1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door issues

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Hawaii4x4, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Jan 8, 2023 at 5:23 PM
    Hawaii4x4

Hawaii4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota tundra double cab
    Hey everyone. I have been having the issue with my driver and passenger door not shutting without slamming it pretty hard. It started with my passenger door. After a while of it happening it started to not want to open. I replaced the door locking assembly and actuator which helped me being able to open it, but it still has an issue where I have to slam it shut. Any help would be great thanks. 04 DC

2. Jan 8, 2023 at 6:16 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Have you checked the alignment of the door strike post to the door latch? The post is usually adjustable on most vehicles. Just don't loosen too much on some vehicles, I not sure it applies to 1st gen Tundras, but I've lost the back side of the post in the process on at least one other vehicle.

gosolo likes this.
  3. Jan 23, 2023 at 6:36 PM
    Firstgen04DC

Firstgen04DC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Bellingham WA
    Vehicle:
    4WD sr5 04DC
    second, I have this issue as well. I’ve replaced the latch and the hinges to no avail. Tried adjustments as well, all the fasteners have a centering cone so there’s not much adjustment besides the door hinges. It did get much better after the new latch assembly though, I only have to half slam it now.

4. Jan 23, 2023 at 6:39 PM
    Firstgen04DC

Firstgen04DC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Bellingham WA
    Vehicle:
    4WD sr5 04DC
    the bolts on the strike post are centering on my car. Do you mean that loosening then a little might just work fine? I’ve been throwing parts at it and think it’s a Hinge adjustment at this point.

5. Jan 23, 2023 at 7:24 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    I'm going to speak generically here: I've had a lot of cars in my lifetime. The center post or center loop the door latch clamps on to on almost every vehicle I've owned has some movement available, and if you look at where the latch meets the strike, you can determine if that post or loop needs to come up or down.

It's not always true, but was more often than not. I have no experience with this on the 1st gen Tundra.

I thought this was the problem on a previous GM truck I owned; it ended up being the bits on the hinge side wearing out. I could tell because I could get the door to close cleanly by lifting the door while closing; it latched perfectly. That was after lifting the center post up to its highest possible setting.

Aerindel likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top