1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ditch light wiring.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jefroshm0, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Dec 3, 2020 at 3:18 PM
    jefroshm0

jefroshm0 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Elk Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra Crew 4x4 SR5
    I bought 4 ditch lights and bracket. I have installed those no problem. I also purchased a wiring harness to connect everything together.

The problem is the trigger switch system I have. The wiring harness isn’t really compatible and I’m having. A hard time figuring out the connections.
    I have the dt y splitters on each side (connecting the two ditch lights to one female end).

I need to connect both passenger and driver side dt connectors to the trigger switch system. I think the relay needs to come off as it’s not needed. I tried connecting using the harness in pic but nothing turned on. And yes the trigger switch is working fine.

Any advice would be great.

9ACBB952-0081-434D-A807-362941E19A87.jpg
    EDCC6D6E-92F1-468A-886D-705F44549EB4.jpg
    D24A8987-672D-4361-99FE-0C6481C246E7.jpg

2. Dec 3, 2020 at 3:49 PM
    APalmTree

APalmTree 4x4 SKEPTIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad White Crewmax 5.7L
    1 or 2... I lost count
    It depends on what you want. You can cut the relay out and connect the positive and negative wires to your trigger system. Otherwise, the relay needs to be connected to the battery and then the trigger switch will turn on the relay which prevents your trigger system from providing the amps and puts the draw directly on the battery. From your last picture, it looks like you have no wire connected to complete the circuit inside the relay so it won't light. With those little pods, you should have no problem connecting straight to your trigger system but a larger draw would be useful to have the trigger system flip the relay to prevent overdrawing the trigger switch. I hope that all makes sense.

jefroshm0[OP] and cctxquicksand like this.
  3. Dec 3, 2020 at 4:37 PM
    jefroshm0

jefroshm0 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Elk Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra Crew 4x4 SR5
    Yep! That’s what I did. It’s only pulling 7 amps for all 4 so I cut the relay out and connected the red and black together for all 3 points. They work perfectly. Thanks again.

APalmTree likes this.
  4. Dec 3, 2020 at 6:10 PM
    APalmTree

APalmTree 4x4 SKEPTIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad White Crewmax 5.7L
    1 or 2... I lost count
    That's the same way I hooked mine up as well. I got a generic Amazon special switch controller but I was not worried about the amp draw so I ditched the relay. The relays are useful if your amp draw will be higher than your switch controller can handle, for example, an ARB Dual compressor which can draw upwards of 40amps which exceeds my el-cheapo switch controller. Glad I could help you out :thumbsup:

Edit: ARB Dual Compressor can draw 50 amps at full load. Even more reason the relay is helpful

Front Aux Lights.jpg Switch Controller.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top