1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diabetic diet questions.

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by CPdaddy, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Jan 25, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    CPdaddy

CPdaddy [OP] Why am I so tired

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra CrewMax Limited
    Boss 3" Lift, TRD Dual Exhaust, S&B Intake, TRD Rear Sway, 285/75r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Fuel Beast Wheels, SPC upper control arm, Rough Country front bumper with LED bar and dual lights on each side, Rear bumper blackout covers, Go Rhino running boards, Morimoto XB Headlights, HIRev LED Tail Lights
    Hey there. So all my life I’ve had to get checked for diabetes since it runs in my family. Just found out a month ago that I do in fact have it. I’ve been struggling with diet restrictions, since it’s basically a keto style plan. I’m really getting tired of eggs and green veggies. Granted, I can eat bacon, steak and other delicious things. Just wanted to ask if anyone else out there is going through this and see what creative things you are doing for meals. If I am forced with another salad I’m going to lose it.

2. Jan 25, 2020 at 9:39 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    I’m sorry to hear brother

How long have you been doing a keto diet? Just the 1 month since the diagnosis?

3. Jan 25, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    CPdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Boss 3" Lift, TRD Dual Exhaust, S&B Intake, TRD Rear Sway, 285/75r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Fuel Beast Wheels, SPC upper control arm, Rough Country front bumper with LED bar and dual lights on each side, Rear bumper blackout covers, Go Rhino running boards, Morimoto XB Headlights, HIRev LED Tail Lights
    Yeah. I’m a fairly healthy human. I exercise regularly and don’t really eat that bad. The doc recommended keto since my A1C levels were so high. Just checking what other peeps might be doing in the same situation. My wife has been all these recipes she found online, but for anyone who’s tried it, it’s just not the same. Good thing I like chicken wings and jerky. Lol.

MS22 likes this.
  4. Jan 25, 2020 at 9:49 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Ive done low carb for a couple of years for the most part.

I was pretty strict keto for the first 6 months or so and I felt great, but once i started focusing more on protein i felt much better. Traditional keto is pretty low in protein overall, which works for some, not me.

If you’ve only been going a month, just hang in there. It’s really around day 100 that you really notice how great you feel. We eat higher carb for so many years that it takes a while for our bodies to fully fat adapt.

Wynnded, MS22 and Sunnier like this.
  5. Jan 25, 2020 at 9:52 PM
    CPdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man. This is driving me crazy. I super hate salads at this point.

6. Jan 25, 2020 at 10:57 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    Look up Dr. Gundry and Dr. Fung. So far following their studies work for our lifestyle, especially for my wife who have been overweight, with hypertension, leaky gut syndrome, and diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Just by fasting alone (not eating in a 16 hr window) helped her hypertension and her BM. She even did a 72 hr detox fasting from time to time. And she lost 38 lbs from when she started after summer. But she just really started monitoring and logging her weight since December. She just said she lost 12 lbs during the last 20 days.

Plant Paradox and Keto diet is what we've been adapting. But fasting is the easiest in my opinion since you don't have to count calories. LOL! Black coffee, Water with iodize sea salt for the electrolytes, black tea will your food while fasting.

It's even easier form me because I typically eat only one meal a day during the work week and that was actually healthy.

Hope you get better Tom! You can have healthy fats too. You do not have to be a vegan/vegetarian. We went out Friday night for dinner to a Brazilian steak house and it's perfectly fine. Just stay away from carbs.

Bdebs and MS22 like this.
  7. Jan 25, 2020 at 11:08 PM
    CPdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Thank you!! I will take a look at what you suggested. My A1C was at 12.6 so basically jacked. Lol. But I’ve watched my whole family deal over the years. Kinda getting tired of stabbing my fingers all the time. I hope the best for you and your wife on your journey as well.

8. Jan 25, 2020 at 11:15 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    You'll be hangry most of the time, just let your family know, it's only temporary. Your body and your mind just have to get reprogrammed and rebooted. We have been putting a lot of crap in out body since we were born and it will take time.

whodatschrome and FrenchToasty like this.
  9. Jan 26, 2020 at 12:41 AM
    somadbamos

somadbamos Dude, you're being totally undude.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Idiot Out Wandering Around
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax w/ Attitude
    Check out ketoconnect.net they have a lot of interesting stuff. Here is a top 10 recipe book from 2017 they put together. Also, check out some of the low carb conferences on youtube.

On a side note, my mothers vision was worsening. Turned out to be the onset of diabetes. Put on insulin and metformin for management. I talked her in to giving keto a try. She is no longer on either and was able come off bp meds as well.

Best of luck! The lifestyle isn't bad, its just the change from all the stuff you used to eat.

Attached Files:

Sunnier, CPdaddy[OP] and MS22 like this.
  10. Jan 26, 2020 at 2:16 AM
    zombie

zombie Master at Something

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black DC 4x4
    My Mom died last year due to complications from this and I myself was at risk. I started changing my diet about 10 years ago when I almost died from intestinal complications. Now at 52 I'm healthier than I've ever been. First thing I did is give up certain foods. No processed foods, no fast foods, no sugar, no dairy, no bread. The only dairy I had was aged cheddar cheese. I drink some milk now, but from the farm. All my meats come from the farm. Fresh veg is good, but frozen is fine, no cans. Get in the habit of reading labels. Now this is just what I did for me, and I like simple. I refuse to be on meds, I dont watch any doctor shows or all that online bullshit. I dont like advice, I like proof. Look at other healthy cultures and see how they live. Our food sucks in America, it's all corporate run, support your local farms. Now I happen to be an EX- chef at a 3 star restaurant, that was my night job, I was full time mechanic by day. So now the key is to come up with delicious meals from a small source. 2 key factors, moisture and flavor. I'm not a salad guy either, once in awhile it's ok. It's mostly chicken, then pork and beef in that order. I live on the ocean, so scallops and lobster some times. So now that you asked>>>>>> 6 hour chicken thighs: Turn oven on at 450, lay chicken thighs in shallow pan, pour cooking sherry over the chicken or white wine and or olive oil, or just olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Now add any spice you want. I do loaded spice with garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, cayenne powder, mustard powder, real ancho chili powder, and finish with smoked paprika. Some lighter than others, and you can do this anyway you want, create different flavors so it's not the same all the time. You can do other toppings, like mustard, BBQ sauces. Now at 450, cover the pan with a cover if using a dutch oven or aluminium foil, heavy duty, dont use the cheap crap. Stick it in, wait 10 minutes, turn the oven down to 170, set timer for 6 hours and see you at dinner time. I use a steamer for my veg, and cook potatoes in the bottom part, so easy dinner. I only use olive oil or bacon grease for my cooking oils. All my pans are cast iron. I hope this helps and influences you. The picture shown is just leftovers for lunch, slow cooked pork roast with homemade hot sauce from my garden.

20191213_115740.jpg

NoRcptn, TundraDude18 and CPdaddy[OP] like this.
  11. Jan 26, 2020 at 3:25 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    I would say then that salads aren’t worth the headache then. Adherence to a diet is helped by enjoying a diet. I stopped eating salads a year ago because i found them boring and unnecessary. No protein. Stick with cruciferus vegetables and youll be good. If you’re super hungry make sure you’re getting enough fats in your meals

Wynnded likes this.
  12. Jan 26, 2020 at 5:04 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    I bounce back and forth on keto. It does work, but after a month of dedicated keto I go nuts, literally I cant handle it any more.

When I on keto I burn myself out on eggs even bacon etc.

Making some BBQ today, pulled pork, good luck to all.

CPdaddy[OP] likes this.
  13. Jan 26, 2020 at 5:05 AM
    Slayer

Slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Slayer
    I was diagnosed with diabetes about 15 years ago.
    At 1st it was tough.
    It took me about a year to discover what foods affected me the worst & eliminated them. Everyone is different.
    1 teaspoon of rice would send me into orbit while potatoes, I can eat a fair amount. other people are just the opposite.

I eat smaller portions of whole foods more frequently. absolutely no sweets. & I'm never hungry.

forget the fad diets & going vegan.

Learn the rules of eating & count the carbs then time them properly.
    you should eat smaller portions every 3-4 hours so blood sugar won't spike.
    1 carb per meal as in this example...
    1 slice of bread.
    1 apple
    1 orange
    3/4 cup of potatoes, pasta, ect

I also started walking 30 minutes after I got home from work. I found this to be my peaceful - happy time.
    Don't worry about how far or hard. It's about time. You will naturally pick up your own pace.
    This will put your glucose into the largest muscle mass in your body & spend it.

You got this.

after 2 years my body reset & I got off the drugs.
    although I still have to maintain the rules

my brother & mother on the other hand. double shoot them selves with insulin so they can eat some cake.
    They both have complications

Hopefully, this offers you some help.
    ..Slayer

Skey44, Festerw, Pinay and 2 others like this.
  14. Jan 26, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    CPdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. I’ll take a look

15. Jan 26, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    CPdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

16. Jan 26, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    CPdaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Thank you!!

17. Jan 26, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Almonds, pork rinds, and cheese for snacks.

Make some fat bombs using latanko monkfruit sweetener. Or buy yourself some Lilly's chocolate bars. They are amazing. We usually split one for dessert.
    15800573962727065067857572725550.jpg 15800574424727895934633776363145.jpg

Make yourself some pulled pork tacos using these guys
    1580057499726218103503115729108.jpg

TundraDude18 likes this.
  18. Jan 26, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    somadbamos

somadbamos Dude, you're being totally undude.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Idiot Out Wandering Around
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax w/ Attitude
    Low carb pizza!

Screenshot_20181225-095242_Reddit.jpg

Sunnier, Skey44, Wynnded and 3 others like this.
  19. Jan 26, 2020 at 9:46 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    That lilly’s chocolate is in very high in carbs for a diabetic...

My experience was to adapt your body, dont try and trick yourself with fake sweetness. You wont fix your brains urges to have sugar

Wynnded likes this.
  20. Jan 26, 2020 at 9:46 AM
    muledawg

muledawg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Indianapolis,IN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Metallic TRD CM
    I was diagnosed at age 40. Fought the tiredness & numbness in my fingers for a couple years. I was tired all the time. My glucose was 485 when I checked it at my dads finally. Immediately got in to a Dr. and was treated for Type 2 (A1C 13.1) Put me on Metformin, I am 6’1 252lbs at the time and I lost 50 lbs and Numbers never got better so changed doctors. He done some kind of test and informed me that I was a Type 1 (insulin dependent). Pancreas was not making enough insulin. He said he sees more and more adults being onset Type 1. That being said, learn to read labels, portion your food, measure helpings, your body does need Carbs to fuel it but the right ones and right amount. Exercise also makes a difference, take in the right amount of calories. Exercise acts as a shot of insulin for me, Cardio lowers your blood glucose. Recommend seeing a dietician. I like to eat and it’s a struggle. Never was big on sweets til I became diabetic. Lol. Being diabetic is a PITA ugh!! Last A1C 6.8

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    TundraDude18 likes this.
  21. Jan 26, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    Elduder

Elduder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ive been on a low carb diet, keto, and carnivore style diet on and off for years. I have an undiagnosed but very real intolerance to having too many carbohydrates in my diet. After a certain point, if my daily consumption is too high I begin to experience bloating and inflammation in my intestinal tract, similar to crohns. The bloating leads to a whole host of other side effects including irregular heart beats like PVCs and PACs.

As a result Ive gone through periods lasting up to 2yrs at a time of eating <50g of carbs a day. Currently for the last year now Ive been closer to <20g a day.

True keto is a bit of a misunderstood approach, as most simply ditch all carbs and dont regulate protien intake. It works, but falls into a "low carb high fat" diet.

Id recommend looking into the Carnivore diet as a starting point, for a short period of time to correct any A1C or blood sugar concerns. After that you could begin to test reintroducing foods and carbs to find what limitations you have. If you have any specific questions or want any help, feel free to reach out to me.

22. Jan 26, 2020 at 10:17 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I'm trying to gravitate toward Carnivore as well. The big bonus in my mind is that it makes grocery shopping so much easier.

23. Jan 26, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    Elduder

Elduder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Easier yes, cheaper no. Lol

Hbjeff likes this.
  24. Jan 26, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    People spend a shit load of money on processed food and snacks tho.

AKJ78 and Wynnded like this.
  25. Jan 26, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I didn't do a spreadsheet or anything, but it's been cheaper for me. There is zero wasted food. I'm solo though and if I'm away from home and can't find something that fits the bill, I just fast. Everyone's situation and experience will differ.

Hbjeff likes this.
  26. Jan 26, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    I am just trying to eat healthier, well for the most part. My doctor and I had this conversation back in October and I will be back in Feb for my yearly 9 viles of blood draw. I will tell you folks what I told him, I stress eat Its how I cope with shit, by that I mean I don't sit around and shovel food in, no I eat the wrong things at the wrong times because well it makes me fell better and a coke actually calms me down.

By the wrong things at the wrong times, well mostly its at work, need to step away from the desk for a minute, pressure is mounting, whatever the issues are, grab a coke, bag of peanut MMs and chill for a bit. Pissed off when I leave work, or just beat down tired, don't want to cook, hello chic fil a app, and bam dinner. you get the idea.

27. Jan 26, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    tt2323

tt2323 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum crewmax
    Nutrition is everything as you may know for a diabetic. Glad to see you are motivated for change! Were you started on an oral medication? Do you have weight to lose? Don’t let it defeat you clean up your diet.. add some exercise and see where your A1C goes in 90 days

28. Jan 26, 2020 at 11:12 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Gotta dial back the sugar man, it isn't easy but it is huge.

29. Jan 26, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Indeed it is, I have done it before and it makes a difference after a week I feel lighter, cant explain it other than that, even my limbs feel different. Its strange.

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Jan 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    You may want to consider taking to a Registered Dietician, they're trained in helping you with these questions better than your normal GP.

The best way of eating is the one you can stick with, I'd also suggest you take a look at the glycemic index/load and how that affects blood sugar levels.

There's also some evidence of dropping 10% body weight to help manage glucose more effectively.

I've been fortunate that it doesn't run in my family but the last few years my levels have been creeping up and putting me in a higher risk of developing Type 2. I'm trying a few different things to hopefully be able to manage without meds.

Products Discussed in

To Top