1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jeffw6236, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Dec 13, 2018 at 2:11 PM
    MGM

MGM New Member

Member:
    I never questioned the quality of the product although the underside being bare aluminum while the top isn’t is kinda cheap but that’s another story. Being able to haul 1,600 lbs like the HD is guality and the top of it looks very nice. But when so many people are having trouble with a straightforward install and others suggesting you need two people to properly install then I have a problem. This is built on the truck bed of your request so after R&D you think they have where it’s built per bed spec and ready for install. Unless it says on the manual somewhere you need two people to install or adjustments during and after install. Otherwise paying $1800 for a headache install is not fine engineering. I understand some things need a break in period like a pair of shoes but does don’t cost $1800. Excuse my derail/rant. I may even buy one of my own in the future as I like the look.

2018TundraLimited likes this.
  2. Dec 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    It's probably not the right product for you.

Bones2012, rodm1 and NoMoTaco like this.
  3. Dec 13, 2018 at 2:28 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Don't let our posts about "adjustments" scare you from getting one! The whole cover is super easy to adjust. It's three separate pieces, with the center piece being the one from which the other two are hinged. The cab and tailgate pieces, the ones that open, are closed and locked by adjustable rods. You can adjust the height of the rods to tighten or loosen each cover piece to your heart's content. But if you tighten the cover down too much, as I suspect I may have done, you have to really press down on it hard to open and close. To me, it's a good way for the user to decide how tight or loose he/she may want their cover. But it's in no way difficult or time-consuming to do. I had already adjusted mine two times during installation. I just have to re-adjust it again to get it just right for my needs.

Also, DB's customer service is great. I got my cover shipped super fast, much faster than I thought. But it sat at the local carrier's transfer station for way too long, and the carrier missed two delivery dates - dates the carrier agreed to when I contacted them for delivery to my home. I knew shipping and delivery were out of DB's hands once it left their shop, but I emailed them anyway to let them know. I immediately got a response from DB, who then contacted the carrier's urgent customer care rep. I not only got my cover the very next day, DB gave me a partial refund of $150 for my troubles. Wow! Most vendors would just tell the customer to deal with the carrier themselves, that it's not their problem. But not only did DB go to bat for me, they gave me a partial refund for the hassle!

Anyway, I really like my DB. The kid loves it, too - he even helped me install it - and we plan to use it as a platform to fish and shoot bows and arrows from!

Bones2012 and aperezsh like this.
  4. Dec 13, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Install was super easy, but I've R&R'ed transmissions, axles, jeep bodies, suspensions, etc., so what may be easy to some can be difficult for others. Also, I'm a middle-aged (50+) skinny guy who's studly days are long past, but I found it easy to install each 35 lb cover piece on my own. My 5-year old son helped me by handing me a 9/16" wrench for the center piece bolts. Some say it helps to have someone press down on each outer piece when adjusting and setting the rods, but I put an old car battery and a 35 lb kettle bell on top and did it myself. I think I made a mistake, though, when I later had my 52 lb son sit on each corner to further tighten and adjust the rods, but like I said, it can still be done by one person if you're comfortable with tools and minor mechanics.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Borgs and mgm16trdpro like this.
  5. Dec 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    I don't recall many people having a problem with the install. Imo it installs pretty easily, like 30 min easy. Like @Borgs said, it's the fine tuning and little adjustments that aren't required, but get you the most out your expensive product.

It does say those things in manual. If I remember correctly, it's been years, it says although not required it makes it much easier to install with a second pair of hands. 1 person putting weight on top while other tightens down. It also does say in the manual to make adjustments as the product settles in. Again not required, but to have your hinges open easily and for a water tight seal it does suggest in the manual to make these small adjustments.

Like I said I put mine on 2 years ago. Installed in 30 min with help of a friend and haven't touched since, except for using the hell out of it.

I can also tell you this, if u ever do run into ANY issue, the people there will go way above and beyond to make it right for u. It wasn't their fault I had super huge quad tires so when I loaded my quad on it I couldn't get ramp out bc the tires pinched the ramp and rail. I called them and they sent me out risers that they sell for free.

Customer service is huge for me, and they are top notch when it comes to that. Trust me, they know you spending big bucks on their product and all they want for you is to be happy with it after you spend that kind of money. No 2 people have exact same trucks, use a, ect. Theres too many variables, but 1 thing I can guarantee you, if you run into an issue, any issue, they gonna do whatever they can to make you happy. That's been my experience and I've spoke with them a handful of times. Every single time they went above and beyond to make sure they took care of me.

6. Dec 13, 2018 at 2:57 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    This company has amazing customer service, I just received some free replacement hardware the other day.

I see nothing wrong with a self-improved 2p install method to get a better seal. Naturally it’s gonna be harder to open and close, it’s a floating cover on less than perfectly true rails being clamped and pulled down from underneath. It doesn’t help we have factory rake and some of us may alter it with lifts, shackles, springs whatnot. Water entry points will change.

There is also nothing wrong with installing it using the single person method. It's the nature of the aftermarket beast trying to adapt, the choice is up to you how tight it fits.

equin and mgm16trdpro like this.
  7. Dec 13, 2018 at 3:13 PM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
    Man they look so good. I cant wait, still need funds.

equin likes this.
  8. Dec 13, 2018 at 4:26 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
  9. Dec 13, 2018 at 4:27 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    Love that picture! Hope you don't mind me copying your photo idea when we get our tree.

10. Dec 13, 2018 at 4:32 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    9906E116-A2B4-48FD-8D5C-581196CFA36D.jpg 9051E2CF-AADA-4BE4-A0FB-44FFAB5C1674.jpg 65C1C900-467D-4BF9-8D71-5033AB3F6CCD.jpg 9051E2CF-AADA-4BE4-A0FB-44FFAB5C1674.jpg
    Don’t be crazy!
    9906E116-A2B4-48FD-8D5C-581196CFA36D.jpg

ToyoD, Bones2012, aperezsh and 4 others like this.
  11. Dec 13, 2018 at 4:34 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I installed mine myself, but I recall using 50 lb. dumbbells and some bags of sand to weigh it down so I could clamp it (only to then realize I had it on too tight). That was also the most work those 50 lb. dumbbells have had in a LONG LONG time.

12. Dec 13, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    TMMTX

TMMTX New Member

Member:
    None
    I did the same.

Installed by myself...pretty easy minus a couple scary moments where I thought I might have scratched the truck with the cover panel.

I installed the panels in reverse of the instructions—front to back. Then I loosened the rods, locked the locks, adjusted the rods, weighted the top, and tightened up the lock adjustment brackets. Oh wait...installed the bulkhead rubber too and the bucket.

Done.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    rideandfly and equin like this.
  13. Dec 15, 2018 at 6:55 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    My neighbor just got a Tacoma. He loved my DB so much he just ordered a chrome one. Smart man.

rideandfly and mgm16trdpro like this.
  14. Dec 15, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    MGM

MGM New Member

Member:
    Anyone here interested in a snugtop xtra vision 3rd generation Crew Max Tundra for 2,100. The front window opens and has shocks to hold up.
    I've been debating getting one myself as I don’t see any other cover I’m interested in but first need to sell my snug top.

15. Dec 15, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Pics I'm sure would assist in your possible sale. I don't mind u putting it here but just a fyi, less people will see it here than in the buy sell trade section. Actually, posting here and the other places will help. The more exposure and listings the greater chance someone will come across and be of interest. Just be sure to follow rules or admin will delete post if not. Glws.

16. Dec 15, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    MGM

MGM New Member

Member:
    I can’t make a sell thread yet and it would be much easier if someone was in the PNW area so I could drive to them so they could check it out themselves.but when I can make a sell thread I will make one.

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  17. Dec 15, 2018 at 8:25 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Why don't You like your snug brother? Looks bad a.

18. Dec 15, 2018 at 8:30 PM
    MGM

MGM New Member

Member:
    Snugtop is dope. No problems with it. I just like the look of a flat cover on my truck. Especially because I have a pro. If I don’t find a buyer then no biggie because it’s not like I don’t like it. I just want that look. Well to go into detail I do have some problems with the quality of the side windows not sliding well and the front window not closing well either but I imagine they have someone making minimum wage assembling these. I can always take it back to the dealer for adjustments which I have. End thread derail..

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  19. Dec 22, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC TRD OR Silver

20. Dec 22, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    +1, the bare underside is an excellent reflector for any lighting installed, finished black would swallow light (deja vu, I know I've said that before somewhere).
    All I got is a thin magnetic LED light bar by the pulley, the pic doesn't do it justice due to dynamic range shown on an image, it's actually pretty lit to the end of the cab and all I need.

IMG_6770.jpg

21. Dec 22, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    Same set up with light.

JoshuaA and equin like this.
  22. Dec 22, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    I need to get one of those LED lights. I will say that when I open the cab panel and turn on the factory top bed light (by the third brake light), surprisingly enough it reflects a decent amount of light in the bed. Granted, it’s not better than the LED lights, but I was surprised by that. So having the unpainted aluminum underside panels is a plus in that regard.

NoMoTaco likes this.
  23. Dec 22, 2018 at 7:46 PM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    equin likes this.
  24. Dec 22, 2018 at 8:15 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Probably $20 on Amazon.com, motion activated or it’s easy just to turn on/off yourself, what I do. I did replace the double sided tape with better 3M stuff.

666E4BB7-6568-4190-AE2B-8B2B953AF8CF.jpg

mgm16trdpro and equin like this.
  25. Dec 22, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
  26. Dec 22, 2018 at 8:33 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
  27. Dec 23, 2018 at 1:56 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I've had for almost 2 years and only changed the rear batteries once not long ago. That's with using them quite often. I also decided to use this setup due to those rare times that a panel of the DB cover needs to be removed to fit the object vertically in bed. Just remove side of cover and good to go. No need to mess with wires or anything else, just slide off cover to side and good.
    20180617_012734.jpg

equin, rideandfly and Borgs[QUOTED] like this.
  28. Dec 23, 2018 at 3:17 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Looks great brother. I got a quick 1 for ya. How hard was it to replace all the hinges and screws with the blacked out ones? I have all the hardware to do all of it. Just haven't had the time to get into it. I'm guessing not hard to do, just a bit time consuming? How long it take assuming it's not hard to replace?

29. Dec 23, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Haven’t done mine yet! That will be a spring project, unless we get another nice day. I used the decent weather this weekend to wash and detail both vehicles. I don’t think it should take very long - looks simple so long as the rusted bolts come out easily.

mgm16trdpro[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Dec 23, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Oh ok, thought I saw in your pic before black hinges so I assumed u did it already.

To Top