1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Chrome Shift Console Bezel Removal : Vinyl Carbon Fiber Wrap

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Koke, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Jul 28, 2017 at 1:37 PM
    Koke

Koke [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Tundra TSS
    First DIY, well actually second. I did the steering wheel chrome accents & shot the whole removal on video. I just haven't gotten around to cutting it yet. This one is a fairly easy job. I wasn't able to locate any resources that explained how to take the chrome bezel piece off the center shift console. After an hour and given around I decided to just go for it and try what I thought was how it was connected. After the semi heart attack I got from this wicked plastic snapping sound, it only took about 45 minutes. I always hate when people don't show what the final looks like until the bottom, so all those are first.
    Bezel After 1.jpg Bezel Console After 2.jpg Bezel Solo After 1.jpg

So the center console pops off just using a plastic pry tool. Unscrew your shifter & then you can probably use a plastic spatula, just nothing that will tweak the finish. Pull that up & take a peek at all the filth you probably have accumulated. I went off cleaning mine b4 the pics, I saw a thread where this dude with a pretty good helping of OCD was going into vapor lock over the dirt in the pics.
    To make this:
    Bezel Removal Before 1.jpg
    Do this:
    Bezel Removal After 1.jpg
    Theres a few slotted tabs which are obvious how to remove,
    Bezel Removal Side Tabs On 1.jpg
    but the top & bottom are plastic welded where these little stamp patterns are. I used an old discount card cut into strips to wedge in there to get a bit of a gap. Take a THIN flat head, get it close to the weld & pry it up. You're gonna hear a pretty nasty snap.
    Bezel Removal Before Tabs 1.jpg Bezel Removal After Tabs 1 copy.jpg
    They "should" just break at the weak point & leave a little hole.
    Bezel Removal After 1.jpg
    In my opinion, this is the best stuff to wrap with.
    Bezel Carbon Vinyl Backing 1.jpg
    It is really forgiving. You need to use some heat to get the vinyl to relax. Believe it or not, for things this small i'll use a candle. Like I said, this piece is really pretty easy to do. Only thing you don't want to do is stretch the vinyl too far as it will be very evident in the carbon look pattern.

It will be a tight fit reinstalling. Probably will have to trim any bunched up corners. I just super glued the plastic broken tabs... they aren't going anywhere.

2. Jul 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Added to the DIY list :thumbsup:

Bob likes this.
  3. Jul 28, 2017 at 7:23 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    At first I thought you were removing the vinyl wrap

4. Jul 28, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Looks great!

5. Mar 3, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    Mountun Goat

Mountun Goat She baaaaaahd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    EhBerta, Canadia
    Vehicle:
    It’s a Goat.
    Nice looks awesome

6. Apr 9, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    DoctorBAH

DoctorBAH New Member

Member:
    Big D
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited 4x4 - black
    - Billstein 5100 Ride-Height Adjustable front shocks, set to ‘level’ the truck (raised the front approx. 2-inches). - K&N Cold Air Intake (#77-9036KP) - Bakflip G2 tri-fold hard tonneau. - Flowmaster, Series 44, 2-in/2-out. - Slightly bigger 275-60/20 Firestone Destination All-Terrain (33-inch). - Husky X-Act Contour Floor Liners. - GTR Lighting Gen 3 LED Ultra Series headlight bulbs. - GTR Lighting switchback LED bulbs for DRL, Blinkers and Parking lights. - Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lights - Vehicle OCD™ (Organized Console Device) ($25 Amazon, awesome). - The Stubby radio antenna. - Philips Bright White Vision LED Back-up Light (921/T16) (12789LPB2) for rear high mount cab lights (awesome). - SYLVANIA 168 T10 5W White LED Bulbs for tag/license plate lights. - Carbon Fiber Door Sill Protectors. - TRDbeast door handle decals and center console emblem. - Tailgate letter inserts, carbon fiber. - Blacked-out chrome “TUNDRA” on front doors. - Tow Hooks painted red (+5 hp).
    Where’d you find that shift knob?

Products Discussed in

To Top