1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door jamb payload sticker from 2.5 gen regular cab 4WD?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Mattedfred, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Jan 2, 2022 at 10:03 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred [OP] Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Thanks very much! I'm annoying myself at this point, but I'm trying. I've approached this issue with the attitude that I must look for a logical reason not to get a Tundra for our next tow vehicle (any Tundra btw). And, just because it's not as simple a process as we'd prefer is not a reason to abandon this process.
    As a multi-Toyota vehicle owner who has had very positive experiences with the vehicles, manufacturer and local dealership's service department and found several reputable sources outlining the above average reliability, I want a Tundra.
    That said, I will only get one if I can make all of the numbers work to my satisfaction.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jan 2, 2022 at 10:29 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    It’s even more annoying when you purchase a truck that doesn’t work for you.

If you want me to hook you up with some of the other guys that have turned in the tundra keys, let me know.
    08481B39-B964-45C9-9DDC-8FBDEEABE211.jpg 67AA39AE-A711-4AA2-B1E6-AAFFC39302BD.jpg B72DC6E9-7212-4748-9242-75E8240650CD.jpg

Hell, some of these guys will pass me on mileage this year with their 2020 trucks…and they work them pretty good.

Mattedfred[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 2, 2022 at 10:48 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I eventually have to scratch the Tundra off the list. Fortunately our tow vehicle doesn't get worked very hard. It's just my daily driver except when we take the trailer out anytime between April and November.

4. Jan 2, 2022 at 11:12 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    If you are doing it with a Tacoma, the Tundra will be a dream.

5. Jan 2, 2022 at 11:16 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I absolutely love the Tacoma except for the size of the fuel tank. I think I'd prefer it to a Tundra for my daily driver and the only reason we'd get rid of it would be if it no longer suited our needs. Unfortunately most of the newer travel trailers we're currently considering wouldn't work with the Tacoma. If we do upgrade to a Tundra, I'd plan to keep it for as long as I possibly can. Would be nice to exceed the 423,000 kms we put on the Echo.

6. Jan 2, 2022 at 11:26 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    it’s a tough decision. Trucks are not cheap. Well, let’s not kid ourselves…nothing is anymore. :rofl:

Toyota does a really great job of testing powertrains out before releasing them to the public. I was gabbing with my district manager yesterday and he has a Kia Stinger. He has had a nightmare with that bi-turbo motor. 4 turbos and a motor. All under 30k miles. He now has a lifetime power train warranty. He was bragging he has gone 1600 miles without a CEL. I was like…

Retired...finally and Terndrerrr like this.
  7. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:10 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Totally understand, but the bigger Tundra fuel tank works against what you’re trying to find because it eats into payload by adding more fuel (and more tank) to the curb weight. The door jamb ratings take a full fuel tank into consideration. My giant 38 gal tank is a small part of why my truck’s rating is so low (1270 lbs)—its 228 lb of fuel in a full tank are added to curb weight. In contrast, the smaller tank carries 26.4 gal or 158.4 lb of fuel. That’s 70 lb of fuel difference, plus the weight of the smaller tank itself and the lack of a fuel tank skid that comes with the off road package, etc.

All that to say, if you find your unicorn bare bones SR Tundra with the smaller fuel tank, it might benefit you to the tune of 100lb or more of payload. Add Jerry cans to your trailer if needed for an added fraction of that in tongue weight.
    Unless Toyota adds a HDPP to the iForce Max trucks—which I really don’t foresee happening—I’ll probably bite the domestic HD truck bullet. That’s a few to several years off. I don’t tow, and I haul a couple hundred pounds over GVWR very occasionally. But I don’t want to worry about it at all the next time around.

8. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Excellent points, and why I'm paying close attention to the payload of the SR and SR5, here in Canada. Even the SR, with it's 98L tank is larger than the 75L tank in our Tacoma. 121L would be nice though!

Terndrerrr likes this.
  9. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Titan Tank Sidekick might be your saving grace @Mattedfred . Use it when needed, remove (or don't fill) when it isn't. This is the route I'm going. 36 gallons is nice, but I have ran close to out a few times. That tow bill sucks.

10. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:40 PM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tip. I'm not familiar, but I'll check it out.

11. Jan 2, 2022 at 12:53 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
  12. Jan 2, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    LOL. Thanks for taking the time anyway!

13. Jan 2, 2022 at 5:47 PM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    It could be worse. I was asking about payload on a low mileage 2018 DC. The salesman called me back and told me his manager said I could just add "helper springs" and not to be concerned with payload. Sounded like some on this thread.

14. Jan 3, 2022 at 5:01 AM
    WXman

WXman New Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 Crew Max 4x4 5.7L
    I don't think it's fair to compare 2022 to 2016-2021. The '22 has a completely new frame, coil springs in the rear, composite materials in the bed instead of steel, and a lot of other changes. Payload numbers should be quite different between the two.

I'm totally on board with a guy wanting to do things the correct way and stay within listed payload specs. Having said that ALL of these 2.5 gen Tundras are apparently overbuilt for the 1/2 ton class. Huge rear axles, large brakes, strong frame, etc. It's no wonder they weight so much. So I would not be concerned at all with using any Tundra you find after simply adding some helper springs to the rear to support the weight (which you'll need to do regardless) and/or a good weight distribution setup. My truck payload is 1240 on the sticker. But if you compare the way my truck handles a large trailer to the way a similar Tundra with a 1800 rating on the sticker handles the same trailer you would find that there is virtually zero difference. In most cases the spring rate is the same anyhow. A truck with a 1800 sticker and two additional people inside is going to support weight and perform exactly like a truck with a 1240 sticker and just a driver. There isn't any voodoo magic going on here.

I used to worry about listed numbers too, but these days I just add a little help to the rear springs and truck on down the road. I do make sure my GTW and GRAW are in spec, other than that it's a non-issue. Nothing is going to magically break.

Terndrerrr likes this.
  15. Jan 3, 2022 at 6:26 AM
    Melikeymy beer

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    Well, there it is. Everyone quit worrrying about payload. We can shut this thread down now.

Retired...finally likes this.
  16. Jan 3, 2022 at 7:14 AM
    WXman

WXman New Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 Crew Max 4x4 5.7L
    Yeah it's odd that it got to 2 pages to begin with. Guys here seem to worry about things that you never see on other brand forums, and those guys almost exclusively use their trucks for work/towing.

If the payload sticker is the deal breaker rather than how the truck is actually constructed, then a guy needs to be shopping different trucks. A Ram 2500 for example will give the same size axle, ring gear, frame, brakes, etc. but at least that payload number will make a guy happy!

17. Jan 3, 2022 at 9:38 AM
    Melikeymy beer

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    So can we ignore payload ratings on all trucks or just the Tundra?

Black Wolf likes this.
  18. Jan 3, 2022 at 10:06 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    We’re way past the point of going in circles but whatever. To me, the answer is yes to some extent. I stay within axle ratings. My truck handles and performs just fine.

I’m not trying to convince anyone how to use their truck, but here is what I see:

• the complete lack of laws in my state and every state I go to regarding staying under GVWR in a personal vehicle.
    • the complete lack of evidence of a guy in a half ton with too much mulch in the bed or too much overlanding crap bolted to his truck being denied insurance coverage because they dragged his wreck to the CAT scales and determined he was overweight.
    • the insanely popular and profitable industry of bolting steel bumpers, armor, racks, tents, giant tires to vehicles that puts them at or over GVWR before anyone even gets in let alone loads food, water, or camping supplies into it.

If it were illegal, these companies would be liable for letting dangerous rigs leave their shops, and they would stop outfitting people’s rigs. If it were illegal, we’d see some GVWR laws being enforced. If it were illegal, personal and recreational vehicles would be required to visit the scales like commercial vehicles are.

Accidents happen, yes. And we should all be as safe as possible. So I expect all of you who police everyone else’s payloads to be driving under the speed limit (which is also set by engineers based on data like population, traffic load, road entry points, road curvature, weather patterns, etc) at all times. Because if you cause an accident while speeding, your insurance company will deny your claim. Oh wait, nope they apparently still pay.

Retired...finally likes this.
  19. Jan 3, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    Melikeymy beer

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    You were quoting me but I don't remember policing anyone's payload. Tow and haul what you want. I seriously don't care. I'm just trying to make my own decision on what truck to buy based on my own judgement.

I'm here to find out what the payload is on different trims on the 2022.

If people don't care about payload ratings, why are they even in this thread? Unless it's to convince the rest of us we are wrong to care. Or to convince themselves.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  20. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    Then treat my post as more info upon which to base your decision.

When I said “all of you” that wasn’t necessarily directed at just you. I had sort of moved away from responding to your post into a general payload discussion rant.

And you’re right, I kind of don’t care about the payload rating. Up to a certain point, like a few hundred lb over. I didn’t buy an HD truck, and I don’t do HD truck stuff with my Tundra. At this point, I’m not willing to drive a longer, more difficult to maneuver truck with a higher center of gravity just so I can have a payload buffer the two or three times a year I put heavy stuff in the bed. I look at the payload rating as a guideline and don’t overdo it too bad. I stay under my axle ratings.

I really hope Toyota offers a HDPP on the iForce Max trucks, as highly unlikely as it seems.

21. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:30 PM
    Melikeymy beer

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    Respectfully, I've already made the decision to tow within the specs or perhaps slightly over. I'm not looking for other input in that regard.

Some won't go a pound over or even want a cushion, others are OK towing 100-200 lbs over, and still others on here are saying to just load it up and send it because space shuttle.

.com.google.Chrome.kOk529.jpg

22. Jan 3, 2022 at 12:57 PM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    If every single Tundra owner immediately stopped exceeding the manufacturer's recommended payload one wonders how that would impact Toyota's decision to produce an HD pickup truck for the North American market.
    Certainly demands for one would increase substantially and Tundra sales would plummet.
    I've certainly seen enough posts where members state they'd buy an HD Toyota pickup truck tomorrow if Toyota offered such a thing.
    Surely Toyota knows what their loyal Tundra owners are doing, and combined with the lost sales to domestic HD trucks that already exists, Toyota has made the conscious decision that the development, manufacturing and marketing of an HD Toyota pickup truck remains uncompetitive.
    Feel free to overload your Tundra. Just don't whine to me that Toyota is stupid for not producing an HD pickup truck.

23. Jan 4, 2022 at 6:15 PM
    work_truck

work_truck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 RCLB 4x4 5.7 SR5
    @Mattedfred here are the ratings from my truck. 1820 lbs payload with 0 pound reduction on yellow sticker.

I agree with others that say the payload ratings are conservative and that a good tow setup means a lot more than the numbers. At the same time I wouldn't want to buy a truck that nominally couldn't tow the trailer it was bought for. But you should be within spec if you can find one of these RCLB 4x4 5.7 trucks. They are rare, especially with low miles. I believe 2017 was the very last year for RCLB.

People act so surprised that a half ton crewmax can't handle more payload. Compared with the regular cab, they are carrying about 500 pounds of "payload" just in the extra cab weight even empty. The Crewmax really is fully loaded with 4 guys and some camping gear and cooler in the bed.

IMG_20220104_205446194.jpg
    IMG_20220104_205511360~2.jpg

24. Jan 4, 2022 at 6:44 PM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Thanks very much for taking the time to do this!
    1820 would be awesome!
    Is yours a regular bed or long bed?
    They are pretty rare but I’ve been able to find close a handful used regular cabs for sale across Canada since I started researching.

I confirmed this 2016 has 1710 lbs of payload.

https://link.kijijiautos.ca/?isi=1327751487&ibi=ecg.move.CA&link=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kijijiautos.ca%2Fcars%2Ftoyota%2Ftundra%2F%3Futm_source%3Dcom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dios_social_buttons_dynamic%26utm_content%3Dvip%23vip%3D23608377&apn=ecg.move.ca

25. Jan 4, 2022 at 8:07 PM
    work_truck

work_truck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 RCLB 4x4 5.7 SR5
    Mine has the 8 foot bed. I hope you find something that works for you!

26. Jan 5, 2022 at 3:16 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    Thanks bud!

work_truck likes this.
  27. Jan 10, 2022 at 10:21 AM
    Mattedfred

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top