1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jeffw6236, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Aug 11, 2017 at 6:09 AM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Even if I didn't need or want hd cover, I'd go with the 400 lb capacity of the se all day long around a grand when compared to other covers non diamondback around same price. Imo no brainer.

NewImprovedRon and Shukidevdas like this.
  2. Aug 11, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Mine being crewmax I sideload. If u got dc u can rear. U choose between 9.5 and 12.5 folding ramps. I went 9.5 so can fold and close rear tail. But that makes incline hairy so I try n load coming down a hill to lessen incline. I use to race and jump sport quads but even with all that experience I gotta admit the incline of the 9.5 along with my very oversized rear tires with huge nubbys make it a scary experience since my tires could roll over side guide rails. If I had stock can am tires it wouldn't be as bad, still little nerve wracking I must admit though.20170409_173416.jpg

20170409_173432.jpg

3. Aug 11, 2017 at 1:07 PM
    niru316

niru316 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    I'm looking at DiamondBack's website comparing each one... When they say Max Panel Weight they mean the removable panels weigh 35lbs ya? and the Haul Capacity of 400lb means how much you can put on top of the cover? Cause GD why did i get the cover i have now when it was about the same price as this one! grrrr

AircareTundra likes this.
  4. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yes that is correct. That is exactly what I was saying in my other post. Even if I didn't need the HD cover for 1400lbs. I would have still got the SE. Looks same, covered in linex, just less tie downs think 4 or 6, but u can add more too if needed, and rated for 400lbs. I mean how many times if not hauling a quad on top or contractor picking up heavy material are u going to exceed 400 lbs? If u do u can always still use bed under cover. For all the benefits and extra shit u can do with it, I don't know why everyone wouldn't spend a couple more bucks and get the SE compared to all other covers on market. Imo, it wouldn't make any sense to me to not spend about the same amount of money as other covers and just get the SE version of the diamondback. To me, the tons of extra benefits it provides way more than justifies the what hundred, couple hundred bucks over all the other far inferior imo covers out there? Just to save a few bucks? Hey, I'm a big believer the older, wiser, and the more experience in life I get with each year that passes that you get what u pay for. Pony up the extra couple bucks and love your tonneau cover as opposed to saying I saved a couole hundred but can do this, cant do that, ect.

5. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Then again, i love the fact that not everyone has one of these. I wouldn't mind my fellow tundra owners all having 1 and loving it. I just don't want to be like everyone else and see them all over the big 3. Lol. Get it don't look back, either return or sell your existing cover, and join the club of very happy diamondback owners. I've never read a review of someone saying they didn't like theirs. Just saying.

NewImprovedRon, panicman and Tundrago like this.
  6. Aug 11, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    Damn nice looking covers!

7. Aug 11, 2017 at 5:35 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Np, always and anytime buddy. Always trying to help fellow tundra owners, especially the ones who are closely associated with us from dirty Jerz. If I can ever help in anyway don't hesitate to reach out. Ohh I'm sure 1 day u will return the favor when I need ur expertise and help on vehicle cleaning, products, wax, ect. Take care buddy.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  8. Aug 11, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    No I know Steve, and that was what I was referring to with saying closely associated to us from NJ. Aren't u his protege? If so, I'm guessing u know much more than me when it comes to stuff like that considering I don't know much if anything. Not my department there. I can help in a bunch of others but when it comes to stuff like that in clueless. This is the 1st vehicle I've ever owned that I truly care enough about to even consider those types of products. My previous vehicles would only ever get washed when it rained. Otherwise they were p.o.s that just got me A to B. Guess that's why I don't owe anything on this one now though. I'm so in love with this truck it's almost embarrassing. I guess that's what also happens as a result of driving garbage for so many years previously.

9. Aug 11, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    jeffw6236

jeffw6236 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM CrewMax 4x4
    That's what I was thinking. I looked at a bunch of them and this one seemed so much more capable for not a lot more money. When you think of the life of the truck it's really not much more.

10. Aug 11, 2017 at 7:20 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Took the letters I typed earlier today without knowing u would say this later and basically says same exact thing.

11. Aug 11, 2017 at 7:34 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I'm taking a wild guess here but since u got a 17 I'm guessing that the cover u got is not that old? Am I correct in that? If so, have u looked into a satisfaction money back guarantee either from manufacturer or distributor? I know a place like auto anything is usually good about returns and stuff like that. They also just started carrying the se version. Perhaps u can make up an excuse or reason of why u are not happy with ur current cover and want ur money back. When they say they can't tell them u will be reasonable and will be happy if u can just exchange it for a DB SE cover. Tell them u will pay difference in cost, shipping, restock, ect... whatever u will be enough incentive for them to do it for u and make u both happy. Lots of places are beginning to carry their covers. U may not be able to get a hd version with side rails, black paint, and atv package. However, I notice them expanding their business by offering the se version to many more distribution channels than back when I got mine. Worth a shit, nothing to lose, who knows maybe u get lucky. I'd try like hell if it was me. I've been know to pull off crazy shit like that. Shit people would never think possible. Keep in mind good businesses want u to be happy. Long as u not being a jerk and being reasonable about it make it worth it to them to do for u. Promise reviews and everything else u got to do. Good luck, let us know how u make out with it all.

12. Aug 12, 2017 at 5:11 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    I rear-load with the 12' ramps. Like mgm16trdpro mentioned, it's nice to have a slope to lessen some of the ramp angle. The first couple times I unloaded were scary as hell until I figured out the trick. I was staring forward (while driving backward) which means into nothing but blue sky. I figured out that keeping my eyes on the tires/ramps during the descent made all the difference in the world.

Ramps.jpg

One nice advantage to rear-loading is that I have room on the sides to carry my ramps on top of the tonneau instead of taking up space inside the box. As an FYI to anyone considering getting one of these with the ATV carrier and also the cross bin that I pictured in my earlier post, Diamondback makes two depths of cross bins, 8" and 13". The deeper bin sits too low for the folded ramps to fit underneath it inside the truck box, so they would have to be carried on top if you go that route unless you have the 8' bed.

Trip Load.jpg

13. Aug 12, 2017 at 8:10 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Nice. When I park next to any non lifted truck it looks like my truck will eat it up. Starting with 2 inch pro suspension lift, plus adding 2 shim+3 shackle, along with 295 tires, and 9.5 ft ramps with big oversize atv tires. I must admit it pretty fn hairy loading quad. It would probably be a little sketchy without all the extra height and pitch. Good thing I'm pretty fearless on quad bc a beginner would either never attempt or if did prob either fall off or least shit themselves. Lol. If got dc see get 12.5 ft ramps.

14. Aug 20, 2017 at 6:54 PM
    Aobraz

Aobraz New Member

Member:
    Hi all.
    I've been looking at getting a diamondback cover and was wondering if anybody has installed a roof rack on theirs. I'm not going to be hauling around an ATV but want to mount bike racks, a cargo box, and maybe a roof top tent.

I'd like to avoid drilling holes in the cover if possible (more areas to leak), but don't know if Thule/Yakima/etc setups can be mounted some other way.

Any advice from those with the cover is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jeffw6236[OP] likes this.
  15. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:29 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Great choice, haven't mounted 1 myself, but I think I recall it being a possibility. I think someone had the vertical shafts going on inside of bed, then cover closed over, then they fabricated a metal horizontal piece to top of vehicle shaft in bed, then the verticle began again outside of being able to open cover. Try doing a search, I think I recall seeing one. If no luck there u might want to call diamondback directly. Their staff is very knowledgeable and most use their own product. They're all the outdoor type so chances are if 1 of them don't have it themselves they probably know someone who has done what ur looking to do. I am almost positive what ur looking to do would be a custom rack build. The 1 I think I remember seeing was a custom build and I'm pretty sure the mass produced racks would not work. They do make the covers around bed tool boxes with bunch of different configurations. Being the case I'm pretty sure u can tell them what u looking to do and they can point u in right direction. Good luck. I've definitely seen them with custom back racks and headache bars built around their covers, that's same principle. That I'm positive I've seen and pretty sure saw what u looking to do too somewhere out there in Google world.

16. Aug 21, 2017 at 5:50 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    I originally kept the cargo bars from my previous truck's fiberglass shell for this exact reason. I planned to mount them on my Diamondback for RTT camping. My only route would have been to drill and I was fine with that. In the end, I decided I was tired of climbing ladders to get in/out of the RTT so sold it and moved on to trailer camping. I ended up giving away the bars so never actually got around to mounting them on my tonneau, but it's certainly doable if you do opt to drill.

17. Aug 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM
    warwickscout

warwickscout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tommy
    warwick ny
    Vehicle:
    16 pro
    tint 295/70/18 terras iron cross hd steps.wheel spacers,nder seat storage,l.e.d lights cut into rear bumper,spacers,
    how does the pro handle with the extra weight that high on the bed

18. Aug 21, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    KOZ

KOZ New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Regular Cab
    TRD Supercharger TRD Lowering Springs TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar URD Pulley 2.345" TRD 22" Wheels SOS 2.5"/4.5" Lowering Kit StopTech Big Brakes Front & Rear JBA Headers JBA Cat Delete w/O2 Sims Dirty Deeds Budget Dump
    These look awesome!

19. Aug 21, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Hey Tommy, hope all is well. You can tell it's there but it don't handle bad. I also guess that the cb shackles/shims along with sway bar help as well.

20. Aug 21, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    RockLbstr2011

RockLbstr2011 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax
  21. Aug 21, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Looking good, I think that's the se version. That's what I would put the extra couple bucks to get over any other regular tonneau cover if I didn't have what I got. Still holds 400 lbs which dwarfs most other covers. Great choice and looks great. Imo males truck look mean, certainly is tough.

RockLbstr2011[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Aug 22, 2017 at 10:25 AM
    warwickscout

warwickscout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tommy
    warwick ny
    Vehicle:
    16 pro
    tint 295/70/18 terras iron cross hd steps.wheel spacers,nder seat storage,l.e.d lights cut into rear bumper,spacers,
    hey we have to do some riding.gotta get the can am dirty

23. Aug 22, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Sounds good, only prob I got now is son's football season and daddy is coaching. We can still make it happen though, just has to be around that which is damn near 5-6 days/week. I got cascade lake trails by me and I'm sure there's plenty places by u too.

Bones2012 likes this.
  24. Aug 22, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    warwickscout

warwickscout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tommy
    warwick ny
    Vehicle:
    16 pro
    that's funny .I coach my sons football.aug 1st start.d2 5th and 6 graders

Bones2012 likes this.
  25. Aug 22, 2017 at 2:10 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Lucky u, we've been at it for 3 weeks already. That's for kids going into 3 and 4. I'm running defense but don't really get say in how often n much we practice lol.

Bones2012 likes this.
  26. Aug 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    jeffw6236

jeffw6236 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM CrewMax 4x4
    My Diamondback cover came today!

It showed up in a big truck!

IMG_0160.jpg

And was packed in a big box strapped to a pallet....

IMG_0161.jpg

I decided to go ahead and open it up. There's a hurricane headed this way today and I had to get this thing out of my driveway.

It was well packaged. Just like they say in their videos.

IMG_0164.jpg IMG_0170.jpg

The center piece clamps right into the bed rails - Unistrut in my case. Note - these are not tightened up just yet.

IMG_0172.jpg

And looks pretty badass on my truck!

It's going to get a good weather test this weekend as Harvey bears down on South Texas.

IMG_0175.jpg IMG_0176.jpg

27. Aug 25, 2017 at 7:47 PM
    Tundrago

Tundrago New Member

Member:
    Nashville area
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 upgrade. TRD
    Man I can't wait for mine. Looks good man

28. Aug 26, 2017 at 6:47 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Looking good! Congrats!

29. Aug 26, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170805_170028.jpg
    Congrats, I actually prefer look of ur cover without the rails. I didn't have a choice though since wanted ability to throw quad up without needing my big ass tandem 17ft trailer. It don't look bad on mine imo with tails but I prefer the look of cover without. Good luck u will love it.

equin, Y0TA PR0 and aperezsh like this.
  30. Aug 28, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    RockLbstr2011

RockLbstr2011 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax
    Very nice looking truck!

Diamondback- hurricane proof!? Now you can wax your roof no problem... :bananadance:

hi_rawb and NewImprovedRon like this.
To Top