1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership Observation (Tacomas)

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by Rngr188, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Sep 22, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] Ranked the best new member of all time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    Was wandering around the dealership today and looked at Tacomas then started noticing where they were made. Now when the new Gen was first released I thought I had to have one but then read about their issues in TW, some were trying to correlate if it was US made models or Mexico made models. I totally forgot some were made in Mexico because after writing them off I bought a new Tundra and haven't looked at anything Tacoma related since. Today I noticed all the crew cab models were Mexican (TRD OR, TRD Sport, Limited, SR5) and the only US made ones were the double cab models. But what caught my attention was the sticker that lists the percentage of country of origin parts came from which I've never seen. No rhyme or reason and all automatics the country of origin for transmission was US or Tiawan. What's up with that? Every Tundra was obviously San Antonio assembled with engine and transmission US made. It seemed the Tacoma transmission was flip a coin US or Tiawan.

2. Sep 22, 2018 at 4:16 PM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off Road Crew Max SR5 Tundra
    Husky Floor Mats, Diamond back lid, Coverking seat covers, More gas.
    There's a reason I kept my 2015 taco and my new truck is a tundra. I'm sure this was the same when the second gens took over the first gen tacos, but holy bullshit batman! I test drove a 2016 taco, it never did pick a gear it was happy with. I tried a stick and it was awkward at best. I drove a tundra and it became a no brainer. I was gonna go double cab sr5, but then I saw the crewmax. My checkbook still hasn't forgiven me, but there is no comparison between the two platforms of taco vs tundra. As for the 2mpg? I think the 380hp made up for it.

3. Nov 4, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    Brandisher

Brandisher Member

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Limited CM
    That’s interesting, didn’t know their transmission was made in Taiwan too. Just thought it was US or Mexico

Products Discussed in

To Top