1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jeffw6236, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Nov 3, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    I don't know how long or width of kayak or what ur setup is in back bed. But u can even install a bed extender if u don't have a swing box. Just drop tailgate and pop open back half for a second. Swing the bed extender flipping over toward the rear so it rests on tailgate and slide your kayak in. Then just close the back cover down and lock it that way ur cover is down and locked and the kayak is secure in there. U are able to operate freely ur tailgate with or without cover being open or closed.
    To do this u just have to make sure the kayak would fit in the bed length front to back not further than with ur tailgate down and also make sure it's height would not be higher than bed rails. If this is case I'd think that would work perfectly for u and u never would even need to remove any part of cover. Just open back, flip out bed extender onto tailgate, slide the kayak into back and close down cover and lock. Might work perfect for u?

rideandfly[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Nov 3, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    Like the idea of transporting Kayaks in the truck bed with tailgate down and complete Diamondback cover installed. Will check it out to see if both Kayaks will fit at same time with Diamondback installed, will see.

When towing a travel trailer, would have about a 3.5' overhang beyond the rear bumper with 2 Kayaks in the bed with tailgate down or on top of the Diamondback, could have clearance problem during sharp turns with the travel trailer. Using my current Kayak rack with Kayak above pickup bed & cab while towing travel trailer, have about a 1.5' overhang over bumper with the tailgate up and 1.5' over cab not causing a trailer turn clearance problem, it also allows me to carry camping gear in the pickup bed.

Another thought, might be able to install existing Kayak racks on top of the the Diamondback and make them removable when not needed, will see!

I have been looking at covers for several months and when I saw this thread this morning, also ordered a Diamondback this morning. Looking forward to using this cover.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  3. Nov 4, 2017 at 8:43 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    They also make a rack that if u needed may be useful. Like u said maybe u can use ur existing? It's just like all other mods, figure out what u need to accomplish and the best way to do it. (Sometimes w/trial n error)
    I know some guys do use racks around diamondback. They use the factory square cutouts to mount in, then the steel comes out side on 90°, then back up on another 90°
    Like below here.
    _|
    |
    You seem intelligent having already figured out your clearances and potential issues. I'm confident you will figure out the best way to transport the kayaks with trailer. Even if u have to end up paying more money for a diamondback headache rack that u can angle the kayaks up toward top of cab and secure it down using all them great tie downs. Good luck

rideandfly[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    Received Diamondback cover yesterday, very pleased with Diamondback quality. Might install polished alloy wheels when tires need to be replaced, will see!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  5. Nov 21, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    I'm trying to decide between a Diamondback HD and a Snugtop or ARE topper. A few questions on the Diamondback:

Do the front and rear locking rods line up perfectly with the Toyota factory rail system?
    Any rattling noises from the cover or optional Diamondback cross bins?
    If you have a cross bin, then what size works well so there is no interference of all the mounting points on the 5 1/2' bed?
    Any other issues from anyone with these covers?

Thanks!

6. Nov 21, 2017 at 8:49 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yes front n rear locking rods line perfect to factory rail system.
    Little rattle from cover over bumps but nothing too crazy.
    Don't have bins myself.
    Love my cover.

Tundra9831[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 22, 2017 at 5:35 AM
    kurtwp

kurtwp What

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4 Off Road DC
    No rattle that I can hear when driving down the road. You can adjust the locking rods position to fit in the middle of the rail system.

Note: When I finished installing the cab cover and let it rest wide open I didn't notice that the cover slide aliittle and it bent my tabs when I went to close the cover. I had extra hinges so I just replaced the hinges with the bent tabs.

Kurt

Tundra9831 likes this.
  8. Nov 26, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    I went and looked at ARE and Snugtop toppers yesterday and wasn't impressed with the quality or prices. I'm thinking the Diamondback HD cover may be the best option for me. I may think on it for another day to be sure of this choice.

9. Nov 27, 2017 at 2:11 PM
    jeffw6236

jeffw6236 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM CrewMax 4x4
    Ditto on what others have said. This cover is awesome. A little rattle when going over bumps but I can only hear it if I have my back window down.

Tundra9831 likes this.
  10. Nov 27, 2017 at 10:34 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    After a ton of research on all different toppers and tonneau covers I finally decided on a Diamondback HD in black. Now I need to wait patiently for about 3 weeks for it to arrive. Early Christmas present for me ;)

mgm16trdpro and rideandfly like this.
  11. Nov 28, 2017 at 5:33 AM
    tgun

tgun New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    295x55x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fuel Anza D557 20x9 w/ 20" offset, ToyTec/Boss 3" Lift, Apex Rock Sliders (LineX), TRD Sway Bar, TRD Pro Grill (lineX), Hood Bulge, Painted Bumper Ends, Black out badges and door handles, Color Match Mirror caps, 2018 LED Headlights and Fogs, Linex Bed Liner, Diamondback HD Bed Cover, TRD Exhaust, Bottomland Marathon Seat Covers, TRD Shift Knob, Precision LED Interior Lighting
  12. Nov 28, 2017 at 6:13 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Merry fn xmas. Congrats

13. Nov 28, 2017 at 6:14 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Looks awesome. Same as mine, I actually like look of yours better bc I have the rails that come on atv package, but both look killer. Love my DB.

rideandfly likes this.
  14. Dec 10, 2017 at 11:52 PM
    Meltz

Meltz New Member

Member:
    Great thread guys. Love my diamondback! I also did a quick youtube video on this cover if anyone is interested or on the fence about purchasing.
    https://youtu.be/wCQzHOis-Bg

15. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:33 AM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    Meltz,

Fine video, will forward to a friend. After seeing photos of my Diamondback, he's thinking about buying one for a new Tundra he's getting ready to buy.

Nice job!

16. Dec 13, 2017 at 9:14 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    My Diamondback HD showed up today. I hope to find time to install it in the next couple of days.

rideandfly and mgm16trdpro like this.
  17. Dec 16, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    I finally had a chance to install my new Diamondback cover. It seems great so far :)
    Diamondback1.jpg Diamondback2.jpg

18. Dec 16, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Awesome, looks great. Welcome to this thing of ours lol.

19. Dec 16, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    crap....after looking at other install photos I'm wondering if I need to move my cover about 1/4" forward toward the cab. I put 135lbs of weight on the center piece when I tightened everything down and used the same 135lbs on all 4 corners when I adjusted the lock rods etc. It is now very tight to close (I need to climb on top to get it to latch). The tailgate also doesn't work at all with the cover closed. I thought this was all normal and after a few weeks of the weather seal compressing I figured I would be good to go. After looking at other photos I wonder if my tailgate will ever work with the cover closed the way I have it aligned. Any comments on how it breaks in and how picky it is with exact alignment fore and aft? Mine looks very centered now, but when I look at my tailgate alignment vs others I'm slightly back. Thoughts before I redo this tomorrow?

20. Dec 16, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I just split difference all way around pretty much. The tail end of mine is tighter lock down than my front, but even so, I'm still able to open n close tail. When I installed, I had a friend tighten it down as I stood on top. I'm little over 200 lbs. U should be able to adjust easily. Just loosen middle section and slide where u need it. I just walked around truck and tried to keep cover even around the bed rails splitting distance around. Hope this helps.

Motor71 and Tundra9831[QUOTED] like this.
  21. Dec 16, 2017 at 7:54 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    also, did you guys with a spray in liner install the extra bulkhead weatherstrip?

22. Dec 16, 2017 at 8:01 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I have factory spray liner. I did not install extra bulkhead. Seems to keep water out pretty well without.

23. Dec 17, 2017 at 3:56 AM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    Same here, factory spray on bed liner, did not require any weather stripping in addition to Diamondback factory installed seals.

24. Dec 17, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Wonder if you can get it colour matched line-x when you Oder. Anyone know or you’d have to do that yourself locally once you get the product.

25. Dec 17, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    I'm pretty sure Diamondback sprays them in house so I doubt they are set-up to do color matching. If you wanted to do that, then I bet it is easiest to order brushed aluminum, then have your local LineX dealer color match.

Y0TA PR0[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Dec 17, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    Y0TA PR0

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Sweet. Ya that’s what I thought too, but had to ask. Lol. Thanks.
    Man can’t wait to get me one.

27. Dec 17, 2017 at 2:27 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    day 2 with my Diamondback and I loosened everything up, moved the cover forward about 1/4" and didn't put as much weight in the corners when adjusting the lock rods. I think this will make it easier to close (so I don't have to climb on top every time...haha) and will hopefully allow the tailgate to work without opening the cover after it breaks in for a few more days (as the manual advises). Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to using this thing :)

28. Dec 17, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yeah I just followed directions. I believe it said to leave alone for 2 days once on, I think I even gave mine and extra day or 2 since I didn't need to open right away. Mine don't leak or let normal water in. I get very little in couple corners bc the car wash hits it from the side and under the cover with a hard blast of water. Even so, it's pretty minimal. Normal weather rain n snow don't get wet at all. I have no problems opening and closing tailgate with my cover still locked down. If I'm not in a rush I will open the back close the tail then close the cover on top. Guessing that might be better for longevity of that seal.

29. Dec 17, 2017 at 7:03 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Not trying to talk u out of color match linex, but when I took my side steps to place to linex them the owner talked me out of color match. Matter of fact, even said he wouldn't bc he knew I wouldn't be happy with it. Told me to stay with black. I forget reasoning, ie change color over time, or just not match ect. I forget reason but I definitely remember him telling me not to do it. He would've got paid no matter the color linex I chose, he just wanted to make sure I was happy with it. I'm just relaying what I was told. U might want to look into the color match more before doing it and then having a great expensive cover u hate the look of. Again, I can't remember exact reason, I'm just trying to help u out from what I do remember. Good luck.

Y0TA PR0[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Dec 17, 2017 at 7:56 PM
    Y0TA PR0

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Right on bud good to know. Black does look good, And I’m going with blue and black look anyway.
    I was just wondering cause cause I got the bed of my truck colour matched line-x, so I thought maybe line-x the cover too. But I’ll look more into it when I’m ready to order it.
    Thanks.

To Top