1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did the New Tundra Miss the Mark?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Pac12AfterDark, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Dec 16, 2021 at 5:58 PM
    Pac12AfterDark

Pac12AfterDark [OP] New Member

Member:
    I probably wont and up buying one, so I don't have a dog in the fight. All the TFLs and other crap Google's algorithm throw at me seem to Indicate the truck is "fine".

Basically does everything the others have been doing for half a decade plus. Am I missing something?

For what it's worth I was dead set on a CM 6.5 unt pricing came out.

OnThaLake likes this.
  2. Dec 17, 2021 at 4:33 AM
    nuclear

nuclear New Member

Member:
    Yes

/thread

OnThaLake likes this.
  3. Dec 17, 2021 at 5:17 AM
    DerfM

DerfM Knows nothing about trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MBM
    I think for a lot of late 2.5gen owners it really just doesn't move the needle. Slightly better gas mileage and minor interior changes (that can pretty much be done aftermarket on a 2.5) really just aren't worth the price tag for me. I'm sure there's the "gotta have it" people, but all I'm looking at is the new one would save me about $20 every time I fill up, it's just not worth it at this point. Now, 20 years from now when my 2021 is near EOL and I'm looking at retirement, then YES I'll buy whatever Solid State Battery electric Tundra exists.

OnThaLake, memario1214 and 1UP like this.
  4. Dec 17, 2021 at 5:21 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    In 20 years your 2.5 will just be broken in!

5. Dec 17, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Unfortunately I think Toyota missed the mark on this one. Especially on value for the money, and their asinine “subscription” data service and functionality.

As stated the new Tundra doesn’t leapfrog the competition in most any metric measured, and in fact trails right out of the gate on paper.

Now the sum may be greater than the parts but reviews don’t seem to suggest that’s the case.

Toyota also wants a nearly obscene amount of money for the new truck, and it should give anyone pause. For those doing truck stuff on a regular basis a well equipped 3/4 ton gasser is within a similar budget!

Toyota faithful will still be buyers, I might even buy one too since I’m ready for a new truck after nearly 15 years in my current Tundra. I’ll drive the competition first though, and last time I didn’t. For owners of a Tundra less than 10 years old or under 100,000 miles I would see zero reason at all to consider a 2022.

MaxMB, sn_85, OnThaLake and 4 others like this.
  6. Dec 17, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    Toyota1234

Toyota1234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2022, army green limited, off road, DC
    Pricing seems to be right where I was expecting it to be with how much upgraded this truck is. And a truck that does what the competition was doing with Toyota reliability? It’s a no brainer for me. This is the truck I have been waiting for.

Pac12AfterDark[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 17, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    john1062

john1062 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    I am on the market for a truck and I think it missed the mark on few aspects:

Payload - 1300-1400 lb is better than the previous one but not enough for a travel trailer and a family of 4 plus gear, etc - and significantly lower than the competition. Also real payload is 400lb less than published (even dealers don't know this - I was arguing with one sales guy last evening about it - as he kept showing me the official specs of 1760 lb for a Limited OR until I took him to the door sticker where it was 1400. He was shocked :))
    No "ProPower onboard" like system. This is the newest truck on the market and they added a 400W "optional" 120V plug. This is ridiculous as they have a larger one on the Sienna and they had a while to look around to see what is the completion doing.
    Tailgate step is optional (not even available in Canada) and way worse system than the Ford or GM. Very bad thinking there.
    No rails on the roof for a rack system - not even sure if possible to install one, especially with the sunroof on.
    No standard Running boards for any package (at least in Canada) - and they will deduct from payload as well
    Hump at back. Not sure why everybody was able to have a flat floor but the Tundra must have a hump. Rear storage with the built in box is also not the best (see the fold flat one from Ford). Rear height with the sunroof is pretty low - I fit (not in the middle) but I am only 5'-10". a 6'-1" or taller guy will brush his had on the ceiling.
    Antique 4" digital display for all models up to Platinum - nothing wrong with it - but there will be so much info there and will be a mess and hard to see all the little icons like speed limit, etc. With the same space, Ford added a way larger display in between the analog gauges with way better to see icons. Also why do you need to have a voltage hgauge but not the boost or transmission temp?
    For Canada Models Only - Air Suspension and adaptive add on not available on any trim, towing mirrors available only on Platinum, Limited comes with must have sunroof , no options to add on SR5 or Limited other than the TRD off-road and Sport, no tailgate step available, no running boards available (other than the Predator style).
    I know that some of these things are so small and easy to implement but then why didn't they do it?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    OnThaLake and UATundra like this.
  8. Dec 17, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    That's the Japanese way, not going to be the most flashy or the best off the show room floor, but it's refined and reliable. Yamaha is the exact same way. Trucks I buy Toyota, 4wheelers and PWC's I'm buying Yamaha. Number one thing I want in a vehicle is knowing that it will get me home. In order to do that, you aren't going to get the latest and greatest. I read that Toyota has been testing this engine and transmission for 6 years now. Ford and the others will often let their customers be their test mules whereas Toyota tries to perfect most things before letting the customers have them. Personally, I am willing to sacrifice not having the latest and greatest for the piece of mind that it will get me home. If you aren't willing to make that sacrifice, there are other companies that will take your business.
    And when things don't work out, Toyota fixes it. Case in point Tim's truck on Pickup truck plus, had an issue with the door locks. They sent 5 engineers to Nebraska to figure out what was wrong with it. Obviously it was bad advertising for them for his truck to give him issues and they wanted it fixed, but he said he had several issues with his Ford and they did absolutely nothing about it and couldn't care less about fixing the issues.

9. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:03 AM
    john1062

john1062 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    What I pointed is nothing flashy man - it's pure utility that is missing. When you buy a pick up truck you want it for utility. I was not comparing it with a Limited trim from competitors but with a base model XLT. Why can't you can have a truck to bring u home but also to let you carry that TT, or to let you go climb into the bed without getting wet or muddy or by having a generator built in to give u power when you're camping? Toyota also does flashy things on other models, like power reclining rear seats - who needs that ? :)

DarkMint likes this.
  10. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    Sirfive

Sirfive Master Procrastinator

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
    Yea, people dont want a big tacoma, most want a v8, and they’d have built a world beater with a longbed widebody dc taco with the 5.0, the 5.7, and the 4.5 TD.

11. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TRD OR - 4Runner Torsen Full Time 4wd
    Driver Grip Handle Borla Dual, Line X, ESP Underseat
    Hopefully Toyota pays some attention to this thread. Everyone has a different "Mark"
    Until I test drive one I will wait to comment.
    What I can say is that there have been multiple consistent comments that this truck drives...... bigger than it is.
    I would think the manufacturers driving dynamics design goal should be the opposite.

12. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    Sirfive

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
    On borla’s note, grandpas 2wd taco can u-turn on a 2 lane road with shoulders. We both likes that. The ‘02 4x4 is lazy for parking lots.

13. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    If they had put a big ATF cooler with a fan in the bed like the trophy trucks I'd have bought three '22 Tundroids.

Cpl_Punishment and Nm6300'asl like this.
  14. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:17 AM
    ColoradoCub

ColoradoCub New Member

Member:
    Just an FYI…..90% of the half tons you see on Americas highways towing a travel trailer over 20ft long are over their rated payload. Using the calculation of tongue weight equals 10-15% of actual trailer weight its nearly impossible to tow a travel trailer of any significant size and then put gear and passengers in the tow vehicle and stay under payload in a half ton if you go by the door sticker, right or wrong….just saying.

frichco228 and OnThaLake like this.
  15. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:18 AM
    Gene5253

Gene5253 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Limited

"Let you climb into the bed without getting wet or muddy" plese explain this. Lost me on that one lol

RavingOx likes this.
  16. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    Biggest way you can tell Toyota that you aren't happy is to go buy a different brand. There are a few things that I would have like to seen such as a standard bed step, tow hooks, but in pretty much everyway it is better than my current truck and I am happy with my current truck so I will be happy with the new one. I really think Toyota has realized they will never really win in the "work truck" crowd so they are moving towards a different audience.

17. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:20 AM
    OnThaLake

OnThaLake New Member

Member:
    I agree with a lot of y'all.

I've been in my current truck for well over a decade. Been very good to me, as it is Japanese brand too, and it runs perfect, don't need to sell it. But, I'd like something new.

I really wanted AWD/4A this time around in a Japanese brand FS truck. So, that's a negative.

The lack of recovery hooks, the plastic, low chin and plastic rear bumper really disappoints me. I have fun in my current truck, it is durable and well protected by thick skid plates that cover the lower front chin of the bumper, and I have readily accessible tow hooks that can be accessed even if the truck is stuffed in the mud. The rear bumper is metal and I can stand on it, with dirty boots, and the tailgate open, without damaging any delicate painted plastics.
    It's frustrating because now the Tundra has widely available rear locker. But the rest of the truck is too dainty to really push on a challenging trail where the locker is useful.

Value is GONE. Tundra is full-on maximum priced. It should be noted that FS trucks and SUVs are the most profitable vehicle in USA. By far. Manufacturers can make 10x more profit than on their car offerings. I feel Toyota is really all-in on this phenomenon now.

It used to be Japanese vehicles had streamlined options and trims. The new Tundra is just as confusing to "build" as any big 3 truck. I know some like that, and I get it. But I feel it's about tricky, an SR5 can be more expensive than a Limited, but the options are confusing. SR5 is missing so much from a Limited, I feel like you'd be a fool to high-spec an SR5, but Toyota will gladly take your money for doing so.

Don't get me wrong, I really really like the truck, but it's too expensive for what you give up compared to an older truck you might already own.

I'd be ok with the price if it at least had AWD. That's my biggest want of all.

Coal Dragger likes this.
  18. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:21 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    He's talking about the lack of a bed step and having to crawl into the bed. I will agree with him on that one. I think GM probably does the best job with this with the integrated step in the bumper.

19. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:27 AM
    Sirfive

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
    Dear tundra,
    Anything you can do, i can do better.

0CBEB91E-BDC6-4F55-8ADD-8AB11A710AAA.jpg

i’ll see myself out. 300k club.

OnThaLake likes this.
  20. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:48 AM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Nah none of that would make it a world beater.

21. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    Gene5253

Gene5253 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Limited
    Dear God I hate those hideous suicide doors

RavingOx likes this.
  22. Dec 17, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    Gene5253

Gene5253 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Limited
    Ah I see. The GM steps are awesome but those rattling clumsy ford cluster F*** tailgate steps are a joke. Man handle lol.
    You can get a power step as an option on the Tundra but I agree GM smokes the competition w/the bumper step. Can't imagine that setup costs much. I step on the rear tire to get in the bed but I am pretty long legged. No wet/mud involved

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  23. Dec 17, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    The only time I really have an issue getting into mine is when I have my waders on and have to climb in the bed. Being tall does have it's advantage sometimes. I've seen a video on Ford's step and the quality looked very janky. My dad has the multi function tailgate from GM and it's solid, but too complicated in my view. I would be very happy with the bumper step. The Tundra step will work great for me as long as it's reliable.

Gene5253[QUOTED] and john1062 like this.
  24. Dec 17, 2021 at 11:04 AM
    john1062

john1062 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    I agree that the GM is the best setup there as there is no cost and no impact to the payload. None of the steps are available in Canada - not even the manual one. Maybe they think that we are taller and fitter :)?

Gene5253[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Dec 17, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    MTRock

MTRock 1889

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior DC
    DC rear fold down seats, decals removed, blacked out badges, complete stereo, ceramic coating, ToyTec Boss 3/1.5, RidgeGrappler 305/70r17, blacked out rock rings and center caps, smoked tail lights, BAMUFFLER Alpharex Pro headlights, TRD PRO Sequoia Grille, DAPtune
  26. Dec 17, 2021 at 11:19 AM
    Sirfive

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
    yea, fullsize trucks are cartoon big and a 8’ bed is useful. Even if you need help (backdoors).

toyota’s 5.0 would bring the noise to the competition. The 5.7 and 4.5 would be adequate enough to appease the haulers…

a solid axle option would feed the fad flame.

27. Dec 17, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    MTRock

MTRock 1889

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior DC
    DC rear fold down seats, decals removed, blacked out badges, complete stereo, ceramic coating, ToyTec Boss 3/1.5, RidgeGrappler 305/70r17, blacked out rock rings and center caps, smoked tail lights, BAMUFFLER Alpharex Pro headlights, TRD PRO Sequoia Grille, DAPtune
    Nope, I think Toyota nailed it. Is it perfect for everybody..No. But I was at a dealership 2 days ago in Billings Montana to see a 2022 Tundra they told me they got 3 in and they were all pre sold, and I could put a deposit down and be number 58 on their list!
    The salesman said they have never seen anything like it before. Never have they had a list in double digits.
    This 3rd gen forum has basically become a trash the Tundra thread. So outside this little bubble I think it’s going to smash previous Tundra sales once production gets up to speed.

ja5er, JLS in WA, Mattedfred and 2 others like this.
  28. Dec 17, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    ssls6

ssls6 Dr. Awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    South Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro CM
    Bakflip, Bedstep, Gulfstate stuff
    My 2 cents....

They've become more competitive but not really class leading in any one area of design/function. If their reliability remains class leading, then they will have hit their typical mark. Toyota rarely leads but they are more reliable. If they stay true to that I'll keep buying them.

29. Dec 17, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    That’s good to hear. The echo chamber had me convinced Toyota wouldn’t sell a single truck, Mike Sweers would be unemployed, and we should all drive 3/4 ton HD trucks. I was worried there wouldn’t be any used 2022 Tundras around in 8-10 years.

MTRock[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Dec 17, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    OnThaLake

OnThaLake New Member

Member:
    Firstly, I totally agree this new Tundra will be more successful than the last one and appeal to a wider customer base.

However, saying that there's 58 people waiting for one isn't impressive considering the current situation. There's tremendous pent up demand for any vehicle worth a damn.

Products Discussed in

To Top