1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership Warranty Craziness

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Over the LINE, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Feb 2, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE [OP] New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    So, I am at the dealership two days ago for service and have them look for an error code because I had a "brake" warning light while out of town. Search turns up no stored error codes.

This morning I get the warning light again (about 1000 miles since the last time) so I decide to drive straight to the dealer and not turn off the engine. I am told that unless I disconnect the wiring for my winch and off road lights no warranty. The only places I am connected to this truck are the Positive and Negative terminals for the battery (and a few local negative spots but they either did not notice or are unconcerned). I have done so but need ammunition because I want to settle this argument once and for all. This truck is less than a year old with about 19K of a 125K warranty. I don't want to be forced to do this every time it goes to the dealer. Below is what it looks like under my hood. It has been installed since about 2-3K miles.

P7050118.jpg
    P7050119.jpg

2. Feb 2, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    Over the LINE

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    This is the best one I have found in New Orleans. I have not had any issues with them since 2004, body shop excepted.

3. Feb 2, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    So they're saying because you hooked up a winch and off road lights on your off road truck that they won't honor the warranty on your brakes?? That's ridiculous.

4. Feb 2, 2017 at 2:35 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Magnuson act. Tell them to prove it!

CM-LENNY and joonbug like this.
  5. Feb 2, 2017 at 2:36 PM
    Over the LINE

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Not exactly. They said they would not work on it on a warranty basis unless I disconnected my aftermarket gear and they have still not stated that anything is wrong to perform a warranty repair and won't until they re-inspect now that I have disconnected winch and lights. Funny, they did not mention anything about disconnecting the third brake light on the camper shell. That is tapped into the brake electrical circuit, at least on the light side.

6. Feb 2, 2017 at 2:39 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Well that's still ridiculous, but atleast they're not trying to say you'll lose your warranty. Maybe add some kind of quick disconnect on the battery for those two things if you don't want to fight it?

7. Feb 2, 2017 at 2:41 PM
    ej63090

ej63090 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    McHenry, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5
    Could be that they wont GUARENTEE warranty on it due to it. They may essentially be saying, you need to authorize us to be able to bill you if we find an issue with your wiring to be at fault. Essentially don't want their tech to be skunked on his diagnosis time if it is not under warranty and you won't pay to fix.

Otherwise they are just being asses.

8. Feb 2, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    I like the "quick" disconnect idea. I think I'll do that to mine since I have some things connected to the battery positives.

9. Feb 2, 2017 at 4:31 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    If it was just a brake warning light, check your brake fluid level, and if low, your front pad thickness and for any leaks.

10. Feb 2, 2017 at 5:08 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Is this the possible diagnosis you're looking for? Wow! That's one stupid sentence. Is the camper brake light the problem?

11. Feb 3, 2017 at 5:27 AM
    Over the LINE

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Not sure what you mean by "stupid sentence". Sounds like you are blaming me for not pointing out the camper shell to the dealer. It's pretty big and hard to miss. Also, I'm thinking they have seen a camper shell before and know how they are connected. Not that I haven't been forced to explain systems and how they work to "mechanics" before so I can see where I might need to point this out. I just didn't think about it while I was driving to Harbor Freight to buy a set of wrenches so I could disconnect cables to winch and off-road lights in the dealer parking lot. I really didn't think about it until that "stupid sentence" was typed.

I'm not looking for any specific diagnosis I just want whatever is causing the warning light to be repaired so I can get my truck back. I sure don't want to try to tow and launch my boat tomorrow with the tinker toy nightmare Nissan eco crap I rented yesterday. Nor do I want to reschedule my next week based on no truck. I certainly don't want to spend the next six months arguing with the camper top guys about my shop and rental bill if there is something wrong with the third brake light wiring.

12. Feb 3, 2017 at 5:30 AM
    Over the LINE

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    When it went off on my trip I checked fluid, OK. I also did a visual for leaks. Trucks only got 18K and a lot of that is road trips so it should not need a brake job yet.

13. Feb 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    No, not your sentence, MINE. That's why I rephrased it. I'm really sorry for the confusion.

14. Feb 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    ej63090

ej63090 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    McHenry, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5
    I'd just tell them to cool their jets and that you'd be happy to pay for their time if they can find that it is a fault of the add-on's on the truck.

Chances are it is not. They may have entitled techs that wont look at it without the advisor getting them diagnosis time. I had some techs that would be like that and others that assumed innocence until proven guilty. Guess who got the gravy work?

If that doesn't work, find a better dealer.

15. Feb 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    Wvmoonshiner

Wvmoonshiner 2020 T4R Venture SE

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 T4R Venture Midnight black
    Had the same problem. I had a trailor brake error come up. Took it to dealer but they seen I had a aftermarket remote start installed and would not even test anything until I disconnected the remote start. Afterwards they replaced trailor brake controller. I guess it's just policy but one that not all dealers observe. It's crazy.

16. Feb 3, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    Ryan Mc.

Ryan Mc. New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Mission Viejo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7L
    Hand made bed divider, bed d-rings
    IMHO it kind of looks like a rat's nest of wires. They see that and immediately say "No". They don't want to be liable for fixing any aftermarket components. I suggest moving all of your connections off of the battery terminals...maybe move them to a separate auxiliary terminal block...?

Capture+_2017-02-03-20-13-51.jpg

17. Feb 3, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    14limited

14limited Diehard Florida State fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    14 limited 4wd
    3" OME magnum front bumper and steps spyder headlights MB TKO wheels
    Toyota of New Orleans

18. Feb 4, 2017 at 6:21 AM
    Over the LINE

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    I agree it looks like a rats nest. It is not how I like to do things but space is pretty limited under the hood on the drivers side. I could clean it up some with a fuse block but it will still have the gang of heavy gauge winch wiring and the winch control box sitting on top of the battery. My current setup has two (+) connections and two (-) to the battery, that won't change unless I tap into the fuse factory fuse box. I avoided that to stop the warranty arguments.

This is what my work usually looks like, so I know how to do it.

Image100.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top