1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback SD or HD

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by mech_engineer09, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Oct 31, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    mech_engineer09

mech_engineer09 [OP] Tundra Enthusiast

Member:
    Ohio/Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    Ceramic Pro, XPEL Ultimate Plus, Woolwax Undercoating, Diamondback HD, TRD Air Intake, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar
    Trying to decide between the 2, just seems like the HD is overkill because it can hold as much as the payload of the crew max. But has anyone bought the SD and regretted it because they ended up wanting/needing to put more than 400 lbs on it?

2. Nov 1, 2019 at 4:29 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    No issues yet, if I did buy another quad some day I'd prefer to just take the cover off over carrying it on top on a half ton. I could see using the extra tie downs long before wanting to use the carrying capacity.

mech_engineer09[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 1, 2019 at 4:39 AM
    Devildog183

Devildog183 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CM 4x4 2007 SR5 DC 4x4
    I went with the hd, I don’t remember the cost difference between the two. I’m a builder so the chance of me throwing a load on top is likely. What I’ll tell you is the hd is built like a tank, my thoughts are better to have and not need it then need it and not have it. Good luck, it’s the best cover I’ve ever owned, and when it’s all locked up it’s like a vault. No ones getting in without a lot of work!

4. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:17 AM
    MJoeP

MJoeP New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 1794
    2016 Tundra 1794 DiamondBack ATV Tonneau Cover 7" BDS Lift 20" Fuel Krank Wheels 37X13.50X20 Toyo Open Country M/T
    I bought the HD. I can stand on it and wash the top of my truck without worrying about it caving in on me. I don't intend to haul an ATV on it, but the thought that "I can" if I wanted is a nice feeling.

5. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:47 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    I have an SD. I have never wished I had the HD. I take cover off to Haul heavy loads. I do wish the SD had all of the cleats the HD has. I have been meaning to add some cleats to aid in securing loads placed on cover. I stand on the SD all the time. No flex.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    equin and mech_engineer09[OP] like this.
  6. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    MJoeP

MJoeP New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 1794
    2016 Tundra 1794 DiamondBack ATV Tonneau Cover 7" BDS Lift 20" Fuel Krank Wheels 37X13.50X20 Toyo Open Country M/T
  7. Nov 1, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    mech_engineer09

Member:
    Ohio/Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    Ceramic Pro, XPEL Ultimate Plus, Woolwax Undercoating, Diamondback HD, TRD Air Intake, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar
    That’s kind of a reason I’m leaning towards the HD. This is my first truck so I haven’t hauled anything yet, but I’m sure I’ll find a bunch of stuff to use it for. I’m leaning towards the rather be safe than sorry group and just get the HD and have the peace of mind to have the higher capacity.

Luckydog[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Nov 1, 2019 at 3:07 PM
    Burdturger

Burdturger New Member

Member:
    I was in your position a few weeks back and decided to order the sd. I just didn't see the value in spending 400 more for something I didn't think I'd ever need. No regrets so far but in the last few days I started to wonder if camping with a Rtt would be fun. The hd would have been better for that so now if I end up getting one I'll have to look into some different options that will work with my current set up.

9. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    mech_engineer09

Member:
    Ohio/Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    thats another reason I think I’m just gonna go with the HD. I can see myself getting one of those roof top tents in the future and people have done some pretty cool things using the diamondback and rails.

10. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:59 PM
    mech_engineer09

Member:
    Ohio/Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    Yeah I’ve been checking. Unfortunately none yet for the crew max. I check daily. You know if they ever have any sales for like Black Friday or anything?

11. Nov 1, 2019 at 6:08 PM
    Devildog183

Devildog183 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CM 4x4 2007 SR5 DC 4x4
    Thy offer a generous discount if your a veteran.

12. Nov 3, 2019 at 3:21 AM
    Burdturger

Burdturger New Member

Member:
    10% off is the best deal I could find

13. Nov 3, 2019 at 3:38 AM
    cpc0812

cpc0812 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement 4 X 4 CM
    If you are patient and not in a hurry, keep checking the outlet. I got an HD in black that looks perfect to me for the price of an SE. The HD is worth it. Like stated earlier, it is built like a tank.

Luckydog likes this.
  14. Nov 3, 2019 at 4:24 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    I bought mine in the outlet as well. Now that I think back, I would have probably gotten the HD if it was available in the outlet. My unit was previously installed and supposedly had a couple minor blems. I never could find the issues in the rhino liner, or whatever they use. There was a couple rusty washers under the screw cleats, and the gasket did not seal perfectly being previously installed. Minor leaking at car wash. I did get a new gasket set for around $75 after almost 2 years of owning it. Still leaks a little, but not enough to bother me. I would order new gaskets if I ordered from the outlet again. The big cross bin iis fantastic! Keeps the cab clutter free, and all of your tools etc, readily available.

15. Nov 3, 2019 at 4:35 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Our trucks are probably limited more payload than the capacity of our tonneau cover. I am reluctant to put my truck on a scale. After passengers, tools, gear, sliders, tonneau, bumpers, skid plats, etc, I doubt I could put any weight on tonneau. We all do, but “technically”...

16. Nov 3, 2019 at 4:42 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    Went to the dump one time where they weigh the entire truck and I was only like 100 lbs from max GVWR and it wasn't like it was heavy construction debris. A few large bags were light stuff that took up room. Kinda blew me away how close I got with that trip since it had all my safety stuff and a passenger, and what I thought wasn't a lot of garbage.

Luckydog[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Nov 3, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    Blak80k

Blak80k New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro Crewmax
    Stock (for now)
    Thanks for posting this link. I was about to pull the trigger on the SE this morning but I may hold out for an HD if I can find one in black soon. Didn't know they had an outlet page.

Products Discussed in

To Top