1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jeffw6236, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Oct 23, 2017 at 12:46 PM
    ubserved

ubserved New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toytota Tundra Platinum Crewmax
    Grillguard, front LED light bar, Leer Tonneau cover, rear LED bars
    I've had the Leer 700 on the last three trucks I have owned and did a bedrug and under rail led kit. Works great.

20170428_123535.jpg

2. Oct 23, 2017 at 1:50 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Undercover swing box, ici magnum side steps, spray in bed liner, remote start
    What bed step is that if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing the bed step you have would also offer some protection God forbid u were rearended?

3. Oct 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    ubserved

ubserved New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toytota Tundra Platinum Crewmax
    Grillguard, front LED light bar, Leer Tonneau cover, rear LED bars
    Yeah I was rear ended on a freeway offramp years ago when I was stopped in traffic. My left knee ate the dash and permanently screwed up. The step bar is made by GoRhino and I love it.

4. Oct 23, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Thanks. Appreciate the info.

5. Oct 31, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    kurtwp

kurtwp What

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4 Off Road DC
    Ah yes, my DB has been shipped.

Kurt

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  6. Nov 3, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Tundra
    Ordered a Diamondback SE this morning after reading this thread and talking to the folks at Diamondback. Appreciate information and photos here!

7. Nov 3, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Great choice, u will love it. I'm very surprised more people don't do the same over all the other similiar priced competitors. U can do so much more with it.

8. Nov 3, 2017 at 3:00 PM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Tundra
    After talking to the folks at Diamondback, told them I was looking for a cover easy to install and remove. They answered all questions. Also like how tough diamondplate is, too. They will ship in 12 days.

9. Nov 3, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    If u can live with the middle piece staying installed it is extremely easy to remove front and rear halves that raise. Simply lift and slide off. The middle takes little longer.

rideandfly likes this.
  10. Nov 3, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Tundra
    Good tip, that means most of the time I will only need to remove front & rear panels for a Kayak rack I use when I'm towing a travel trailer.
    Thanks,

11. Nov 3, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I don't know how long or width of kayak or what ur setup is in back bed. But u can even install a bed extender if u don't have a swing box. Just drop tailgate and pop open back half for a second. Swing the bed extender flipping over toward the rear so it rests on tailgate and slide your kayak in. Then just close the back cover down and lock it that way ur cover is down and locked and the kayak is secure in there. U are able to operate freely ur tailgate with or without cover being open or closed.
    To do this u just have to make sure the kayak would fit in the bed length front to back not further than with ur tailgate down and also make sure it's height would not be higher than bed rails. If this is case I'd think that would work perfectly for u and u never would even need to remove any part of cover. Just open back, flip out bed extender onto tailgate, slide the kayak into back and close down cover and lock. Might work perfect for u?

rideandfly likes this.
  12. Nov 3, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Tundra
    Like the idea of transporting Kayaks in the truck bed with tailgate down and complete Diamondback cover installed. Will check it out to see if both Kayaks will fit at same time with Diamondback installed, will see.

When towing a travel trailer, would have about a 3.5' overhang beyond the rear bumper with 2 Kayaks in the bed with tailgate down or on top of the Diamondback, could have clearance problem during sharp turns with the travel trailer. Using my current Kayak rack with Kayak above pickup bed & cab while towing travel trailer, have about a 1.5' overhang over bumper with the tailgate up and 1.5' over cab not causing a trailer turn clearance problem, it also allows me to carry camping gear in the pickup bed.

Another thought, might be able to install existing Kayak racks on top of the the Diamondback and make them removable when not needed, will see!

I have been looking at covers for several months and when I saw this thread this morning, also ordered a Diamondback this morning. Looking forward to using this cover.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  13. Nov 4, 2017 at 8:43 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    They also make a rack that if u needed may be useful. Like u said maybe u can use ur existing? It's just like all other mods, figure out what u need to accomplish and the best way to do it. (Sometimes w/trial n error)
    I know some guys do use racks around diamondback. They use the factory square cutouts to mount in, then the steel comes out side on 90°, then back up on another 90°
    Like below here.
    _|
    |
    You seem intelligent having already figured out your clearances and potential issues. I'm confident you will figure out the best way to transport the kayaks with trailer. Even if u have to end up paying more money for a diamondback headache rack that u can angle the kayaks up toward top of cab and secure it down using all them great tie downs. Good luck

rideandfly likes this.
  14. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Tundra
    Received Diamondback cover yesterday, very pleased with Diamondback quality. Might install polished alloy wheels when tires need to be replaced, will see!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  15. Nov 21, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    I'm trying to decide between a Diamondback HD and a Snugtop or ARE topper. A few questions on the Diamondback:

Do the front and rear locking rods line up perfectly with the Toyota factory rail system?
    Any rattling noises from the cover or optional Diamondback cross bins?
    If you have a cross bin, then what size works well so there is no interference of all the mounting points on the 5 1/2' bed?
    Any other issues from anyone with these covers?

Thanks!

16. Nov 21, 2017 at 8:49 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yes front n rear locking rods line perfect to factory rail system.
    Little rattle from cover over bumps but nothing too crazy.
    Don't have bins myself.
    Love my cover.

Tundra9831 likes this.
  17. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:35 AM
    kurtwp

kurtwp What

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4 Off Road DC
    No rattle that I can hear when driving down the road. You can adjust the locking rods position to fit in the middle of the rail system.

Note: When I finished installing the cab cover and let it rest wide open I didn't notice that the cover slide aliittle and it bent my tabs when I went to close the cover. I had extra hinges so I just replaced the hinges with the bent tabs.

Kurt

Tundra9831 likes this.
To Top