1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drill Hog bits

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Haulmode, May 9, 2022.

1. May 9, 2022 at 12:02 PM
    Haulmode

Haulmode [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 Cement
    Bilstein 5100, Falken Wildpeak 285/75r18, Demello Rock Crushers, Tech12Volts Sound
    When I was looking for drill bits to install my Demello rock sliders, I came across this set of step bits from Drill Hog, which made short work of drilling 1/2" holes into the frame. I just punched a center divot, and these bits drilled through that frame in less than 30 seconds. I got off center holding the drill and snapped one of the bits, which Drill Hog promptly replaced, given their lifetime warranty. Great product; great company.

Sumo91 and texasrho83 like this.
  2. May 9, 2022 at 12:04 PM
    Taco-Spike

Taco-Spike Gateway from Tacoma World ~ ended up here

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Nice. I always find a use for step bits

Haulmode[OP] likes this.
  3. May 9, 2022 at 12:15 PM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    The junk ones at Harbor Freight aren't that bad either. Keep that cutting edge cool and they do well. Can't beat a step bit for plastic work.

Haulmode[OP] likes this.
  4. May 9, 2022 at 3:56 PM
    Haulmode

Haulmode [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 Cement
    Bilstein 5100, Falken Wildpeak 285/75r18, Demello Rock Crushers, Tech12Volts Sound
    Looks like HF has a comparable "Hercules" set that's $4 cheaper - wonder if those are warrantied? Seems like it's easy enough to return items to HF, but I consider their stuff disposable. :)

5. May 9, 2022 at 4:14 PM
    huntertn

huntertn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2008 White CrewMax Limited 4x4
    I use the cheapest HF ones and they work pretty good with lube. We drill a lot of 1/2” holes off site over water and started out using twist drill which would try and break your wrist. The step drill was so much easier on the operator. We have thought about buying some nicer bits but with the number that end up at the bottom of the lake it is hard to stop using the HF ones that cost is about $4.

6. May 9, 2022 at 4:21 PM
    Haulmode

Haulmode [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 Cement
    Are you drilling through 1/4" plate? I tried some other cobalt bits - low speed, with oil, and never seemed to get too far. Maybe they were too dull...

7. May 9, 2022 at 4:25 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    I’ll give them a shot, we drill all kinds of holes at work.

Haulmode[OP] likes this.
  8. May 9, 2022 at 6:03 PM
    huntertn

huntertn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2008 White CrewMax Limited 4x4
    Most of the time it is 1/8” galvanized steel. We do occasionally need to drill 1/4”. Sometimes aluminum. On steel it makes the step bits last longer if you drill a small Pilot hole the size of the first step of the step bit but we rarely do that. Once you get past the tip of the step bit it goes quick. We are usually drilling 1/2” holes with a hand drill. No mag drill or press.

We started using good traditional twist drills at first. We tried different brands and never came up with something we liked. They would need need to be sharpened or replaced very frequently. When we switched to step bits there was no going back. I have been thinking about trying a better brand just to see if there is a difference but have not pulled the trigger yet.

I had used step bits in the past on thinner metal and tried it on this out of curiosity. For us they work great.

Haulmode[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
To Top