1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dreaded Dome Light Issues

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by av8tor, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Aug 9, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    av8tor

av8tor [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum Tundra
    I had the footwell light blow a fuse because the prongs were jacked up and I stupidly twisted it in the socket, bam... I switched all interior lights to led's didn't mess with the footwell again. All lights worked fine after replacing the blown fuse and just the other day I heard a faint pop while driving and noticed when I got home the domes didn't come on when I turned off the truck or opened the door. Domes work with switch in on position, just not in door position. Also, the cargo light is only working in on position. I am wondering if I jacked up the switches somehow or if there is a relay that went bad. I was on this thread https://www.tundras.com/threads/3rd...n-when-any-door-is-opened.44940/#post-1323643 and saw the inspection procedure for the cargo light switch. Does anyone have the inspection procedure writeup for the dome light switch?

Also, does anyone have any insight as to what else to check? I've checked all fuses and they're good. Also confirmed the door switches work because the truck displays when each door is open on the dash. Also, chime works when the key is left in, turned off, and the drive door open.

I'm at a loss... I greatly appreciate any help!

2. Aug 9, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Post 23 and 27 https://www.tundras.com/threads/interrior-dome-lights.27152/

However, you seem to have a problem with the Cargo switch too that I don't so hopefully it's not the ECU/BCM and something easily universal. To answer the other thread, no, I couldn't find the Dome inspection procedure. I can't remember if it was a multimeter I used or moving the Cargo wires to the Dome switch and determined the switch was working properly.

Good luck

3. Aug 9, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I think I would get to the footwell light and unplug it from the wires if possible. See if everything works normally when that one is out of the loop. Maybe it’s possible the contacts are just fried and welded together completing the circuit.

JMB likes this.
  4. Aug 10, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    av8tor

av8tor [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum Tundra
    Thank you. I saw that post too and was hoping that I’d find it’s not the bcm and maybe just a switch. Damn expensive mistake on my part if it is the bcm.

5. Aug 10, 2019 at 8:36 AM
    av8tor

av8tor [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum Tundra
    Pulled the bulb out and never reinstalled it after it blew. Do you mean to remove the footwell light wiring altogether or just the bulb? Hoping it’s not a bcm issue on my part.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 10, 2019 at 8:52 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I mean getting to the back of the light and unplugging the wiring to it. Just thinking the contacts from the leads to the receptacle could be fused together from shorting out.

7. Aug 10, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    av8tor

av8tor [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum Tundra
    That’s what I thought you meant, but wanted to clarify. Thank you!

Looks like I have my work cut out for me this weekend. Ugh...

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Aug 10, 2019 at 8:59 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Good luck man! I hope it turns out to be something simple. I’d hate to think that the computer could be fried just from shorting out a lightbulb. That’s what fuses are for dammit LOL

av8tor[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top