1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deleting non JBL factory amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Handbanana, May 13, 2021.

1. May 13, 2021 at 12:00 PM
    Handbanana

Handbanana [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TSS CM 4x4
    Trd sway front Trd sway rear Trd shift knob Nitto ridge grapplers OEM LED FOGS
    Previously I had a audio shop install a five channel amplifier in my tundra. I ended up adding a mono amplifier to power 2 jl 8inch micro subwoofers being that the fifth channel amplifier wouldn’t be strong enough I’m trying to install it under the passenger seat because the 5 channel is under the driver seat. While installing the mono amp under the passenger seat I noticed that the factory amplifier was still connected, with further investigation I realize that they had spliced into the speaker wires from behind the unit and not bypassing the factory amp. So basically the wires go from the head unit to the five channel amp them back to the factory amp then to the speakers. This would explain why I kept getting hissing and popping noises when I tried to use my factory head unit. I ended up upgrading to a alpine halo nine which help the problem but I still feel that the 6 x 9 vocals lack some bass. After doing some research I’ve learned that bypassing/deleting the factory amplifier helps give a cleaner and better signal thus restoring Bass. My question is if I’ve bypassed the factory amplifier completely, Will I lose other features? I plan on using a pre-wired harness. Can I just splice those two harnesses together to achieve what I am looking for or should I just leave it the way it is? Taking more out of the equation will help in the future when troubleshooting issues or upgrading the audio system even more.

https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/41112.html

2. May 13, 2021 at 12:48 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    Yep, that’s exactly what I did to bypass mine. Their harnesses are good.

Edit to add: you won’t lose any features. It should actually work better for you once bypassed.

Handbanana[OP] likes this.
  3. May 13, 2021 at 12:59 PM
    Handbanana

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TSS CM 4x4
    Did you bypass the factory amplifier or did you type in a aftermarket amplifier at that location? Do the pins all lineup exactly? Meaning are both plugs pinned the same inputs and outputs? I’m trying to bypass the factory amp with this harness and then stuffing it under the carpet to make room for my new amp

4. May 13, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    TRDFerguson

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    I bypassed the factory amp after I swapped head units. The colors for the speaker wires line up, yes, and they plug into the correct factory positions. You'll basically loop the rear speaker wires into the one harness, and mate the front speaker wires between the two. You can just cap/tape/depin the power and ground wires.

5. May 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM
    Handbanana

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TSS CM 4x4
    This is exactly what I needed to know thank you very much

6. May 16, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    Handbanana

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TSS CM 4x4
    So basically I receive the harnesses today but looking at the wiring diagram it doesn’t seem like they match up completely I believe if I bypass the harness I will basically lose the ability To isolate speakers individually. Also for the rear tweeters I’m not sure which ones those are on the wiring schematic. Like I mentioned before I’m not trying to add an amplifier I’m just trying to bypass the factory one completely.

image.jpg

7. May 16, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    Handbanana

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TSS CM 4x4
    Never mind I just figured it out apparently the previous installer bypass the factory amplifier but never actually unplug the app I am plug the factory amp just to see what would happen and the speakers sound 10 times better I’m actually getting based out of the aftermarket 6 x 9 focal speakers hell even the 6 1/2 is in the rear coaxial is our banging it’s just goes to prove that unplugging the factory amplifier will give you a better signal and not limit the lower Frequencies that the aftermarket head unit is trying to send to the speakers

8. May 16, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    TRDFerguson

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    So the previous owner ran separate cables to the door speakers? Basically the doors are wired inline with the dash speakers, with the amp in between. You need to be careful with your impedance load on each channel because of this. Also, the factory amp has a built in high pass filter and explains the lack of vocals.

9. May 16, 2021 at 7:52 PM
    jhardy1979

jhardy1979 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2015 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    I just added a new head unit to my truck. Will bypassing the non jbl factory amp make it sound better?

10. May 16, 2021 at 7:56 PM
    TRDFerguson

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    If you still have the stock speakers you probably won’t notice much. If you replace with full range, then yeah you’ll hear a difference.

jhardy1979[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 17, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    Handbanana

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TSS CM 4x4
    Yes focal full range 6x9 coaxial

jhardy1979 likes this.
  12. May 30, 2021 at 8:44 PM
    jhardy1979

jhardy1979 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2015 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4

I installed my bypass harness tonight and I can for sure tell a pretty big difference.

13. Sep 7, 2021 at 2:45 PM
    Shaff777

Shaff777 Rocking the Tundra since 2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    2020 cement SR5
    Boss 2.5 Aluma kit. SPC UCA’s Color matched front surround Scs Ray 10 wheels. Cooper AT3 XLT’s 295/70/18
    Been reading through this post for the last few weeks. Upgrading my amp under the passenger seat to a kicker key 200 amp and removed the stock amp completely.
    Also added new door speakers and an 8 inch JL sub in the back. This harness was a lifesaver, and allowed removal of the factory amp while keeping the stock HU. The sound is now officially amazing…couldn’t be happier….

14. Sep 7, 2021 at 4:25 PM
    Handbanana

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TSS CM 4x4
    Glad you like it. I’ve got a similar set up except 2 jl audio 8inch micro subs. They bang. Read my other thread on the speakers I installed

Products Discussed in

To Top