thanks

2. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:12 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Did you already rule out the alternator as the cause?

OR18TRD and Valler[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:12 AM
    Adriver71x

Adriver71x New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5
    Tow Mirrors
    Try a battery

OR18TRD, 15whtrd and Valler[OP] like this.
  4. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:13 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Battery, alternator, fuel pump. In that order.

5. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    16in M/T wheels with a 305 70 r16 tire 3in space lift front add a leaf in rear Led headlights upgrade OEM fog light delete replaced with 7in light bars in OEM locations Led interior lights and tag lights and cargo lights also Kenwood double din head unit self powered subwoofer under driver's seat
    Going to get the tested and check today after i get off work to be sure it's either one of those wishing on that it's either one, and nothing major

OR18TRD and Watt maker like this.
  6. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:19 AM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    How would I check the fuel pump? I had pumped gas like 15 min before it happened, I went to kroger and put gas then went to petsmart and left petsmart fine turned in good and went to leave and on hwy it just quit

7. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:23 AM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    If the alternator was bad the battery would be completely dead when it shut off on you wouldn't it?

Its turning over weaker now because of all the start attempts and that's draining the battery.

When you try to crank it is it trying to fire or is it just spinning? Like its starved for fuel?

Filthyphil and 15whtrd like this.
  8. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    No codes coming up?

OR18TRD and NewImprovedRon like this.
  9. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Quick way to see it's running is you have someone turn the key to the on/not start position and stick your head by the fuel tank and see if you can hear it running.

More involved is to get a pressure tester and check for correct pressure at the fuel rail.

15whtrd likes this.
  10. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I find it a little curious that you had just filled up with fuel before it happened. Possible bad fuel? I wonder if the fuel evap charcoal canister is somehow causing this. Do you top off when you fill up?

11. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:40 AM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    I usually top it off til it fills up, when I bought the truck the low fuel light was always on and like 3 times since I owned the tru k and the tank will be full the fuel gauge will slowly lower itself to low or halfway and then regulate its self back to full

12. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:42 AM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    Only codes before that was the one for either the o2 sensor or the cats and my mechanic. Erased them and came back and said it could either be full cats or the o2 sensor or reading bad because of the headers on the truck

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:42 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I have just heard it’s bad to completely top off the fuel neck. Once the pump shuts off, that’s as much gas that is going in my truck. It’s bad practice to keep squeezing in every drop. It can damage the charcoal canister.

It almost sounds like they were one of those people that would only throw 20 bucks in instead of filling up. Over time it seems that can cause the fuel Gage to act up. At least that’s my experience.

OR18TRD and rebmo like this.
  14. Dec 31, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    tbrown

tbrown 2017 CM FFV

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Blazing Blue
    Magnuson Supercharger Kooks long tube headers King 3.0 remote reservoir w/ clockers front King 3.0 triple bypass remote reservoir rear Deaver Custom leaf Method 312 Corsa Exhaust w/ custom stainless bro’s resonator tip Custom HP tune Viair 400c Dual Onboard Headlight Revolution Stealth Bar Baja design XL 80 ditch lights on SDHQ Ditch brackets Victory 4x4 sliders and bed Molle RCI Skids C4 fabrication overland front bumper Smittybilt x2o 12k winch Toyo Open Country RT 37’s Icon Billet Delta UCA’s Nitro 5.29’s ARB Air locker front and rear Switch Pros Leitner Designs Bed Rack ICS Fab Dash Mount Expedition One Dual Swing Rear Bumper Viper remote start Rosen in headrest DVD players
    I had a Grand Prix years ago that would do this, I would have to shift into neutral going 70, start it back up, then shift into gear, it ended up being an O2 sensor. May not have anything to do with your issue but may be worth checking. No codes?

Edit: just saw your update, replace O2 and see if that fixes issue, it did for me back then

15. Jan 1, 2019 at 8:13 PM
    Filthyphil

Filthyphil Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tundra TRD 4.7
    Ever figure it out?

16. Jan 2, 2019 at 4:51 PM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    Its at the shop right now, mechanic called and said looks like the timing belt slipped or something caused it to move and slip but hes still working on it said could be a crankshaft sensor, i will update once i know more or gets fixed

17. Jan 3, 2019 at 8:12 AM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    Whats a reasonable price to pay for a complete timing belt kit to be changed? I just want to see for when my mechanic gives me a price

Filthyphil likes this.
  18. Jan 3, 2019 at 8:34 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Depends on labor rates in your area.
    My mechanic charged $400 in labor for me providing parts (about $300) and coolant. Dealer quoted me $1100.

OR18TRD and 15whtrd like this.
  19. Jan 3, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    The stealership charged me around $950 to do the timing belt and water pump. If you shop around I think you could find a better deal. Some here reported getting the water pump, timing belt, thermostat and one other part(can't remember) done as a package for around $900. Made me feel like an idiot for paying more for less.

20. Jan 3, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Prices around here range from $900-1200 for timing belt and water pump change out. Thats materials and labor. Think I paid around $1100 a few years back.

Next go around at 180k miles I’ll be doing the above plus those bearings, tensioner, and new radiator. Basically, everything in that slot between the grill and engine block. Might even do the alternator as it seems they go bad in the 200k range.

Do it all at one time in my case.

turf and Filthyphil like this.
  21. Jan 3, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    Filthyphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    No more than $700-800 with Aisin parts

Black Wolf likes this.
  22. Jan 3, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    Mechanic told me it will be $500 for the whole kit and labor, apperently my truck was eating the belt somehow so it only had like halfway of the belt going and it stretched so it caused for the truck to cut off on me

Black Wolf and Filthyphil like this.
  23. Jan 3, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Man. I’d love it if those low prices were near my hometown. Hope you get your truck back soon.

Valler[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  24. Jan 3, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:

25. Jan 3, 2019 at 5:59 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Seeing as how it's an interference engine I'm really surprised nothing was damaged due to that belt issue. Sounds like it just off as a safety precaution possibly. That's good news at least. Had the timing belt never been changed? They are required every 90k but many have gone well into the 100's on the original belt.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  26. Jan 3, 2019 at 6:27 PM
    Filthyphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    They are interference engines, when my girlfriends snapped leaving the grocery store the Toyota mechanic said he’s never seen a belt break and actually cause the valves to slap. But he said he has heard of it happening if your accelerating hard when it breaks

FirstGenVol[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Jan 3, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    Guess i was lucky nothing else was damage knock on wood, i mean the truck has 171k but mechanic said it looks like someone else did work to the engine and stuff seemed out of place, and the the gears/pulleys for the timing belt were all bent and crap

28. Jan 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    Valler

Valler [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    Tomorrow when i go pick it up ill see if he has the old belt he took off and ill try to post pictures

29. Jan 4, 2019 at 4:03 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Thanks. My phone turned interference into interface.

So apparently having a timing belt snap on these engines may not always be catastrophic. That's good to know. I'm still not brave enough to go past 90k.

30. Jan 5, 2019 at 5:33 AM
    zombie

zombie Master at Something

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black DC 4x4
    So the odd thing is...if your belt was getting chewed up you would of heard some kind of noise prior to all of this, and further more, what is the definitive cause? If he doesn't know, then how do you know it wont happen again? Like did the last idiot put the guide shield on the lower pulley on backwards, was the tension pulley the fault, a bearing??? Of course I'm sure all is well and he gave you a guarantee.

Products Discussed in

To Top