1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drag Race issue

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by swank501, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Nov 7, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    TRD S/C Crewmax window conversion Auburn LSD Custom interior
    made a couple passes in my truck last night. TRD supercharged and recently went with Prospeed fuel kit and HP tuners. First full 1/4 mile runs since then. Both times it cut out at the top of 3rd gear. See video below. Any idea what could cause this or what to do about it?

https://youtu.be/F2XvANlq5Es

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    ColoradoTJ and Wynnded like this.
  2. Nov 7, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Sure sounds like a fueling issue.

What RPM were you at in 3rd? Did you try going to 4th to see what would happen?

3. Nov 7, 2020 at 10:32 AM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    Hope it’s not a fueling issue since I just went full stupid with fuel upgrades. Was in “D” for one run and sport shift for the other. Wouldn’t go in to 4th in either scenario. Wasn’t watching tach, but redline was moved up to 6300 with the tune

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Nov 7, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I would think that fuel would be the logical thing to look at first. I don't know if you have the ability to monitor fuel pressure. You may not be up to this point yet, but it doesn't hurt to check. @ViktorG has a video of his solution at his particular modification level at that stage. I don't know where (RPM) he was encountering issues, but he may be able to get you looking in the right direction...

5. Nov 7, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    What fuel pump are you running ?

6. Nov 7, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    In the past, I have went full stupid with fueling to still fail. What is your fuel pressure when this happens? This is the only way to rule this out IMO.

rockmup likes this.
  7. Nov 7, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    TI auto 450 which is the same as a walbro 450 I believe

8. Nov 7, 2020 at 2:29 PM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    Good question. I’ll have to get creative with that since the gauge is under the hood

9. Nov 7, 2020 at 2:40 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    do you have one of those OBD2 monitors that bluetooth to your phone?

before all the digital age, I would run a long hose and put the gauge on the outside of the hood

Darkness likes this.
  10. Nov 7, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    You have HP Tuners, need to data log what is going on first imo.. I can look through your tune file for anything obvious if you want.

11. Nov 7, 2020 at 4:16 PM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    Update: I went and made a pass with my camera under the hood and got the same result. Definitely an see the fuel pressure drop off when the issue arises. Big question is whether the fuel pump is jacked up or is the computer sending a signal to cut??
    https://youtu.be/F2XvANlq5Es

HulkSmurf14 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  12. Nov 7, 2020 at 4:20 PM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    I am hp tuned, but have no idea how to mess with any of this stuff as I didn’t do it. Is there anything I can send you to see, let me know.

13. Nov 7, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    ViktorG

ViktorG Lexus/Toyota Master Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB
    World's fastest supercharged Tundra - 2010 RCSB - 10.8 @122 - All wheel drive conversion, lowered, supercharged 2008 DCLB - All wheel drive conversion, 13" lift on 37's
    How much fuel is in the tank? If it is anything less than 1/2, you will run into major problems due to the fuel sloshing back in the tank on acceleration and the fuel pump basket being sucked dry by the pump.
    The fuel pump module will never cut your fuel pump off unless your engine stops running.

Warreng, landphil, Sunnier and 2 others like this.
  14. Nov 7, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    Makes sense. Was at 1/4 tank at the track and less when I made the under hood pass earlier. I’ll fill it up and check later.
    Curious as to what the failsafe is when the truck shuts down due to loss of traction or other events where the truck falls on its face?? Surely the ecu is cutting something

15. Nov 7, 2020 at 7:48 PM
    ViktorG

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB
    World's fastest supercharged Tundra - 2010 RCSB - 10.8 @122 - All wheel drive conversion, lowered, supercharged 2008 DCLB - All wheel drive conversion, 13" lift on 37's
    In the case of traction control engagement or maximum speed limit being reached the ECM closes the throttle.
    Your issue is definitely from running extremely lean due to the low fuel level. Don’t launch it with less than half a tank or you may very soon be looking at one of your rods sticking out the side of the block.
    I’m guessing you went and dished out a bunch of money on the Prospeed system? Unfortunately they don’t address the main problem of the location and setup of the fuel pump/basket and instead sell people their fuel rails, which are completely unnecessary since the stock rails can easily flow 1000 hp worth of fuel.

16. Nov 7, 2020 at 8:08 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    The devil is in the details...

ViktorG[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Nov 7, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    So what should someone do instead, victor?

18. Nov 7, 2020 at 8:39 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I posted a video of the surge tank that he installed...

ViktorG likes this.
  19. Nov 7, 2020 at 8:47 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    The truck is black, a common problem with black trucks is they outrun their fuel supply.

ViktorG, Saltyhero13 and Black Wolf like this.
  20. Nov 7, 2020 at 11:24 PM
    ViktorG

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB

One could do a number of different things to remedy this:
    Custom oversized fuel pump basket
    Relocate the pump to the rear of the tank without the stock basket
    Install an external fuel pump that has a pickup at the rear of the tank
    Install an aftermarket syphon system that will keep the basket full even when demand for fuel is high
    Build a surge tank setup
    Replace the factory tank with a fuel cell

21. Nov 8, 2020 at 5:43 AM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    You forgot "Pay Victor an obscene amount of money for his truck"

ForceV4 and ViktorG like this.
  22. Nov 8, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I don't know...he seems to be having a lot of fun with his build as well as having a lot of time and effort invested. But he may still be interested in "obscene". :devil:

ViktorG likes this.
  23. Nov 8, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    You would be correct that I am running the Prospeed kit. They were the first in Houston to do proper tunes on our platform and also one of very few small shops that actually do any real investment in trying to get some innovative solutions out there. When I contacted them to tune my truck, they had done a few at that point and recommended I wait since they were running in to lean conditions and were developing a system to support.
    It does stink that the fuel tank is another source of issue that was not part of this “comprehensive” kit. I don’t have any regrets about buying Prospeed kit and am happy to support shops that support our hobby.
    That said, I am going to take as a lesson learned and make sure I have sufficient fuel next time. I had not really considered that before I ran. I was just thinking it was nice to not have an extra 100# of fuel to lug down the track.
    In the future I will consider making additional upgrades as I would like to see this truck in the low 12’s or even 11’s someday.
    I also wanted to say thanks to you man for doing some cool things and sharing your knowledge with us.

24. Nov 8, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    ViktorG

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB
    I am happy to share my knowledge and real life experience in modifying these trucks.
    In the coming months, I will be removing the entire stock fuel system from the Tundra and testing all of its components to show what the actual flow limitation of it are.
    I certainly don't want you to regret buying their kit, it is in no way detrimental to the operation of your truck.
    I just wish they were honest with people and not spreading misinformation aimed at increasing their sales while not addressing the real concerns with fuel delivery on this platform.

Regarding drag racing, I am excited to see you are getting into it with the truck.
    11's are certainly possible with a few supporting modifications.
    With your current 1/8th mile time, you will be hitting around a 12.7 in the quarter once you fill up the tank :)
    What is your current truck setup as far as mods, tires etc?
    Cheers!

25. Nov 9, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    Current mods are TRD S/C w/URD pulley, ARH Long Tubes/Mids, 3" X-pipe and Kooks 3in-out adapted to TRD tailpipes, level 10 Trans, auburn rear, Prospeed fuel system, and HP dyno tuned. Boost gauge is only showing about 7-8 psi.
    Truck has 185k and 125k on the S/C.
    Stock Suspension w/ homebrew caltracs in the back.
    Stock Tires
    Truck is 4wd so that is typically how i launch or its just a smoke show.

ViktorG[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Nov 9, 2020 at 6:52 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Damn that needle dropped hard! Glad you verified system pressure.

If you do a fuel cell there are tons of options for drag racing.

I was having a similar problem with my rock crawler due to the angles we would often be at. What I did is took the factory FP basket apart, made my own custom pick up lines (some rubber hose attached to SS metal pipe) with Walbro pickups W12/13. The way it was designed the pickup will slide forward and back, each side was the length of the fuel cell. The only time I will run out of fuel now is if empty or upside down.

Wynnded and ViktorG like this.
  27. Nov 9, 2020 at 1:02 PM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    Give Keith Carty a call at 760-877-4234. He races his 2013 Tundra and can probably help you with a few things to improve on.

Thanks, Shawna, DDI

Products Discussed in

To Top