1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer damage...

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by PA452, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Aug 16, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CM TRD O/R
    Bought a brand new 2018 Tundra just over two weeks ago. Worked in a drop-in bed liner and deck rail system into the deal. Deck rails came in pretty quick, but waited quite a while on the bed liner. During that wait, based on a lot of commentary and research, I decided I should go with a spray-on. Two weeks after I bought the truck the insert liner still wasn't in. Told them I'd like to switch to a spray-on if I could, which they agreed, I'd just have to pay the difference. Today was the day.

Now I never take my vehicles to a dealership or shop of any kind for anything I can do myself. I just don't trust them. I'm afraid their careless employees will damage something or screw something up. This dealer gave me free oil changes for life with the vehicle. I've had this deal in the past at other dealers, and like those, I will never use it, not once, because I don't trust them. But this isn't something I was ready to do myself.

I literally had a nightmare two nights ago that the dealer would jack this up. No joke. Dreamt that I got the truck and it literally looked like they took a front-end loader and dumped a load of road asphalt on it. :rofl:A friend of a friend just bought a Tundra earlier this year. His was used, but only had a couple thousand miles on it. First oil change he made the mistake of taking it to the dealership. A tech scraped the rear passenger fender along a wall while driving it. My friend and I kept joking I was going to get into some kind of similar mess.

This morning I drop the truck off, get a loaner. Head to work, busy day. I leave early so I can get to the dealership which is about an hour and 20 away from work in time. Part way there I get the call. "We got the liner put in, but afterward while detailing the truck we found there was a scratch on the rear passenger fender. We don't know how it got there, but we do know that it wasn't there when you brought it in so we're fixing it free of charge."..... :mad:

I call them back, they said their boss is back talking to the paint guys right then discussing it. Sounds like it'll be done tomorrow, but slight chance it would be done today. I'm too aggravated to go back to work, so I just keep heading for the dealership. I get there, find a guy. He walks me around looking for my truck. We find it in a bay, a guy is sanding down a huge portion of the passenger fender... Guy says, "The good news is there's nothing up under this fender, so I was able to reach up in there and just push these couple out.". I said, "So there were dents too?". He said, "Yeah, there were.".

Now I still don't know how they did it, it sounds to me like the damage was worse than they wanted me to know. I know accidents happen, but I swear every damn time I take a vehicle to a place for whatever, this type of work, tires, I don't care what it is, I feel like they manage to screw up something. It's one thing when it happens to an old vehicle. It's another when it happens to a two-week old, brand new $40,000+ truck. :annoyed:

Anyway, the guy claims I won't be able to tell anything ever happened tomorrow. We'll see. I just needed to vent.

2. Aug 16, 2018 at 6:13 PM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    That's what happens when dealerships pay their porters(the guys who drive the cars around the lot, back to the service bay, wash the cars, etc) $9 an hour. You get a bunch of burned out high school flunkies who don't give a fuck, show up to work drunk or high.

Rjlman, TheBeast, Black Wolf and 4 others like this.
  3. Aug 16, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    ethan1911

ethan1911 I’m one of those regular weird people

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2006 tundra double cab
    Dana 44 sas, 63” Chevy springs, shackle flip, 4.10 gears
    This is why I do everything except tires myself (which I really wish I would have done myself)after having a “tire tech” dig through my keys and unlock my camper shell without me knowing just to throw my old tires on top of my brand new leather door panels. People like these make all mechanics out to look like dumbasses and crooks.

Black Wolf, trdprobped17 and SR5SE like this.
  4. Aug 16, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Well, that tastes like a $h1t sandwich!

I’d request a lifetime written guarantee on their repair work, at a bare minimum.

5. Aug 16, 2018 at 6:29 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    The dealerships will do that and then try to hide it. Took the wife’s Sequoia to the dealership for an oil change, balance and rotation last year. When I went back to pick it up, as I walked around inspecting the vehicle before I take delivery of it. One of the chrome wheels had a nasty scratch on it. It went right back inside and gave them hell. Long story short, they gave us a brand new wheel replacement.
    $9???? I need to go do that job then:rofl::rofl:

Sas and landphil like this.
  6. Aug 16, 2018 at 6:32 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    Go raise hell!! Tell them that you’re going to report th m to Toyota and all. Believe me, they’ll offer you everything, including the kitchen sink:cheers::duel::sadviolin:

HighDesertSurfer likes this.
  7. Aug 16, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Turbo facepalm, F that!! Go shopping at their parts dept for compensation, none of this free fix, maybe give you a next oil change on us BS. Or maybe you should also “vent” on their social media pages.

F4297928-E613-4C0E-957F-539665F97CDE.jpg

8. Aug 16, 2018 at 6:58 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm trying to stay reasonably calm, but boy have I been pissed all evening. I didn't flip out when I was there. I'm going to give them the chance to really make this right.

Tomorrow I'm going to see what it looks like and really look it over hard. It better look new, like nothing ever happened. I'm also going to be very interested in the story I get about what happened. Because the story I got on the phone was that it got a scratch. They said they didn't know how it happened or where, but they did know that it wasn't there when I dropped it off. They probably didn't think I'd be showing up to see it without getting a call that it was complete, and when I did a tech let it slip that there were dents. I doubt dents happened without someone knowing how; though I believe the service managers may not know if it was a tech who won't fess up to it. Tomorrow I'll be dealing with a different service manager as the one who called me today is off tomorrow. If I get the sense that they're bullshitting me on the story, it's going to get worse. I want to know what happened so I know what I need to watch out for.

And I like the idea that landphil had about getting a written lifetime warranty on their repair work.

9. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Sorry man, that sucks. I'm totally with you on never wanting to leave my truck with anyone. The day I got my liner sprayed they obviously were dragging the hose along the paint. Luckily I just got a little surface scrape that easily buffed out, but that still really pissed me off—I can't even imagine how furious I'd have been if I were in your position.

10. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    I worked at a dealership as a "Porter" part time while I was in college. I was able to pick up hours before/between/after classes so it was nice to get a lot of hours in. Everything had to be backed in, and the parking spaces are not your standard width, they needed them smaller so they could fit more cars. Everytime you get out the door could barely open. Standard procedure for me was to use my hand on the edge of the door so doors wouldn't make contact. That dealership is huge, 13 brands and I think 80+ service bays. We were typically running non stop, trying to keep up.

I am OCD and treated others' vehicles as I would my own.

At closing time after everything was parked we would put signs in the lots so that people knew not to block the service lanes, drop off areas, etc.

Well one night another Porter decided he would try something new and put the signs in the area where they need to be sideways so customers wouldn't read them, then at closing he would just turn them. Mind you this was after dark and he didn't tell anyone else.

Well as I am backing a vehicle up for a customer I put it in a spot and BAM! Right in front of the customer I hit this BLACK sign put in a parking space sideways. No way I was able to see that thing.

I apologized to the customer who no doubt assumed I was some drunk or high burnout P.O.S like you are gouping these guys.

Sh*t happens.

I learned a real lot about people who tip and people who don't tip. Where they came from in life, where they went, and how they got there.

Yeah, there were some burnouts, but there were some great dudes too.

Of all the cars I drove and backed that was my only issue.

Sorry for your troubles OP.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  11. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Free lifetime oil changes? That’s pretty good. I would suggest using them but removing the skid plate before you bring the truck in for service. Mark the oil filter housing to make sure they remove it as well as inspect the color of your oil before and after. But I can see you after this predicament not ever going back again LOL

12. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    That just sucks!

Before you walk in there tomorrow, look around the area you dropped it off and see if they have security cameras. If so demand to see the video, most places have the recordings for at least 30 days so don't let them tell you the recordings are looped and they don't have that anymore.
    Hopefully your truck is repaired properly.

I think I would make them replace it with a brand new truck.
    Good luck.

HighDesertSurfer and landphil like this.
  13. Aug 17, 2018 at 6:16 AM
    4sallypat

4sallypat New Member

Member:
    I hear the OP's frustration and anger. Had the same thing happen:

My current leased Land Rover was in service for a series of annoying mechanical issues like rattling, clicking, tapping and all kinds of squeaking.
    Had a Jag F Pace 35t loaner which was a pocket rocket and made the day nice.
    Got a call from the service advisor that my car was backed into an overhang by a porter and the rear 3rd brake light spoiler was crushed.

They said, just stay in the loaner and they will fix it at their certified body shop they own (Penske Automotive group).

About 2 weeks later, they finally said it was done.
    Came in an found that whoever did the repair did not properly bolt the new spoiler back on and had paint overspray.
    The service manager and GM got involved, got me back into the loaner, and sent it back to the body shop.
    Finally got the car back after a month and it was looking like new.
    Since they did the repairs, there was no accident report, no insurance involvement, and no negatives on Carfax, etc...

I was not happy with that event, but at least they will get the car back and I can walk away.

The new Tundra I am looking now will be a keepers and will really anger me if something like that happens.

14. Aug 17, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    TRD PRO 17

TRD PRO 17 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Crewmax TRD PRO
    At a minimum you should not have to pay the difference for the spray in liner.

15. Aug 17, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    sprtbkr

sprtbkr Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 4x4 Double Cab - Inferno
    TRD Wheels & Tires, Double Cab Fold-down Back Seat mod, LED Interior Lighting, Turned Off Seat Belt Chime, Franken-key (Flip Key), Duraliner Bed Liner, Bed Rails, Hood Wind Deflector, Console Gun Safe, iBoard 5" Running Boards, TRD Sport Bed Vinyl, Fortin Evo One Remote Start with Mycar Cellular Module, Plasti-dipped Badges and Bumper End Caps, Tinted front windows, Extang Solid Fold 2.0, Pop-N-Lock, TUNDRA tailgate inserts, RCI Powder Coated Skid Plate - coming soon - 12” android radio, oemaudio+ Reference 500Q, under dash/seat lighting.
    I had a similar experience at my dealer in Denver. But I bought the truck with a ding on the passenger door with a "We-Owe" of having them have it removed with Paintless Dent Repair. This is on my 2018 Tundra. The difference is I bought the truck knowing that PDR could get the ding out easily.

I subsequently found a couple other factory paint defects, and they said they'd take care of it. The body/paint shop they used made a mess! Had to take it back to them a second time to fix the new issues they introduced - swirls in the paint, lack of luster in areas they resprayed clear coat, and solvent pop. I'm still not happy with what they did, but you have to look very closely in the right light to find any remaining defects, so I'm letting it go. I was able to polish the worst of it out myself. Never EVER trust your vehicle to Ultimate Auto Body Works in Denver.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  16. Aug 17, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
  17. Aug 17, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Amen

18. Aug 17, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    mtTundra

mtTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum 4X4, 1997 Tacoma 4x4
    Longer list than the wife needs to know about....
    on the bright side at least your dealer owned it and called you ahead of time. I've been in similar situations but they wait to see if you'll notice and leave so they can claim it must have happened off their property.
    The simple fact they called you before you got there, and are making it right without trying to make you fight for it is a good sign.
    Having worked on cars for a living in a previous career I can attest even the most capable mechanics make mistakes and cars get damaged. That doesn't excuse the 17 year old lot boys breaking stuff like its their job, but still...
    Hope they get it fixed to your satisfaction.

Adam, Randy Morton, mtntop and 2 others like this.
  19. Aug 17, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    I get the frustration, but honestly (I'm about to get flamed here) I don't get the outright "Anger". Shit happens, they are called "Accidents" and I doubt it was intentional, if someone did it that way, they should be fired full stop. The fact they are making things right without question show's some credibility, let them fix it ask for some compensation in regards to the bed liner etc etc and walk away. I've had things like this happen in the past, and had to deal with deniability and people with no ethic or morals, count yourself lucky. Everything I own is just a "Thing" sure I want everything to be perfect, but that's an unrealistic way of looking at life.

As long as there are human beings touching things, mistakes can and will happen, maybe to you, maybe to someone else. Like a line out of the movie Breakfast Club "Screws fall out all the time, it's an imperfect world"

Sorry for the dent, and my soapbox moment is done. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

You know it's funny how we all react to things differently. Case in point, I had a truck broken into in front of my house one night, they stole my stereo but at least didn't hack up the wiring or dash doing the job. The fact that my truck was violated should've probably pissed me off, but it didn't compare to the fact that they stole my brand new box of Altoids as well. I mean, it was BRAND FRICKEN NEW!!!!!!! I think I only had one altoid out of it!!!

20. Aug 17, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CM SR5 4x4 w/Tow Pkg
    Honestly, I don't even want to comment. Just sitting here reading this gets me pissed off! We all know someone who this has happened to, including me. I just don't get it when sh*t like this happens. I mean it's not like they gave you scrambled eggs instead of fried, it's a $40,000-$50,000 vehicle for fu*$ks sake!

21. Aug 17, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    lawrenceb

lawrenceb New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    Ask for compensation and make sure its going to show up on Carfax.. which will ding the value of your vehicle by thousands of dollars. IF they balk at giving you money, get and attorney and sue for diminished value. When you trade your truck in if the appraiser puts a paint meter on it they will lower the trade value.

22. Aug 18, 2018 at 4:47 AM
    tundras00

tundras00 New Member

Member:
    Good, They saved you from ASPARTAME! ;)

Sorry OP! I know the dropping feeling you have now. It will get better with time.

23. Aug 18, 2018 at 5:11 AM
    Garvin74

Garvin74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra CM SR5
    This...... bare minimum

24. Aug 18, 2018 at 6:19 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Surface scratches all over top of cab on my 2017 Tundra. Looked like something was rubbing in transport. Squeezed a Line-X and front clear bra out of them.
    Sucks that happened but I’ve come to expect that sort of thing from dealers.
    Have them fix it to your satisfaction and get some compensation for your troubles and move on.

25. Aug 18, 2018 at 6:43 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    Any update?

26. Aug 18, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Update:

Went to pick it up yesterday. Got there a little earlier than I think they were planning. I wanted to talk to the service guy in charge but he had left at 430 and I got there at 435. Waited a little bit until a guy came out and gave me my keys. Went outside to check it out. It had been raining, so it was wet. Examined the area where the damage was done. Couldn't find anything wrong, other than dust and stray tape adhesive that would come right off. I don't know if they rushed the cleaning because I got there early or if they would have left all that no matter what. But around that area I couldn't find any problems with the paint. Guy hung out there with me for a while as I looked; I told him at one point, "I'm sure you can understand, I'm going to be looking over this with a fine-toothed comb." He said, "I'd be looking with a magnifying glass if I was you." When it was apparent I was going to be a while he asked if he could step inside to attend to other customers, I said sure.

Checked the bed liner next; I think it came out pretty nice. There were two spots that I sort of questioned, but really it's probably fine. I've never had a spray-on so I don't entirely know what's normal. Overall I'm happy with the bed liner and the rails though.

Checked the paint around the rest of the truck. Found several chips in the paint on the driver's side rear door. I showed it to two employees, they agreed that they were definitely chips in the paint and said they can touch it up for me next week. As long as they fix those and it looks good, I'll be happy.

As for the price difference on the bed liner, I didn't even have to ask. Right away the girl at the desk checked the papers and said, "You owe us nothing."

I plan to ask for a warranty on the repair work they did, but the guy I need to talk to about that was the guy who had left. I got his cell number and am in contact with him about the paint chips in the door. I've sent him pictures and he said they can easily take care of them.

I asked the girl at the front desk and the other guy I was dealing with yesterday if they knew just what happened. The guy said he didn't know. The girl said she didn't have direct info but said she overheard something about a tripod jack, I don't know if it fell against it or what.

Bottom line, I understand accidents happen. I think they're doing a decent job of rectifying the situation. Whole thing obviously is very frustrating, but if they fix those chips right next week, confirm that nothing is going to show up on CarFax, and warranty the work they did, I will consider the matter resolved satisfactorily.

A friend of a friend bought a Tundra (pre-owned, but only a couple thousand miles) from another dealership this past spring. He took it in for an oil change and tire rotation or something and a tech while driving bumped the same fender that I had damaged into a wall. My dealership is handling this way better than his. That dealership didn't say anything, he had to find the damage himself and complain; apparently they offered to try to buff it out but they wouldn't repaint it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  27. Aug 18, 2018 at 7:14 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hear you are satisfied and everything went smoothly.

HighDesertSurfer likes this.
  28. Aug 18, 2018 at 7:19 AM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    I think the dealer took good care of you.

I had a situation a few months ago when I was getting my oil changed. I bought OEM black badges from roman and I was worried I would install them crooked. So after they changed my oil I had them remove the chrome and put the black badges on. Was raining when they finished so everything looked great. After I washed I noticed 2 things. One badge was not level and also a ding above one of the badges. Maybe from prying the old off, who knows. Anyway I called them on it and they made the badge level and had the ding fixed within a few days. I didn't ask for any compensation because they fixed the issue fast. I was happy with what they did.

NewImprovedRon and BTBAKER like this.
  29. Aug 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM
    18tundrasport

18tundrasport New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra dc sport 4x4 super white
    Lund step bars, afe filter, Trd flow accelerator
    Sorry I understand stuff happens, but that much of a repair I would fight for a replacement truck. Everyone busts their ass to afford these trucks, they need to correct the situation by replacing it.

ttc06 likes this.
  30. Aug 18, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Lol. You scratched my truck and I want a new one....

Products Discussed in

To Top