1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dispersed camping recommendations in Colorado?

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by Terndrerrr, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Jun 16, 2021 at 5:22 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr [OP] guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    We're headed out West soon. Looking to do some dispersed camping with the family in western Colorado. We're not pulling a camper or anything.

Any recommendations? We're not looking for campgrounds or RV parks. Somewhere remote. We are big "leave no trace" people. I know it's probably hard to find somewhere that isn't crawling with people, but the more remote the better. We do this often in TN. Several areas offer 3-day dispersed camping permits for cheap so you can get lost.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jun 16, 2021 at 5:28 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Hopefully, any responses you get will be via PM so the last remaining “unknown” spots won’t be ruined by posts on a searchable public forum. o_O

3. Jun 16, 2021 at 5:30 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Keep in mind that side of the divide is currently in severe drought conditions. There will be fire restrictions for sure. I would call the Forest Service first and ask what areas are good to go and what other restrictions may be enforced.

4. Jun 16, 2021 at 5:30 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Where exactly do you see yourself going?
    I am in Gunnison in the Summer and there is dispersed camping all around there and along US 50 and up 135 towards Crested Butte and above there too!
    I have camped along both and also on Cottonwood Pass on the Buena Vista side too there are small grouos of if soits all over the place really.

5. Jun 16, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Keep in mind that camper sales, RV sales, Jeep sales, etc, are through the roof and many folks are heading out this way. Colorado in the summer is always a magnet but expect a shit load of out of state folks coming here. I already saw it on hwy 160 this past Memorial Day weekend. Crazier than usual.

6. Jun 16, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    I’m hoping most of them aren’t dragging their campers out to the middle of nowhere like we’re planning on doing.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 16, 2021 at 5:51 PM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    It’s Colorado. Are there any spots where one can apply for a dispersed permit that people don’t know about??

8. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:03 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    I thought you meant you were hoping for specific spots, maybe coordinates or descriptions of cool sites with attributes. I want you to discover those, and hope our forum friends tell you… off-line. I am willing to be the one to remind us all that we don’t want to share cool locals info with other people :rolleyes: who likely— based on the horrors I witnessed during last year’s pandemic stupid camping— won’t be as ‘leave no trace’ as you have described yourself to be.

Terndrerrr[QUOTED][OP] and ezdog like this.
  9. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:39 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Those spots are prolly taken. The locals here jump on them first. That's why I have my own 5+ acre off grid property here. Most CO state park spots are reserved in advance more than a year prior before the nonsense hit. RMNP has been online reservations only just to drive through since Covid hit. Mt Evans road is now reservations only to drive up now. Pissing off the locals and me. Many long term off road trails have been closed the last couple years by the Forest Service and BLM which affects dispersed camping opportunities. Going to get worse. The yuge red flag was the long line getting into Great Sand Dunes Nat Park on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. Many locals from Alamosa of course and a shit load of out of state plates. A shit load.... a harbinger of things to come this summer here.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  10. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:48 PM
    IndianaGeologist

IndianaGeologist New Member

Member:
    Trenderr, my advice is get on Google Earth and Gaia and just plot out some routes off the beaten path near stuff you want to do. The best thing you can do is try and settle into a campsite early to lock in a good spot and do some day hiking. That was our plan, but an unplanned wedding made us change direction lol. You can also buy off-roading trail books to help with some of the areas and what roads are best for the truck...or which ones too avoid due to high jeep traffic. Either way, you probably won't get too much help because of the overcrowding, but you'll still have a great time out there.

11. Jun 16, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Great advice, but I'd still call the Forest Service or the the BLM to see if there are special permits or access requirements for a particular area that might be "closed". A simple phone call with a Forest Service station that has control over a particular forest where you want to camp can be quite fruitful. Just sayin...wink...wink..
    FYI....I have the latest Gov maps but they are useless unless you know what is still open or closed. The maps can't tell you that...

12. Jun 16, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    Yeah, I see what you mean. And I totally get it. Those people boil my blood. And they're part of the reason we're getting out there sooner than later because I honestly think they're going to ruin it for the rest of us before too long. Leaving trash and human feces everywhere :facepalm:, going off-trail in vehicles where specifically stated NOT to do so. People are very frustrating.

jpod, Sunnier[QUOTED] and Black Wolf like this.
  13. Jun 16, 2021 at 8:08 PM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    I'm not in CO but most of my camping is dispersed. I use OnX app to find federal lands combined with Google Maps to "survey" the area. If I like it, I save the coordinates in Google Maps then download the offline maps for that area so I can navigate to it later.

Terndrerrr[OP] likes this.
  14. Jun 16, 2021 at 8:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Yep, happening already. Since 2004, Colorado's population has grown 1.24 million up to 2020. That explains a few things. Imagine how many out of stater's come here to ski in the winter and see the sights and camp in the summer now along with the locals trying to vie for the same spots??????
    FYI.....many 4 wheeling trails that are now closed ARE NOT MARKED CLOSED. Forest Service and BLM try to mark the trails as closed but they are way behind marking them as closed. They will block them them off with trees or rocks, so if you come across a trail that looks permanently blocked......don't get out your winch and move shit out of the way. Worse...drive around the blockage. Hefty fine if caught. Very hefty fine. Beware is all I'm sayin. Check out "Stay the Trail.com." My property is in a potential fire zone. If current FS status says no camp fires....then don't build a camp fire while camping. FYI......same as tossing out a lighted cig butt. I get it. Can't camp without a campfire. Bullshit. Heat up your s'mores on your Coleman stove. Don't let me catch anyone trying to burn down my and my neighbors property. There would be hell to pay......:thumbsup:

15. Jun 16, 2021 at 9:47 PM
    Booney

Booney New Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Vehicle:
    Smoked Mesquite 2021 1794 Off Road TRD
    This summer it's like a parade all week long past our house. It used to be mostly weekends. Not anymore. COVID has brought people out. People are getting more and more touchy and there are more and more confrontations between locals and campers that think they can just ride, drive, shoot, fish anywhere or just act like jackwagons. The locals are a little touchy and sensitive after the High Park fire in 2012 and then the Cameron Peak fire last year. Those fires destroyed a lot of camping areas so campers are even more jammed together. The fire almost consumed the whole summer packing and unpacking, tracking the fire and the weather. Stack that on with COVID and it made for a real crappy summer. We were evacuated twice. I spent 4 weeks in a hotel hoping that my house didn't burn down. I have friends that lost everything because of a person that was careless with a fire.

Black Wolf likes this.
  16. Jun 16, 2021 at 10:10 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    You just have to go where campers can’t.

Check out:

Holy Cross out of Leadville. I’m just going to tell you, the tundra isn’t going to make it. Don’t trash it trying. Lots of good camping around the area though. Very scenic.

Crested Butte. Some of the best areas in CO. If you like single track, this is the gate to heaven.

If you plan on being in the SW part of the state, plenty of dispersed camping down by Pagosa Springs. Hell, the whole area has a lot to offer you with even trails the mighty Tundra can do.

The western slope has a lot to offer, but it’s pretty hot right now. Hell, today in Colorado it hit triple digits at over 6500’ of elevation. That is hot.

5B080A55-7A75-4A4F-9048-BF7EA200DBB8.jpg

Any particular areas you want to see?

jpod likes this.
  17. Jun 16, 2021 at 10:13 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  18. Jun 17, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    Sonicbluerider

Sonicbluerider New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Just make sure you DON'T DO IT ON COLORADO STATE LANDS.. THEY PASSED A LAW LAST YEAR ,SAYING U NEED A HUNTING AN FISHING LICENSE TO STAY ON STATE LAND. ITS TRUE ,WE WHERE KICKED OFF IN LAMER JUST 3 WEEKS AGO

Black Wolf and ColoradoTJ like this.
  19. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:14 AM
    fundra_goes_west

fundra_goes_west I’m just a guy with a girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    I don’t mind this. Hopefully the money from the fees is doing some good.

20. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:21 AM
    Jbehredt

Jbehredt Burgeoning member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro DC White
    State wildlife areas. SWAs are what you’re referring to. I do believe they also came up with a fee for use this year so that the PETA types wouldn’t have to experience the horror of being seen as loosely supporting hunting or fishing.

Terndrerrr[OP] and ColoradoTJ like this.
  21. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:24 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Good to know. Colorado is a fine/fee state.

22. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:30 AM
    fundra_goes_west

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    OP to put this back on the rails. CO people who know the spots really don’t share them unfortunately. For people who have been here pre-legalization have seen their spots get thinner and thinner to avoid crowds and have become a much more guarded secret. I actually enjoy leaving the state because places like CB that used to be awesome have become a shit show. If the miles of the 401 weren’t pure bliss I wouldn’t go back, (plus there’s a spot across the stream people don’t know about ;)).

I would check out freecampsites.net and try and find spots where people describe stopping because “the road got rougher ahead” and try and find those spots. I have had success doing that.

23. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:31 AM
    Sonicbluerider

Sonicbluerider New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    ya right your from Colorado!! for me an wife it's over $250.00 no thank you

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  24. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    That is a bit spendy.

4CF2B6B2-8203-41F9-B63E-CA530528FA9B.jpg

25. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:43 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    Going where other campers can't–that's exactly what we're going to do.

Yeah we'd like to check out CB. I'll look into Pagosa Springs, thanks. We were planning on heading to the sand dunes and San Juan. I have family in CO Springs as well. So we'll be stopping by there on the way in or out as well.

Man, that is hot!

26. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    fundra_goes_west

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    There’s some cool stuff in paradise valley in CB. I would poke around that area on google maps. I would try and be there on a weekday depending on your schedule.

27. Jun 17, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Mountain Home Reservoir near my property is a designated State Wildlife Area and there are no fees but you do have to have a hunting and or fishing license to have access if you are 18 or older. Same with State Trust lands here. I get a combo license every year so not a big deal. Mountain Home is dispersed camping but gets quite crazy at times during the summer. Weekdays are always the best time. Not far from the Dunes. Maybe 30 minutes.

28. Jun 17, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Smith Reservoir State Wildlife Area near Blanca is another decent option that's not far from the Dunes. 20 minutes or so.

29. Jun 17, 2021 at 7:03 AM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    That's a total bummer. I Havent been to CB in a few years but was wanting to plan another bike trip through the Western States again. Last time I went it was still mellow, nice camping, chill town and empty trails.

It's insane. For a minute I thought the Sierra's would take the brunt of people, and they do, but it's even in the foothills, FS roads, any trail, any spot. I'm truly upset about this influx of people, lack of regard for anything, and battering of any spot that was a cool place. The only thing I can think of is people sat around on their phones scrolling through social media at beautiful places posted by bloggers and influencers, and now they want to go as well.

I'm really hoping everything opens back up to some version of normality and people stay home , go to Applebees, and watch movies. It'll be better for everyone. But it's an extremely odd circumstance right? As all my local spots and special places get inundated, I try go farther away to my less frequented spots to get away from it all. But everyone is doing the same. :annoyed: I can't blame them.

Black Wolf likes this.
  30. Jun 17, 2021 at 7:22 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Ummm one word sadly explains it all

Pot

Black Wolf and Terndrerrr[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top