1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Desperately looking for info on Renegade Truck Covers

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by LunaPro, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jan 13, 2021 at 6:34 AM
    LunaPro

LunaPro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dreux
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Pro
    Just beginning
    I live in PA and I am surrounded by Diamondback covers. And I know they are robust. I have studied them and have come so close to pulling the trigger on one several times. The issue I have is the cleats and the hinges. I don't find it appealing. Not to mention the cost when I seem to get a new truck every two seasons. In my search over the years I have had four or five serious tonneaus. Each one had some flaw or drawback that kept me from loving them. Circle back to the Diamondback. Functionally it may be quite perfect.

Type in renegade truckcovers and bang....... a rival. A challenger. One serious ass cover with clean lines and the massive use of S-Channels for tie downs. Tri fold with pretty easy removal. Terrific locking mechanism. Problem is they are made across the country with little or no presence. (just do a search here)

Any one ...... any one have an opinion or experience with one of these covers???

I spoke to the owner yesterday and he seems like a good dude who is confident in making an outstanding product.

I think I have settled the truck issues and anticipate keeping my 21 Tundra for an indefinite amount of time. So pour on the mods!!

Thanks for any help or information!!

2. Jan 17, 2021 at 4:23 PM
    LunaPro

LunaPro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dreux
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Pro
    Just beginning
    So it appears no one has heard of the Renegade Truck covers. Has anyone installed L Track to a Diamondback cover??

3. Jan 17, 2021 at 4:54 PM
    Willard

Willard New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Frontier Pro-4X
    I don’t see any reason you can’t install the L track. Diamondback offers the front runner track system, and tons of people bolt on all kinds of other accessories.

4. Jan 31, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    Super Duty 565

Super Duty 565 New Member

Member:
    Hey @LunaPro

So I own a Renegade Tonneau Cover for 9 months. It's sitting on top of my half-ton. I can say it is money well spent. I have a buddy that owns a DiamondBack so I compared it directly to the Renegade. Here are a few points why I opted for the Renegade over the diamondback and never looked back.

Functionality:

DiamondBack opens like a clamshell, which is really handy for small items. As soon as you haul something like a dresser or something taller you have to remove the panel. That is kind of pain because you have to remove the struts and then slide the panel off. Then it leaves the middle section so you never have full access without tools and a handful of minutes.

Renegade Cover It is trifold and you can fold it up and there is no height restriction on the cargo hauled. I have removed the cover a time or two and it takes seconds with no tools.

DiamondBack has a lot of hardware protruding ontop. If you have to haul a mattress you run a serious risk of ripping it. The Tiedown anchors are fixed to the cover.

Renegade Cover is flat on top, all of the hardware is housed underneath. This makes it easy to slide things ontop into place. The Tiedown anchors are configurable and place and remove within seconds. This is a NO BRAINER better design.

Oh by the way my buddy who owns his diamondback screwed L-track on his cover so he could add bike mounts. (I promise I am not making this up) Now that he is seen a Renegade he is buying one for his next truck. If you are going to keep this truck no question you won't regret buying a www.renegadecovers.com

Good luck shopping,

One happy Renegade Cover Customer.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  5. Feb 3, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    LunaPro

LunaPro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dreux
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Pro
    Just beginning
    SD thanks for the info!! Those are good reasons and I ordered my Renegade Cover a couple of days ago. I cant wait to get it.

Thanks again

6. Feb 4, 2021 at 9:12 AM
    Super Duty 565

Super Duty 565 New Member

Member:
    That is sweet throw a picture up so we can see it when you get it installed.

7. Mar 7, 2021 at 3:06 AM
    Wine Truck

Wine Truck New Member

Member:
    Are the rails useable with the Renegade cover?

8. Mar 18, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    LunaPro

LunaPro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dreux
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Pro
    Just beginning
    Im still waiting for delivery. Getting a little frustrated. As soon as I get it I will try my hand at posting the installation.

9. May 7, 2021 at 10:27 PM
    WillGloy

WillGloy New Member

Member:
    Hey LunaPro;
    Did you ever receive your Bed Cover? I've placed an order back in the first part of January and it's now 4 months later and they keep telling me - it will ship in two weeks.
    I know they are a small company but the customer service end of the business is lacking a bit and leading to frustration.

10. May 9, 2021 at 5:43 AM
    LunaPro

LunaPro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dreux
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Pro
    Just beginning
    I am still waiting and get put off every time I contact them. Im really getting angry. Getting close to demanding a refund. I have been trying to be patient and not blow them up on social media or on the forums. Giving them the benefit of COVID's impact on their business.

11. May 9, 2021 at 6:17 AM
    BlackSheep

BlackSheep caffeinated member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black DC 5.7L 4x4
    held together by duct tape and baling wire
    Your story is not an isolated one. Even before Covid, guys complained on here of long wait times to receive accessories for our trucks. This is true for caps, bumpers, sliders, bed drawer systems, headlights, you name it, and it appears no vendor was excepted from this, even the most well-reputed ones. This only gotten worse since Covid messed up everyone’s supply chains. My guess is that Tundra owners make up a small percentage of these vendors’ client base, and their bread and butter are products for the Big 3 truck makers, so Tundra stuff isn’t always on hand or the first to be fabricated after order.

I get being frustrated with continuing to be pushed back, but maybe try to focus on the bright side? Tell yourself, at least they’re still focused on producing a quality product (if they’re slammed) and not just churning out subpar stuff, or maybe be thankful that they continue to source quality materials, even if it takes longer than going with what’s more readily available.

12. May 9, 2021 at 6:21 AM
    LunaPro

LunaPro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dreux
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Pro
    Just beginning
    No doubt.... I have told Dave the owner multiple times that I respect that they are not pushing it through and would rather they maintain same standards. Still optimistic and excited for what looks like a great cover. Thanks for the positive words of encouragement.

BlackSheep likes this.
  13. May 9, 2021 at 6:24 AM
    BlackSheep

BlackSheep caffeinated member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black DC 5.7L 4x4
    held together by duct tape and baling wire
    Sure thing, hang in there...I think after going through this thread, I found my bed cover if I ever do away with the cap. The renegade sounds awesome :thumbsup:

14. Jun 6, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    CHIEF03

CHIEF03 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport
    Bedliner, Diamondback HD Cover,
    Diamondback is a superior company. There are certain elements to the Renegade I find appealing, but when shipping is $450.00 on top of $2,500 for the cover, I don’t see the cost increase as worth it. If you forget to pull the lock to the rear and the cover closes, good luck bending the bars back in shape. To haul plywood on my Diamondback I just put a 2x4 on either side to keep it above the locks.

Rodtheviking likes this.
  15. Jun 7, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    LunaPro

LunaPro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dreux
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Pro
    Just beginning
    Pretty excited to get my cover. Should be in a few days. I admit im frustrated but i believe I am going to love the cover. I have the Gecko kits to install in bed and engine bay so as soon as I get cover those will be completed as well. Illl take pics and post something. Fingers crossed!!

16. Jun 7, 2021 at 4:03 PM
    1stgentundradriver

1stgentundradriver Each sticker adds at least 5hp

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Silverdale Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4x4 Limited
    A few
    Looking forward to see how this works. Sure wish they had a cover for 1st gems, but I guess the diamondback could work too. Either way. I saw this cover a while back while looking at diamondbacks and immediately looked for one for my first Gen but they don’t make it.

17. Jun 29, 2021 at 7:01 AM
    Abrown3912

Abrown3912 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax
    Did you ever get your cover?

18. Jun 29, 2021 at 4:07 PM
    LunaPro

LunaPro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dreux
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax Pro
    Just beginning
    Hey guys I did get my cover. Unfortunately I havent had time to post. My work has been overwhelming and I havent had the time to do you right. I installed the cover and the Gecko lights in the bed and in the engine compartment as well! Cover is great! Clearly some production issues and delays but the guy has been responsive and honest. I will post something soon.

19. Jun 29, 2021 at 5:26 PM
    Abrown3912

Abrown3912 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax
    Glad you got your cover and thanks for replying. I’m interested in ordering one and it looks like I need to pull the trigger soon if I want to have it anytime soon.

20. Aug 12, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    HavingFun

HavingFun New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    I have owned a Diamondback for a Dodge 3500 which I recently sold. Now awaiting a new 2022 truck but in the meantime I am shopping for a new hardcover.
    Very interested in the Renegade for the features already mentioned and if all things were otherwise equal, I would purchase the Renegade vise the Diamondback. Having said that, not all things are equal. First of all, I spoke with the Renegade rep yesterday and he said right up front that there is a 15 week backlog so don't be in a rush for one. Second point is that when you compare to a similarly equipped Diamondback lid, they are more expensive and "yes" you have to pay an additional $450 for shipping. All in all, the Renegade would cost me about $3K delivered when I can get a Diamondback for something just over $2K. Oddly too, they wanted to charge me UT sales tax on the lid. When I advised that I lived in VA they said they are required to collect sales tax from the state or origin. I advised that I had never seen that from any vendor and that worst case scenario, is that they collect the receive state's tax under a mutual agreement. He was unaware of that and said he'd investigate. Bottom line I do believe the Renegade is a superior product for my application but there are probably too many "flies-in-the-ointment" for my tastes. Not saying I won't order one but I need to do a whole lot more negotiating with them on a few points.

21. Feb 2, 2022 at 7:48 PM
    Ray D

Ray D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Winnipeg, MB
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Hybrid Limited L TRD OR 4X4
    Hi, LunaPro. Is there a chance you could provide an update regarding your level of satisfaction with the Renegade cover? A couple of us 3rd gen Tundra owners and soon to be owners are interested in the Renegade but it’s hard to find any independent reviews. Thanks.

22. Feb 14, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    GrayWolf

GrayWolf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Gray Tundra Platinum
    Current wait (ship date) 22-26 weeks or let’s just say 6 months. For the 2.5 Gen.

I just finished reading the Diamondback thread. SUPER info. BUT….. I was not sold on the locks and tie downs or the clam shell doors. (Ok, I was until I seen the video of the Renegade) Of course you have the option to leave the tie downs off, but not the locks. I came across the side by side comparison YouTube video of the Renegade and the Diamondback covers (biased to the Renegade).

I like everything I am seeing with the Renegade, with the tri-fold panels, multi point location where the tie down can be put (your choice), locked from inside the bed and looks like several other options. Also seals the bed from water.

So, I’m in to hear more first hand information about the Renegade and SEE the Renegade on the truck.

Ray D and Old.Ski.Bum like this.
  23. Feb 23, 2022 at 1:45 PM
    Old.Ski.Bum

Old.Ski.Bum New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2021 Luna Rock TRD PRO

I saw the 22-26 weeks on the Renegade website. I have a DiamondBack cover. It works as advertised; solid and can stand up to abuse. But the issue I have is the only place I can put a Dometic fridge in the bed is in the middle of the bed. The arms that lock the cover drop down on each side. I would love to put the fridge to the side. I know this is a small complaint but that’s my rub. Also having the cover lock from the inside, Renegade, seems better here in the Northeast because of ice and salt. My 2 cents! But it’s a great tonneau.

24. Aug 14, 2022 at 4:12 PM
    French Avocado

French Avocado Double Entundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Utah / Wyo
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum MGM; 2008 Ltd TRD SRP
    @LunaPro - current thoughts on the Renegade Cover? Trying to decide whether to wait and get the DiamondBack.

25. Sep 3, 2022 at 3:42 PM
    robrivas498

robrivas498 New Member

Member:
    I have a renegade and it's been great. DYOR but you can read reviews for renegade covers here.

26. Sep 5, 2022 at 6:32 PM
    French Avocado

French Avocado Double Entundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Utah / Wyo
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum MGM; 2008 Ltd TRD SRP
    Did you apply extra rubber seal of some kind to prevent water leakage into the bed? If so, what worked best?

Products Discussed in

To Top