1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback or MX4

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Cmack1388, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Oct 6, 2018 at 1:16 AM
    Cmack1388

Cmack1388 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    None
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2018 Crewmax that needs a tonneau cover but I'm torn between the Diamondback SE or the MX4. I've read a lot of info on this forum and got some mixed reviews. I work at a dealer and we sell the MX4, so I was leaning towards that but read they have leak issues. Haven't really read anything bad about the Diamondback. So I'm wondering should I bite the bullet and get Diamondback or MK4. Any info on both products would be greatly appreciated

Y0TA PR0 likes this.
  2. Oct 6, 2018 at 2:52 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Tough choice. I like both. The edge for me goes to D Back but you no doubt can get a real good deal on the MK4.

3. Oct 6, 2018 at 3:20 AM
    usmchawk

usmchawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Double Cab Limited TRD Off Road - Super White
    TRD Rear Sway Bar Red Interior LEDs Console Safe Victory Rock Sliders Pop n Lock BakFlip4 Bed Mat Led reverse lights Fumoto valve
    It really depends on how you intend to use it. I'm a fan of the BakFlip as I need to have full access to the bed at times and I don't want to remove the cover. I don't have a diamondback, but from what I've seen, it predominantly has two hinged panels and you cannot gain full access to the bed without removing the cover. If you don't have the need for full access, the Diamondback looks good and it appears much more rugged.

Law323 likes this.
  4. Oct 6, 2018 at 3:30 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I have the MX4, and it does leak some. Not a huge deal, and I think most covers do. I’m happy with it.

I also prefer the flush look. I don’t like how the Diamondback looks.

5. Oct 6, 2018 at 4:14 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    I hated my MX4. I thought it was a piece of junk. I love my Diamondback HD, so I assume you will love the SE. For as expensive as the MX4 is, it is junk and no comparison to Diamondback.

6. Oct 6, 2018 at 4:52 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    I really like my DB SE. I added the deep toolbox. It is a great combination that I expect will last the lifetime of the truck.

7. Oct 6, 2018 at 4:55 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    My DB does leak, but I got a used unit from DB. The seals came compressed, and i have not got around to replacing. Still love the cover and the security and function.

8. Oct 6, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    Steve6

Steve6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road
    I have the Diamondback SE. It doesn't leak. The full bed access for cargo isn't a factor for me since I have the option of carrying stuff on top of the cover on rare the occasion that i need to carry large items. I like the way that it allows split access to the bed and the optional Diamondback tool box. I also like the way it looks except for the cargo tie downs; I think that they look awkward and I've been thinking about replacing them with something more streamlined.

9. Oct 6, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    Good point on the tool box. I have the 8 inch bun box as well. So awesome. And you can’t use a box or rails with the MX4.

10. Oct 7, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    Cmack1388

Cmack1388 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    None
    Thanks for the input guys. I emailed DB to see if they sell to a dealership directly at wholesale prices. Hoping I can save a couple bucks.

11. Oct 7, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    WELCOME!!

Diamondback!! :headbang:

Products Discussed in